Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Brake question

I have a 2011 Sunseeker 2300. It won't see much action this year. I was told to drive it occasionally so that the brakes would not deteriorate. Is this the case? I'm a widow with no mechanical savvy so any help (simplified) is extremely welcome and appreciated.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

Don't worry about the brakes. All disc brakes get a little rust on the discs when they sit but it gets scrubbed off when you drive. I can hear rust on the disc brakes of my cars the day after I wash them. It's gone after the first brake application.

It's always better for all parts of a vehicle to drive it for 30 minutes or more at least once per month, but many RV'S don't get it and they are still okay.

There are some things you should do if your Sunseeker will be parked for more than a month at a time. If no one else posts suggestions, I'll do it later. I'm using my phone and it's too awkward to do that much on it.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Questions about your RV storage :

Outside or covered?
Is there electricity available?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

If you can
Try to start the Generator and put a load on it (Air conditioner) If you are not going to take any trips,I would fill the Gas tank with the 100%gas (no ethanol) and put StaBil or SeaFoam in the tank.This will keep you fuel system happy and most importantly the generator carb will stay clean and happy when you start it up every month.
Drive the thing around once a month
It's good for the tires and keeping all the battery's up make sure there's water in it and exercise the pump and turn on the water heater (burn out the bugs and spider webs)
if you run the appliances once a month it is good for them but when they sit all kinds of stuff can happen

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Great info!!' I have saved your post. The RV is stored outside, uncovered but in shade. It is plugged in. I will wait til Oct to have it winterized. I'm in central IN.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

If it's plugged in all the time, watch the water in the batteries. The convertor can overcharge them and in effect boil the water away. Use distilled water.

Be aware that the system will also charge the chassis battery (under the hood), so check it if possible. It may be a "maintenance free" battery and you won't be able to remove the tops to check the water level. If so, don't worry about it.

You probably already know to leave the coach's battery disconnect on so the convertor will charge the batteries.

Adding to the previous post, it's best to drain the generator's carburetor after the periodic running. It only takes a screwdriver and is easy. If you put Stabil or another stabilizer in the gasoline and run it monthly, you can get by without draining it.

I always take the batteries out of the smoke detector and TV remote. There’s no point in using up the smoke detector battery if no one is in it, and the remote can be ruined if the batteries leak.

You can leave the refrigerator running on auto, which will then operate on electric, if you like. Some on this forum say they leave it on all season, some don't.