Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Cabover bed access?

Purchased a 2005 Sunseeker 2600. How are you suppose to safely access the bed in the cabover. It has an oak ladder that just reaches but it just reaches and there are now places to hook it onto so it doesn't slide out. There is wear on the barrel seat so I'm guessing the previous owner stepped on the barrel seat to get in and out. There just doesn't seem to be any designed space or connection for a ladder! The slide is in the way on one side, the barrel chair in the way on the other side and the center which folds out of the way doesn't seem to have an clips or connectors to connect a ladder! Can anyone provide some information that may help?

Thanks
J2Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

I don't own a Sunseeker, but here`s a few thoughts.......

You mention the slide is in the way for attaching the ladder. I`m assuming on your floorplan (they`re always changing) the slide is on the driver`s side of the rig. Is the slide in the way when it is retracted, or all the time.

Our rig had a barrel chair and we removed it. Sometimes a barrel chair may have been an option. If the barrel chair was not there (and I`m assuming it`s on the curb side of the rig) would the attachment for the ladder be useable then.

You mentioned it looked like the previous owner had climbed up using the barrel chair, and you might be right.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

When we had our 04 Coachman it did not have a ladder. We either helped the kids in and out or they had to use the dinette bench. At least our 06 Sunseeker has the ladder in the middle for them to use.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

The slide out is always in the way. I cann't connect a ladder to the center section because it's all covered cusion and it's the part that folds forward when not in use so that you can access the drivers seat easier. And as mentioned before, the barrel chair is in the way on the other side. Is there a ladder that has something that can rest on the top of the center section that folds down? Anybody rigged something up that works? My biggest concern is not getting in, it's trying to get down especially if its the middle of the night.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #5

When we had our previous Class C, there was no ladder. My kids used the dinette to step up for a while but I had the same concern about the middle of the night. I bought an aftermarket ladder from camping world that came with clips to attach to the bunk to help secure it. Basically just tabs on the top of the ladder that slid into the clip on the bunk. Since it sounds like you already have the ladder, you may be able to just go to Home Depot or somewhere and get some hardware
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
When we had our 04 Coachman it did not have a ladder. We either helped the kids in and out or they had to use the dinette bench. At least our 06 Sunseeker has the ladder in the middle for them to use.
That 2006 Sunseeker would not have had a ladder either. If its an oak ladder, its an aftermarket that someone bought for that unit.

On current models, we build in some backer on the center flip down and put a metal ladder in all our units that hooks on two metal tabs. You should be able to get that ladder from a dealer. The only thing you would need to do then is modify the flip down cushion. There is plywood on the bottom of that. Maybe you can put an metal angle on there.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #7

The aluminum ladder with the metal tabs is what is in ours. Mounts right to the center piece. Odd, I wonder how we ended up with that set up.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Commercial Member

We've been doing it for a few years now. I'm thinking 2008 or 2009.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We've been doing it for a few years now. I'm thinking 2008 or 2009.
We bought ours in 08 so I wonder if the older couple that owned it originally had the ladder installed at some point. It works great, my son is around 100 pounds and we have never had a problem with it.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Anybody have a good picture of the set up and is there a manufacturing decal or some identifying decal?