Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #11

I'm glad Forest River does offer the V-10 and not that Flex fuel mess. If we were stuck with an E85 only option I would buy another brand or a diesel.

I have a flex fuel company truck in the driveway and it can't get out of it's own way, I can't even imagine what a gutless engine like that would be like in a big, heavy motorhome.

BTW: the dealer we bought our Sunseeker from said they would not be selling anymore coaches on the Chevy chassis but I don't recall why they said it other than they have more of them back for repairs than the Ford chassis. He didn't specify why though.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post

BTW: the dealer we bought our Sunseeker from said they would not be selling anymore coaches on the Chevy chassis but I don't recall why they said it other than they have more of them back for repairs than the Ford chassis. He didn't specify why though.

?? Chassis repairs would likely go to the Ford or Chevy dealer.

Our 2012 Chevy has had no problems. Just got a recall from Chevy for an O2 sensor replacement, but absolutely no problems in 2 years and 13,000 miles.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #13

The fact has already been quoted. E85 will give you less performance, less mpg requiring more frequent fill ups. No one except farmers and repair shops gain anything by having any ethenol additives. It doesn't reduce our dependence on oil at all...in my opinion.

As far as the performance of E85 fuel is concerned, I'm aware that you'll get less mpg with it, but it's my understanding that it produces slightly more horsepower...if the engine is properly tuned for it.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I'm glad Forest River does offer the V-10 and not that Flex fuel mess.
What "mess" are you talking about?

Quote:
If we were stuck with an E85 only option I would buy another brand or a diesel.
What do you mean by "E85 only option"?

Quote:
I have a flex fuel company truck in the driveway and it can't get out of it's own way, I can't even imagine what a gutless engine like that would be like in a big, heavy motorhome.
Are you saying it runs bad even when it's running on "regular" gasoline? Or does it only run bad on E85?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #15

If an engine is properly tuned for it, the engine will actually produce more horsepower with E85 than with straight gas.

See the specs here for example, for Chevy engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
The fact has already been quoted. E85 will give you less performance, less mpg requiring more frequent fill ups. No one except farmers and repair shops gain anything by having any ethenol additives. It doesn't reduce our dependence on oil at all...in my opinion.

As far as the performance of E85 fuel is concerned, I'm aware that you'll get less mpg with it, but it's my understanding that it produces slightly more horsepower...if the engine is properly tuned for it.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Forest River Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #16

Wow, I stand corrected.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #17

Unfortunately in that model (like most of the other models it seems), the bathroom has no sink (as I see it). In other words, if someone uses the bathroom and has to wash their hands, they have to open the door and walk a few feet to get to the sink. Maybe to some people that's not an issue, but to me it's unacceptable.

Edit: Is there someone at Forest River that I could call and ask about ordering a #2650S with the V8 engine? (I don't see any phone numbers on the web site for questions about the Sunseeker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Why not 2500? Comes on a Chevy. All the important bath parts are in one room.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #18

I realize GM says you get more HP out of flex fuel it must be true if they do. For whatever reason it sure doesn't feel like it when you actually drive it on the E85 or at least my work truck doesn't. Maybe its tuned for regular unleaded?

The mess I mentioned above is because you'll probably need 2 types of gasoline in you coach unless your certain the generator will run off of E85. The gas with only 10% ethanol seems to give these small engines fits, what will the E85 do?

I assume the E85 burns cleaner, since it produces less mpg there has to be some point in using it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-13-2014, 04:44 AM   #19

E85 has a higher octane rating than unleaded regular so computer control systems can advance the ignition timing to get more power. To get the most benefit of the higher octane E85 you'd have to increase the compression ratio when switching from one E85 to unleaded, and adjust it in between for a blend. This is not mechanically practical. If you built an engine optimized for E85 and simply retarded the timing to accommodate unleaded regular, it would be retarded so much it would be a real dog and probably could not be made to pass emissions tests.

By the way, if you check the EPA Mileage publication, they show about a 25% loss using E85 compared to unleaded regular. Around here, it costs about 5% less. The economics are obvious.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson_2014 View Post
Unfortunately in that model (like most of the other models it seems), the bathroom has no sink (as I see it). In other words, if someone uses the bathroom and has to wash their hands, they have to open the door and walk a few feet to get to the sink. Maybe to some people that's not an issue, but to me it's unacceptable.

Edit: Is there someone at Forest River that I could call and ask about ordering a #2650S with the V8 engine? (I don't see any phone numbers on the web site for questions about the Sunseeker).
We don't offer the V8 on the 2650. We may look to offer more floor plans on the Chevy going forward. For now we don't because of where their fuel tank is and where out heater/enclosed tanks are.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker