Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I realize GM says you get more HP out of flex fuel it must be true if they do. For whatever reason it sure doesn't feel like it when you actually drive it on the E85 or at least my work truck doesn't. Maybe its tuned for regular unleaded?

The mess I mentioned above is because you'll probably need 2 types of gasoline in you coach unless your certain the generator will run off of E85. The gas with only 10% ethanol seems to give these small engines fits, what will the E85 do?

I assume the E85 burns cleaner, since it produces less mpg there has to be some point in using it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forest River Forums mobile app
GM also says you get way more horsepower out of their V8 than you do the V10. Chevy used to spec 300HP, Ford was 305. A couple of years ago Chevy went to 327...I asked if it was a new engine and they said no. All they did was run the engine RPM's up higher.

You can also look at the sticker on the door to see fuel economy and realize you'll never get that. You just can't believe everything you read.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #22

So you're saying GM might not always be telling us the truth? Doesn't sound the GM we all all know and love. He he

May just be me but for many reasons I think when you even consider buying an RV you just throw mpg considerations out the window. If you can somehow manage to squeeze 10 mpg out of one then you should thank the lucky tail winds.

howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Agree. And if you look at MOST service manuals, you can go XXX number of miles between oil changes but there is an asterisk and if you use E85 that mileage is reduced. I've talked to a few mechanics that say E85 will break down an engine faster than regular gas if used frequently. More contaminants (not emissions).

Not sure why you would specifically request E85 unless you grow corn or work for an ethanol plant.

If it's en environmental issue...think about all the processing that goes into producing Ethanol. I live in Indiana...we know. All the corn, the fertilizer, the plants, governments subsidies.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #24

Corn is for feeding people via beef, pigs and cows.
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #25

Isn't ethanol just a way to keep American money in America? Despite what we think about it as a fuel that is a pretty good argument in favor of using it. I don't think it solves the real problem though.

howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #26

We have a 2013 Chevy 4500 on a 2860 MH. We have been averaging 9.7 MPG. We have no problems on hills. We pasted a Tundra pulling a 5th wheel with no problems. And you could hear the Tundra screaming for help.

The Chevy with a smaller MH would be just great for MPH and power.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #27

We have a 2013 2450S that gets 12-13 without pulling a car and 10 plus pulling it. I cannot see where the Ford V10 would do anything for me but worse mileage. That is the 6.0 MAX.. No issues with hills at all.
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #28

There is not replacement for displacement.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
There is not replacement for displacement.

Chevy 6.0 V8 has 364 cubic inches
Ford 6.8 V 10 has 362 cubic inches

Displacement is measured in cubic inches. Chevy has more.

Yes the Ford has more torque but not displacement!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #30

Since we are somewhat off topic now. When they switched over to 10% ethanol my X with the V-10 barely had enough power when towing my trailer to hold 55 into a small headwind, the mileage also dropped to 5 from 7.5. I started running 93 octane and my power and mileage were almost back to normal. Nothing wrong with my X and it now runs even better with a tuner on 89 octane.

We have a newer 5.4 dump truck at work and empty it will barely get out of it's own way! Can't imagine it with E85 in the tank.

Do yourself a favor and get the V-10. In the end it will get the same mileage as the V-8 using the same fuel!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Since we are somewhat off topic now. When they switched over to 10% ethanol my X with the V-10 barely had enough power when towing my trailer to hold 55 into a small headwind, the mileage also dropped to 5 from 7.5. I started running 93 octane and my power and mileage were almost back to normal. Nothing wrong with my X and it now runs even better with a tuner on 89 octane.

We have a newer 5.4 dump truck at work and empty it will barely get out of it's own way! Can't imagine it with E85 in the tank.

Do yourself a favor and get the V-10. In the end it will get the same mileage as the V-8 using the same fuel!

Not sure what the point is here. E-85 definitely reduces power. My Chevy Avalanche is proof to me. After a few tries with E-85, I went back to regular (10% ethanol because that is all that is available).

BUT, the Chevy 6.0 used in motorhomes (Express 4500 chassis) is NOT a flex fuel engine. It burns regular, not E-85. Based on many posts on this forum over the years, the Chevy gets slightly better mileage. Is it a deal maker for the Chevy? No. But neither is two more cylinders a deal maker for the Ford. Both have plusses and minuses.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #32
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markangie24 View Post
Chevy 6.0 V8 has 364 cubic inches
Ford 6.8 V 10 has 362 cubic inches

Displacement is measured in cubic inches. Chevy has more.

Yes the Ford has more torque but not displacement!!

??? How do you come up with that? I see a problem with your math.

1 liter = 61.0237 cubic inches.
Chevy 6.0 = 366 (their lit actually says 364 CID)
Ford 6.8 = 415 (their lit actually says 415)

Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #33

Don't forget the most important item that untethers you while on the move while still delivering all the convenences of our modern society.

Your generator is not E85 complaint! See page 26 if you wish: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/.../rv/F-1123.pdf

Don't know about the rest of you... but there is no way I'd give up my generator for some government subsidized gimmick that shortens the useful life of almost everything it touches. That's a Fact Jack!

Corn's 4 Eat'n and Alcohol's for Drink'n!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #34
Commercial Member

oooh. I think we just found ourselves a winner in this here debate.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #35

Amen.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forumsr
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 PM   #36

Google both engines and none have your figures Brian. I never go by the "brochure" as they are most always inaccurate. The Chevy is strong especially with the Allison tranny. I have driven both.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Chevy on a van chassis does not get an Allison.

My specs are from Ford & Chevy engineers. You may be looking at the V8 Ford.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #38

All my paperwork shows the Max 6.0 with an Allison tranny. I have the 4500 chassis. I will verify tomorrow and let you know.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #39

Also, you need to go out to the Chevy and Ford websites and information will be verified by the company. I am not making up numbers!! I do own a 2013 Sunseeker on a Chevy chassis with full body paint in Auburn.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #40

Bclemens is correct on displacement and the tranny
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker