Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
BLURAY player in bedroom

We have a 3170ds with the TV in the bedroom. I am scratching my head how to wire a player into this setup. The TV is pretty much firm against the cabinet and on the inside of the cabinets behind it there is really no access to the TV at all. There is a small hole that a few cables run through to get to the tv but its not in the same spot on the other side of the cabinet outside.

My question is. how in the heck to you wire a player up to this TV?? Is there a special trick to running cables? How do I access the back of these tvs that are hard mounted to the walls and cabinets. They don't swival at all.

Help!
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #2

The TV is mounted on a "V" type bracket. Place both hands on the bottom of the TV in the small gap between the cabinet and lift your palms up. It might take a little pressure since it does wedge itself in the "V" but it well come out.

I have the same floor plan in the Forester and I want to do the same for the bedroom. If you open the right side wardrobe door and then peek to the left there is a sort of shelf behind the TV but no 120 volt power. I thought to just fish a hdmi cable from the TV through the wire hole and to the back side inside the wardrobe. I can set a DVD player right in the base of the wardrobe and run power from the night table power outlet (via an extension cord).
Or use an inverter and 12 volt splitter behind the TV.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Are you sure about what's behind your TV (I.e., no electrical outlet)? I have a '13 3100. Yes, it's a different model but I think there would be some consistency. You are correct. The bedroom TV lifts off a bracket, albeit with some pressure. But, at least on ours, behind it was a standard electrical outlet, the cigarette lighter outlet, and the coax jack. It was an easier two person job so I had my wife hold the TV in the air above the bracket while I plugged in an extension cord and then left it on the counter under the TV. That way we can actually easily get some benefit from the hidden plug. May want to check behind your TV again just to re-verify if there is an electrical outlet back there.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Are you sure about what's behind your TV (I.e., no electrical outlet)? I have a '13 3100. Yes, it's a different model but I think there would be some consistency. You are correct. The bedroom TV lifts off a bracket, albeit with some pressure. But, at least on ours, behind it was a standard electrical outlet, the cigarette lighter outlet, and the coax jack. It was an easier two person job so I had my wife hold the TV in the air above the bracket while I plugged in an extension cord and then left it on the counter under the TV. That way we can actually easily get some benefit from the hidden plug. May want to check behind your TV again just to re-verify if there is an electrical outlet back there.
I'm positive. "Most" slides don't have 120 volt run into them. I thought it strange too with so many 120 volt outlets in ours.
Samsung makes a portable Blu-ray that works from USB power (which is easy enough to get off a 12 volt acc. outlet). I'm not going that route but it won't be long before you can get a decent in-dash Blu-ray player, that way you can have the option of a music player in the bedroom too.

Bobby
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip on lifting up the tv off the "V" bracket! That was a game changer for me

I had a extra "Apple TV" laying around and just hooked up the bedroom with that. We have many different accounts Netflix, Hulu, Comcast, Apple and stuff that are supported on the apple tv, so our viewing content is almost unlimited 50% of the camp sites we have gone to have wifi and then when there is not I have a LTE hot spot device that has a large data plan that we can jump on

Problem solved
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

So we have the 31870DS......I asked the same question about 4 months ago.
  • we only have one 12 volt outlet behind the TV
  • I am concerned about a splitter over-heating behind the cabinet
  • I also will choose to run an extension cord to the outlet beside the bed to power the Blue-ray which I will hook up as suggested above
  • An in-dash Blue-ray will not be the same because the signal will still have to travel through co-axial cable to the rear and the picture quality will be degradaded 9to a greater or lesser extent)....Either way it will not be HDMI quality
  • I would dearly love a second 12 volt outlet OR 120 volt plug behind the TV....easy add-on for FR to take away a common problem.
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter81 View Post
  • we only have one 12 volt outlet behind the TV
  • I also will choose to run an extension cord to the outlet beside the bed to power the Blue-ray which I will hook up as suggested above
  • An in-dash Blue-ray will not be the same because the signal will still have to travel through co-axial cable to the rear and the picture quality will be degradaded 9to a greater or lesser extent)....Either way it will not be HDMI quality
  • I would dearly love a second 12 volt outlet OR 120 volt plug behind the TV....easy add-on for FR to take away a common problem.
Might be because of what bgilly said above - most slides not having electrical plugs in them.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
I don't have a concern splitting the 12 volt, in total the current draw is under 5 amps. A poor connector in the 12 plug is the cause of overheat, not the current. Cheap 120 volt outlet splitters have meltdowns too.

The in-dash Blu-Ray was a suggested solution to play Blu-Ray via 12 volt. If HD is desired then a set-top player will be lacking on the surround sound. A great picture with audio pumping from 2 mini speakers on the TV, always a short-coming.

Bobby
Old 10-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #9

Thanks....great points all around. I learned something about a 12v splitter. Hadn't really thought about the no 120v plug in a slide-out but it makes sense......and I never even thought of the audio with no surround sound.......Well that gives me something to work on LOL
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #10

All I did was hook up a 12v inverter that provided AC power for the Apple TV and added another 12v jack. Worked perfect
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #11

Excuse my extreme ignorance but how did you add another 12 volt socket?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Could it be as simple as buying a cigarette lighter splitter at Walmart? You know, what turns the one in a car into two.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #13

I used a 12volt plug in inverter and on the actual inverter unit it has 2 AC power outlets and a 12volt outlet.

So I plugged in that unit into the single 12volt outlet then plugged the TV and the apple TV unit to the inverter.

Now I have pretty much satellite tv on 12volt power
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
There are splitters:

and converters with multiple connections such as an additional 12 volt socket, 2) 120 volt outlet and 1) usb power port:

Just make sure you size it correctly for the total watts needed plus at least 30%.

Bobby
Old 10-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #15

My 12volt inverter splitter for behind the bedroom tv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1089087257.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	40932  
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #16

The photos helped guys...Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #17

I have a 351DS with the same problem. I cut out a hole from the right side cabinet and built a shelf for the player. Hopefully the pictures come through ok. I have a little finish work left but no there is tons of extra storage for stuff we don't use that often. I mounted the shelf below the holes to run the cables through, and the power outlet for the TV is inside there as well. I intend to run a trim piece around the opening to make it look clean. You can't see it very well but there is about 2 feet of flat storage behind the player. The wife bought a bunch of bins to keep all her extra stuff in. iE, sunscreen, sewing supplies, kids art crayons, paper, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	40938  
Andysabruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysabruin View Post
I have a 351DS with the same problem. I cut out a hole from the right side cabinet and built a shelf for the player. Hopefully the pictures come through ok. I have a little finish work left but no there is tons of extra storage for stuff we don't use that often. I mounted the shelf below the holes to run the cables through, and the power outlet for the TV is inside there as well. I intend to run a trim piece around the opening to make it look clean. You can't see it very well but there is about 2 feet of flat storage behind the player. The wife bought a bunch of bins to keep all her extra stuff in. iE, sunscreen, sewing supplies, kids art crayons, paper, etc.
I decided against a player in the bedroom and went with the Apple TV. Essentially giving us sat tv
2003 Hummer H2
2003 IS300
Old 10-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrock View Post
My 12volt inverter splitter for behind the bedroom tv
Looks like the Griswold's family christmas lights in there.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbrock View Post
I decided against a player in the bedroom and went with the Apple TV. Essentially giving us sat tv
Out if curiosity, how does the Apple TV help?

Tags
bed, roo