Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

Carpet and a broken awning..

First off has anyone found a supplier for carpet for the cab area of the e series fords? I'm not talking floor mats, I have a one piece floor mat but it slides around like crazy and I've tried everything short of screwing to the rubber floor to keep it in place.. I'm talking about a full on take the seats out and put the factory style carpet in type of carpet. I called my ford dealer and he said if they could get it it would be over $800 dollars! I think not! Lol

Second thing, has anyone experienced a complete electric awning failure while the awning was deployed? It happened to us this past weekend on our trip to Tennessee.. When we got to the campsite I ran the awning out and for 3 days it stayed that way, there was no rain or wind or anything like that and when I went to roll it back up and hit the button nothing happened and I mean nothing!

My buddy and I checked all the fuses, I verified I had power at the switch and at the plug that's inside the right side arm of the awning when the switch was depressed and the motor would not even attemp to make a sound. After reading the manual on how to roll the awning up if this should happen I installed the provided lanyard and had my buddy hold it while I removed the two screws on the rt hand side per the instructions and at that point the manual said the awning would roll itself up under its own spring tension but not a thing happened, it didn't even try to move an inch!

We ended up stacking two picnic tables on top of one another (it was a sight to see) so I could reach it because of the way the campsite sloped off and I had to roll the awning up by hand and then once I had it rolled up,and stowed I put one of the screws back in and ratchet strapped the awning to the ladder so it would deploy while driving 700 miles home. Needless to say I wasn't and I'm still not very impressed with the dometic awning! Currently the coach is at the dealer to get this and the ac fixed (yes it went out too but I got it to come back on) but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and if so what was the problem???
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Site Team

With the awning, it's most likely the motor. As for why it wouldn't roll up when you removed the screws. It could have been that the spring broke or broke loose.

What happened to the A/C, and how did you get it back working?
Old 09-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #3

The dealer just called me and said he plugged the awning back in and it is working fine and that it will not roll up on its own, he said it has to be rolled in by hand but the manual says there is tension on it and it will roll up on its own so I'm calling dometic and finding out for sure but I told him to keep messing with it because it def wasn't working!

Just before we left I got a e4 code on the thermostat and had the dealer send me a new control board which fixed that but while on the road it through a e1 code and stopped working, I was able to reset the thermostat and it came back on so they and replacing the thermostat this time but I don't think that the problem myself and I'm concerned as to why I'm have so many electrical issues!
Old 09-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Which awning do you have?

If you just replaced the control board and not the thermostat itself, it could have been bad all along, but was intermittent.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Which awning do you have?

If you just replaced the control board and not the thermostat itself, it could have been bad all along, but was intermittent.
The awning is a dometic, and I agree and when the e4 popped up I asked them to send me the whole control board kit I guess you could call it which contains the control board, thermostat, ambient air temp sensor, and a I believe the bolts that are use to secure the ac unit to the roof but they wouldn't do it and said they could only send the control board due to the fact that it was a warranty issue, normally I would've just dropped the coach off at the dealer and let them Handle it but they are 1-1/2hrs away and we were leaving the next day for a trip but now we are back and they have it so let's hope it all gets sorted out!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Site Team

If the awning is the 9100 power awning, the user manual says that it's under spring tension and will roll up on it's own once you remove the screws. The dealer needs to make sure the spring has the correct tension while they're repairing it.

Hopefully replacing the thermostat will fix the A/C problem for good.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If the awning is the 9100 power awning, the user manual says that it's under spring tension and will roll up on it's own once you remove the screws. The dealer needs to make sure the spring has the correct tension while they're repairing it.

Hopefully replacing the thermostat will fix the A/C problem for good.
Yep it is and that's what I told the service manager and he's says no you have to roll it up. I've got a call in to dometic!
Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

Not sure if they still make it,,, but they used to sell auto carpet in a 6' roll ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Rug

You can try an auto upholstery shop for the carpet / floor liner. My 2006 came with - get this - low pile shag-like carpet in the cab. Same as on the sections in the bedroom. PITA to keep clean. Got rubber mats to help. Who puts that type of carpet in a cab?

Good luck.

Chris in Virginia
vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Not sure if they still make it,,, but they used to sell auto carpet in a 6' roll ???
I think this is the route I'm gonna go and put some extra heat shielding under the carpet as well! Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
You can try an auto upholstery shop for the carpet / floor liner. My 2006 came with - get this - low pile shag-like carpet in the cab. Same as on the sections in the bedroom. PITA to keep clean. Got rubber mats to help. Who puts that type of carpet in a cab?

Good luck.

Chris in Virginia
Well I can tell you Thor does, we where up at our dealer today and they had taken a 2014 Thor class c in on trade and I was checking all the class c's for cab carpeting and it had just what described, residential style carpet! I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to keep clean!

Tags
awning