Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Cable TV

Newbie here (to Class C—18 years with two DPs). New to me 2014 3170ds- 4 TVs. Hooked up to RV Park cable. Select AV for Source on all 4 No Signal. Specific question: Does cable from connector on side of rig go to a 1in 4 out splitter and if so, where is it? I have tested Park connection,have tried two new 25ft cables, Checked cable connection at all TVs, read FR owner’ book And Jensen manual, all TVs have power. What am I missing? I am looking forward to my SS ownership and making Forum friends
Dspoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

Same happened to me first time using CG cable.

First, make sure the amplification button is off. Button should be on a face plate. Amp button should be on for OTA channels only.

For my TT, I need to connect the cable to the satellite connection and not the cable connection. Somehow they got reversed.

Go through the menu options on the television to set up. Final step in set up is a scan for channels. The scan could take a while, so give it time.

Hope this helps and it's nothing more serious.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #3

Run a separate cable from the pedestal to one of the TVs to completely bypass the RV cable system and work out the tv settings. Then connect through the RV cable system to troubleshoot. Sorry, can't tell you much about it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

Make sure when you scan you choose cable not air. Check other inputs like AV2 etc.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Make sure when you scan you choose cable not air. Check other inputs like AV2 etc.
Actually, I've found that sometimes I get a better signal from campground cable if I scan on 'antenna' instead of 'cable'.

Remember, park cable is a standard def signal sent through coax.

Unless it requires a scramble box!

I discovered this once when I kept scanning 'cable' and got nothing...and accidentlly rescanned on 'antenna' and got maybe 20 channels!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post

For my TT, I need to connect the cable to the satellite connection and not the cable connection. Somehow they got reversed.
This is not uncommon...

Both new RV's I've purchased in the last five years the complete coax run through both trailers were wired up exactly completely backwards.

And after watching a video (don't have that link anymore) of RV's being built in Elkhart, Indiana...I think I now know why!

And this is all brands!

Before the walls of the RV's are installed on the frame, many of the frames are on an assembly line UP SIDE DOWN and any wiring, plumbing and anything else down there is put there first, then the frame is flipped RIGHT SIDE UP for the rest of the build process.

Unfortunately, it seems that the people doing the installations don't all realize this and when they follow the schematics on an upside down frame...

Guess what...backwards wiring job!

Problem is that there is so much turnover with employees in the RV industry that many either don't seem to care about the quality of the work they are being paid to do...

Or they just don't know any better and the manufacturers don't make the effort to be sure the job is being done right.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

My question was intended to find out what happens after the single cable connection to the side of the rig to get the signal to four TVs. Does it go to one and then is daisy chained to the others or does it go to a 1 in 4 out splitter so there are separate cables from the splitter to each device. I don’t have smarts or tools to check continuity through the rig but want to be able to explain to A/V tech how the cabling and connections are setup. I’m satisfied after a day of t/shooting that problem is with the rig
Dspoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #8

I just had the whole thing typed out...and it just went away...so here is the short version:

There is a series of splitters throughout your trailer, most likely.

On mine, the cable connection from the outside went all the way across the trailer to the other side of the basement to a splitter (one in/three out)...

One went up to the bedroom (where the antenna connection is), one went to the outside TV connnection, and the third went to the back of the trailer where the entertainment center is to yet another splitter behind the AM/FM/CD/DVD player.

I know there is another splitter in there somewhere that I never found (probably below the floor and inside the coroplast).

OK...here is the kick in the rear...

The very first splitter in the basement the coax in from the outside wall was hooked up to one of the OUTPUT connections, and the outside TV connection was hooked up to the INPUT of the splitter.

So that was the main problem as splitters are ONE WAY...which means the incoming signal STOPPED at the first splitter.

Start there...

Ironically, I was somehow getting both OTA and cable in the bedroom, which is why I think there is another splitter that I never found.

Tags
cable