Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Can I order a Sunseeker 2650S with a V8 engine?

Hello,

I like the floorplan of the Sunseeker 2650S, and I am considering buying one, but I'm disappointed (and mystified by the fact) that the Ford V10 engine is apparently not flex fuel compatible.

According to what I've read at several Ford web sites, the 5.4L V8 engine - which apparently is flex fuel compatible - is actually the standard engine for both the E-350 and E-450 chassis, with the V10 engine being an option.

This leads me to the question: Is it possible to order a SUnseeker 2650S with the 5.4L V8 engine, or would I be stuck with the V10? Thanks.

Regards,
Nelson
Nelson_2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

What advantages do you hope to get with a v8 over a v10 ? I think the v10 is a solid engine and would hate to be stuck with an under powered v8
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #3

Under powered V8, really. Not in my Chevy 2450S!!
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #4

Why do you want flex fuel? Why use E-85?

The V-10 is okay with 10 percent ethanol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
What advantages do you hope to get with a v8 over a v10 ? I think the v10 is a solid engine and would hate to be stuck with an under powered v8
Less power than the 6.8L V10, yes, but being that the 5.4L V8 is the "standard" engine for the E-450 chassis (and being that the Sunseeker 2650S is not the biggest model with the same engine) it's probably not something you could fairly call "under powered" for the job (unless it's a Ford marketing gimmick).

If everything else was the same, I'd rather have the 6.8L V10 engine, but since the bigger engine is (inexplicably) not flex fuel compatible, I'd be willing to trade a little power for the ability to burn E85.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Why do you want flex fuel? Why use E-85?

The V-10 is okay with 10 percent ethanol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
As of right now, I merely want the ability to use E85. Who knows, someday after the dollar is no longer the de facto reserve currency, gasoline may get significantly more expensive; or something else may happen that will result in E85 (or higher) being the norm.

Does anyone here have any idea why Ford will not make its V10 compatible with E85?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #7

Are you aware that E-85 creates less power? That is probably why it is not offered in motorhomes. I have a Chevy Avalanche that is E-85 capable (5.3L V-8). I tried E-85 for awhile. It reduced mpg by 2-3. So while I saved some money, I had reduced power and had to refill the tank more often. Even at its reduced cost per gallon, I don't think it was worth it. I quit using it.

If you want a solid V-8, get the Chevy chassis. 10-11 mpg at 60 mph.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

X2 on the Chevy
Days Camped 2014. 89
DangerCliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Are you aware that E-85 creates less power? That is probably why it is not offered in motorhomes. I have a Chevy Avalanche that is E-85 capable (5.3L V-8). I tried E-85 for awhile. It reduced mpg by 2-3. So while I saved some money, I had reduced power and had to refill the tank more often. Even at its reduced cost per gallon, I don't think it was worth it. I quit using it.

If you want a solid V-8, get the Chevy chassis. 10-11 mpg at 60 mph.
I basically have three primary features that I'm looking for: (1) shortest overall length available with a walk-around bed (I'd like it under 30 feet); (2) bathroom facilities all in one room; and (3) flex fuel compatibility.

If Forest River offered the #2650S floor plan on a Chevy chassis, I wouldn't hesitate.

The only class c rv I can find that meets the criteria is a Thor 26A ("Four Winds" or "Chateau"). (I happen to like the Sunseeker better, but I may end up with a Thor).

As far as the performance of E85 fuel is concerned, I'm aware that you'll get less mpg with it, but it's my understanding that it produces slightly more horsepower...if the engine is properly tuned for it.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Why not 2500? Comes on a Chevy. All the important bath parts are in one room.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #11

I'm glad Forest River does offer the V-10 and not that Flex fuel mess. If we were stuck with an E85 only option I would buy another brand or a diesel.

I have a flex fuel company truck in the driveway and it can't get out of it's own way, I can't even imagine what a gutless engine like that would be like in a big, heavy motorhome.

BTW: the dealer we bought our Sunseeker from said they would not be selling anymore coaches on the Chevy chassis but I don't recall why they said it other than they have more of them back for repairs than the Ford chassis. He didn't specify why though.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post

BTW: the dealer we bought our Sunseeker from said they would not be selling anymore coaches on the Chevy chassis but I don't recall why they said it other than they have more of them back for repairs than the Ford chassis. He didn't specify why though.

?? Chassis repairs would likely go to the Ford or Chevy dealer.

Our 2012 Chevy has had no problems. Just got a recall from Chevy for an O2 sensor replacement, but absolutely no problems in 2 years and 13,000 miles.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:01 PM   #13

The fact has already been quoted. E85 will give you less performance, less mpg requiring more frequent fill ups. No one except farmers and repair shops gain anything by having any ethenol additives. It doesn't reduce our dependence on oil at all...in my opinion.

As far as the performance of E85 fuel is concerned, I'm aware that you'll get less mpg with it, but it's my understanding that it produces slightly more horsepower...if the engine is properly tuned for it.[/QUOTE]

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I'm glad Forest River does offer the V-10 and not that Flex fuel mess.
What "mess" are you talking about?

Quote:
If we were stuck with an E85 only option I would buy another brand or a diesel.
What do you mean by "E85 only option"?

Quote:
I have a flex fuel company truck in the driveway and it can't get out of it's own way, I can't even imagine what a gutless engine like that would be like in a big, heavy motorhome.
Are you saying it runs bad even when it's running on "regular" gasoline? Or does it only run bad on E85?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #15

If an engine is properly tuned for it, the engine will actually produce more horsepower with E85 than with straight gas.

See the specs here for example, for Chevy engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
The fact has already been quoted. E85 will give you less performance, less mpg requiring more frequent fill ups. No one except farmers and repair shops gain anything by having any ethenol additives. It doesn't reduce our dependence on oil at all...in my opinion.

As far as the performance of E85 fuel is concerned, I'm aware that you'll get less mpg with it, but it's my understanding that it produces slightly more horsepower...if the engine is properly tuned for it.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Forest River Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]
Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #16

Wow, I stand corrected.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #17

Unfortunately in that model (like most of the other models it seems), the bathroom has no sink (as I see it). In other words, if someone uses the bathroom and has to wash their hands, they have to open the door and walk a few feet to get to the sink. Maybe to some people that's not an issue, but to me it's unacceptable.

Edit: Is there someone at Forest River that I could call and ask about ordering a #2650S with the V8 engine? (I don't see any phone numbers on the web site for questions about the Sunseeker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Why not 2500? Comes on a Chevy. All the important bath parts are in one room.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #18

I realize GM says you get more HP out of flex fuel it must be true if they do. For whatever reason it sure doesn't feel like it when you actually drive it on the E85 or at least my work truck doesn't. Maybe its tuned for regular unleaded?

The mess I mentioned above is because you'll probably need 2 types of gasoline in you coach unless your certain the generator will run off of E85. The gas with only 10% ethanol seems to give these small engines fits, what will the E85 do?

I assume the E85 burns cleaner, since it produces less mpg there has to be some point in using it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forest River Forums mobile app
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #19

E85 has a higher octane rating than unleaded regular so computer control systems can advance the ignition timing to get more power. To get the most benefit of the higher octane E85 you'd have to increase the compression ratio when switching from one E85 to unleaded, and adjust it in between for a blend. This is not mechanically practical. If you built an engine optimized for E85 and simply retarded the timing to accommodate unleaded regular, it would be retarded so much it would be a real dog and probably could not be made to pass emissions tests.

By the way, if you check the EPA Mileage publication, they show about a 25% loss using E85 compared to unleaded regular. Around here, it costs about 5% less. The economics are obvious.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson_2014 View Post
Unfortunately in that model (like most of the other models it seems), the bathroom has no sink (as I see it). In other words, if someone uses the bathroom and has to wash their hands, they have to open the door and walk a few feet to get to the sink. Maybe to some people that's not an issue, but to me it's unacceptable.

Edit: Is there someone at Forest River that I could call and ask about ordering a #2650S with the V8 engine? (I don't see any phone numbers on the web site for questions about the Sunseeker).
We don't offer the V8 on the 2650. We may look to offer more floor plans on the Chevy going forward. For now we don't because of where their fuel tank is and where out heater/enclosed tanks are.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunseeker