Old 10-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

black top vs. rocks for storage

I am about to build a parking spot for our Sunseeker next to my garage. I have been told it can't sit on the grass or the moisture will kill my brake lines over the winter. Do I need to black top it or can I just lay a few inches of rocks and have it sit on the rock bed? Also, should it be slightly sloped to allow the water to run off the roof? I plan on putting a roof on next year, won't get it done this year. Thanks.

Ridpath88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Rocks, dirt, grass all have moisture come up out of the ground. Use a moisture barrier and put down stone but taper so water won't gather under it.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #3

When you say blacktop....if you mean asphalt, it has been said in the industry that the oils and such within asphalt’s composition can contaminate the rubber structure of tires.

If you’re parking long term.....
Parking on grass or dirt is bad because of moisture, plus you might sink in.
Asphalt is bad as stated above.
Concrete is ok, but expensive. If not thick enough, it can crack.
Gravel drains well and allows an amount of air circulation.

My gravel pad is basically level....you can alter with planks if needed.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I used to have a sloped stone RV pad next to my garage, but I now live in the Arizona desert...nothing but sand.

In Colorado (where my house was), I always leveled it side to side, but raised the front some to allow water run off.

I also had all of the stabilizers down.

Here in the desert I only put the front stabilizers down and left the back ones up while in storage as I was advised by an RV teck to only put down what you need in the sand as they are highways into the RV for ants!

As for the tires, I put all four of them on Lynx Leveler blocks with the flat Lynx block covers so that the grips on the blocks don't damage the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerNewTires.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	189735  

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #5

We park our TT at one side of our basement. It sits on gravel with one side on leveling blocks and the other side on the gravel. All four stabilizer jacks are down as is the tongue jack. It is under a metal roof. I use borax powder around - not on the base of each jack and the tires to discourage ants.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #6

Parking

Asphaltic concrete is soft and will depress if parked upon for long periods, PCC, or Portland Cement Concrete is best, use #3 rebar on 16 centers with #4 rebar perimeter in 8x8 thickened edges. Do it right do it once.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

In my town and county you have a very big tax increase with cement.
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
danny4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Attachment 189758

Name:	P7204323.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	189759

Name:	P7204329.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	189760

Name:	P7204331.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	189761We stored our Sunseeker on crushed limestone for a couple of years without problems. It was in a storage area. As for your rock vs blacktop, have you considered millings (or sometimes referred to as millage). This is recycled roadway blacktop that has been pulverized. When rolled, it compresses like a blacktop surface, so water does not penetrate and it does not rut. We had half of our drive done with this stuff a couple years ago and it is holding up well including snow plowing and snow blowing. If you are talking rock, as in limestone, this has a tendency to settle, rut, get stuck in the treads and track. River gravel will do the same.

As for cost, we had the drive graded and 6" of millings rolled in for about the same cost of limestone and about a fourth of the cost of blacktop. If you can find an excavator that has access to millings, it could be your ticket to a good surface.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #9

Ive never heard of moisture damaging brake lines if parked over grass. Ive also never heard of asphalt contaminating tire rubber. I guess Ive learned 2 things from reading this thread. Ive had boats for years, one had trailer brakes and was always parked on grass. I never had issues with the trailer brakes. Only issues with the boat. Lots and lots of issues.
With that being said, I park my TT on a pad made of recycled asphalt which is basically old asphalt road that was tore out and crushed up into gravel sized pieces. It more or less works just like gravel and drains well. I used that just because it was cheap. After the first few months before the recycled asphalt was completely packed, I noticed the tires sinking into ruts. So I laid down some 1/2" thick 12" x 12" pieces of steel scrap I had in the shop to park the tires on and give them a bigger foot print. So thats what I currently use, but its probably going to get replaced with cement when I repour the section in front of my garage in a couple years.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #10

I am in the same situation as we enter our first season of winter storage. Our trailer is new to us but has been stored outside its whole life, sometimes covered, but the previous owner claimed to have rodent issues when he tried to use a cover. We have a spot on our lawn we'd like to keep it, or on the side of our garage. The side of the garage is 3/4 crushed bluestone, but my truck, which has been parked there for about 8 years, is showing what I would consider to be premature rust on the undercarriage, so I believe the moisture issue. I like the idea of a slight grade with plastic under stone. I'd like concrete, too but it is outside the budget and will cause problems with our city if we want to file for permits in the future.

Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, storage