Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

Black Tank Smell Coming through Kitchen Cabinets

The black tank smell wafts up through the kitchen drawers and in around the stove in the kitchen, some even comes through heater vent in kitchen..some comes through the drawer in the bathroom...
We have installed a fan on the top black tank vent. blocked some pvc vent pipes under kitchen area. still have black tank smell wafting up in kitchen and bathroom cabinets, worse under kitchen cabinets.

Any help anyone?
Sunchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 PM   #2

Are you using septic treatment chemicals in both grey and black tanks?

You will get better replies from forum readers if you identify the rig you are inquiring about.
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Wow! Joined in 2008 and this is the first post. That has got to be a record.
A very belated welcome to the FRF. I agree with NamUSMC on providing a clue however the stink you describe may be generating from the gray tank and coming in thru stuck vents which happen to be located exactly where your stink emanates. If your coach age is commensurate with your join date and seldom used, you can try to unstick the vents. Many methods available. Also, maybe some black tank treatment in your gray tank might ease the odoriferousness but if it does, you have not solved the problem. I hope my shot in the dark helps.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchasers View Post
The black tank smell wafts up through the kitchen drawers and in around the stove in the kitchen, some even comes through heater vent in kitchen..some comes through the drawer in the bathroom...
We have installed a fan on the top black tank vent. blocked some pvc vent pipes under kitchen area. still have black tank smell wafting up in kitchen and bathroom cabinets, worse under kitchen cabinets.

Any help anyone?

Did you block the check valve drain vents under the cabinets? You can't do that. Just make sure they are working. They need to allow air in order to drain. Where did you put this Fan? On the roof? Do your p-traps have water in them?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #5

When mine sits for a time, the water in the P-traps evaporates and stinks up the place when I move. I have to remember to add some water before we leave again.

I also have an issue sometimes when I leave a rear vent open and have the air running. Some weird air vortex on the roof that sucks the black vent smell back into the coach. Have to remember to close that vent.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #6

update on original post

Our RV is a 2003 29' Sunseeker LE. My wife wrote the original post. We didn't put a fan on the vent - it is actually a venturi based vane on top of the vent pipe. I have tried putting plastic bags held in place with a rubber band over the under sink vents but that didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for the replies so far - they have given me some things to look into. It is still winter weather here (snow tomorrow) so it may be awhile before I can look at things up on the roof. The vent plumbing is not very accessible. Does anyone know if the grey tank is hooked into the black tank vent?
Sunchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchasers View Post
Our RV is a 2003 29' Sunseeker LE. My wife wrote the original post. We didn't put a fan on the vent - it is actually a venturi based vane on top of the vent pipe. I have tried putting plastic bags held in place with a rubber band over the under sink vents but that didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for the replies so far - they have given me some things to look into. It is still winter weather here (snow tomorrow) so it may be awhile before I can look at things up on the roof. The vent plumbing is not very accessible. Does anyone know if the grey tank is hooked into the black tank vent?

On my wildcat 5er, they separate. I have 3 roof vet caps. close your roof vents and see it goes away. Use a tank treatment.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Gray tanks can have just as bad (sometimes worse) smell than black tanks. Fill your gray tank and add some bleach, this will help sanitize and kill odor causing bacteria in your tank. The same can be done with black tanks. I would also change the vent under the sink, this is most likely where most of your smell is coming from.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I had the same problem.

It turned out to be a damp dishrag that was placed on an inside door towel hanger that had somehow fallen and became lost behind some pots.

Time, moisture, and bacteria worked their magic to create an awful smell.

Might want to search for a "non-tank" odor source. Maybe something died in there over the winter.

Sometimes the simple answer is correct.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #10

Don't rule out the smell could be from your grey tanks through the P traps that lost their gas seal when water evaporated. Those grey tanks can get rank smelling as everything in there gets ripe, sours and marinates... and can smell allot like you have a sewer black tank gas leak.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
Site Team

Tap in the air gaps on the plumbing they can stick. As mentioned, don't rule out grey tanks.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
would also change the vent under the sink, this is most likely where most of your smell is coming from.
I concur... I have changed those things with good results. Ahha... I found it.. they are indeed called "check valve drain vents". There were cheap ones and more expensive ones with a different mechanism to control sewer gas re-entry and we bought the expensive ones for each sink and had no more problems. Those were the Studor 20341 Mini-Vent - find them on amazon for about $20 each.
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

Leak

You may have a slight leak in black tank or plumbing. It also could be one of the seals on top of the black tank. Try dumping tank, flush it well then fill it until the water can be seen in toilet. You should be able to find any leaks.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #14

Clean or replace the air admittance valve beneath the kitchen sink. It is allowing air from the grey tank to enter. Also, when running the vent fan be sure to open a window or vent so that it does not suck air from the tank.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #15

Whew open a window... you are correct. MaxAir fans running didn't have a window open yet... flushed toilet and whiff... wow!
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
When mine sits for a time, the water in the P-traps evaporates and stinks up the place when I move. I have to remember to add some water before we leave again.

I also have an issue sometimes when I leave a rear vent open and have the air running. Some weird air vortex on the roof that sucks the black vent smell back into the coach. Have to remember to close that vent.
to help prevent that problem try pouring a tablespoon of cooking oil in each sink and shower just before you begin trip the home.

The oil prevents the water below from evaporating out of the trap.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #17

Make sure your plumbing vents on the roof are clear !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #18
Site Team

I suggest you wait until you get home then add a little water in each drain ( then add oil) . It is very likely that the bouncing of the unit on the trip home will slosh most all the water out of the trap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
to help prevent that problem try pouring a tablespoon of cooking oil in each sink and shower just before you begin trip the home.

The oil prevents the water below from evaporating out of the trap.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, cabinets, tank