Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

Caulk cracking

I see that my caulk is cracking and I want to strip and recaulk it.
What kind of caulk should I use?
Thanks
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

Inside or outside and on what?

Bruce
Old 10-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Outside and along the sides and corners. Thanks for your time
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Use Dicor lap sealant. Non-leveling on the sides, leveling on the top. Here is a video of where I did it a few weeks ago.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitejunky1 View Post
Outside and along the sides and corners. Thanks for your time
I use some from Ace Hardware to seal my lights and around my cap I think it is called 3006, It holds up well without shrinkage. You can really use any that you like, except for the roof penetration. Then you need Dicor I think it's called. I asked at the rally what caulk they where putting on, and they said just regular caulking. But I find that the 3006 is easy and cleans up nice when you go over it with a wet sponge. It's a Siliconized Acrylic Latex caulk. Never had a leak at any seems or lights. Hope that helps you easy to find and won't dry out in the tube if you put some tape over the end... It will come in white and tan. Also will not mildew on you. I just went an got a tube it's called White Lightning All Purpose adhesive caulk. And it is cheap compared to Dicor per tube.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

I am not an expert, but I don't think you should use silicone caulk. The main reason being that if it cracks again, you can't really go back over it. You would have to remove the old caulk first. Lap sealant is made to go over top of lap sealant so you can go right over what is already there.

But like I said, I am not an expert. This is my first time doing it so hopefully others will chime in.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I am not an expert, but I don't think you should use silicone caulk. The main reason being that if it cracks again, you can't really go back over it. You would have to remove the old caulk first. Lap sealant is made to go over top of lap sealant so you can go right over what is already there.

But like I said, I am not an expert. This is my first time doing it so hopefully others will chime in.
You should always remove all you can of the old caulking first no matter what you put on even dicor. It's just comes down to what will hold up with the best waterproofing. I have dicor, but that is not what the factory uses on seals for lights and windows and such at least that I know of I have and replaced 4 lights with and sealed them with regular sealant 3006.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulk