Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Broken slide on 2890

On our last trip my front slide containing the foldout couch decided to quit working. From what I can see the motor is working fine but the main drive gear is not turning.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to get to the motor underneath the couch? The rear slide motor is fully accessible underneath the bed but unfortunately not the front.

If anybody has any experience, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #2

2890? I don't see one listed, Did you mean a 2860? If so the motor can be accessed frome the outside storage compartment.

I would be interested in how this goes with you as I have a broken one too. I was certain that I checked the motor gears but when I was at a dealer for some unrelated stuff. They told me the motor gears were stripped and quoted me $1300 as the parts could not be bought separate.

I use the redneck method and push it out from the inside then do the same frome the outside. One of these days I will look at it again...

I cut some wooden dowels and capped them with a rubber tip and use them as a slide lock for travel.
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2237255186.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	13704

Sorry, maybe I should've also included that is it a 2004 model. Then again who knows, maybe somebody put the sticker on upside down! I will check in the storage compartment but from looking at it from the inside it doesn't look like it's accessible and I'm hoping it doesn't call for completely removing the slide!

I noticed ours was sliding out going down the highway at 65 miles an hour so I had to put a ratchet strap from the framework of the couch to the framework of the front passenger seat to hold it in.

I will definitely let you know what I come up with. Thanks for the reply
Old 05-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Make sure it is not the shear bolt, broken/missing. Many models have a soft bolt, in one end of the shaft that has the gears under the slide. This bolt is designed to break/shear, in case the slide get in a bind. This protects the motor and the motor gears. If it needs one, make sure you use a soft/cheap bolt, and buy two or three so you'll have a spare.

Oh, and without the gearing holding the slide in,it will come out going down the road, as you have found out. You will need something to hold it closed.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #5

Thanks Windrider! So far that's what I've been hearing, that there's a better chance that the pin sheared off then the whole gearbox being broken. I just have to figure out how to get to the dang thing! There is about a 2 to 3 inch gap between the floor the slide out and the motor so it's almost impossible to get in there and look at it.

I do see that I can get to the bolts from inside the storage compartment directly below it, but I don't know if that would allow the whole motor assembly to slide out from underneath the couch or not.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

Well after a couple dealers and several people telling me that it was not a fun job, even had a dealer tell me the slide out had to come completely out, I decided not to listen and try to tackle the job myself.

It took me about an hour and some very "out-of-the-box" thinking but I got the drive gear out and it was a sheared off half Moon key.

I will get the parts tomorrow and hopefully this weekend put it back together. We will see how putting it all back together goes!

Name:	image-4190017962.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	13852

Name:	image-1692186172.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	13853

Name:	image-3325166248.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	13854

Name:	image-2293056430.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	13855

Name:	image-1612091461.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	13856

You can see the sheared off key in the last photo.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Commercial Member

One trick we use, is to tilt the slide "into" the motorhome so you get access to the bottom area. basically just just unscrew the slide room from the track, tilt it in and you should have easier access to everything.

So, someone with no experience with this type of slide gets it out in an hour. Dealers try and say this is an 8 hour job.

PS. make sure you use locktite on the set screws that keep the cog in place on the shaft. That is often an area of concern when that cog shifts and isn't lined up properly.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #8

Thanks for the tips! I will be sure to use the lock tite! I got the parts yesterday and even bought some spares and they cost me a whopping $1.84! If I can get this thing up and running for that price I don't think I will be too upset.