Old 01-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #1

Charge Wizard

Ok, my unit is not "fresh off the factory line", but I do want the good stuff. The question here is about the Charge Wizard.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...ekerposter.pdf

Do I want one? Where would I put it? What would have to change on my coach to fit one? Do you want one?

Thoughts?

"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

This is the one I use. I didn't know about the charge Wizard or I might have bought it first (x2 the price). Mine takes up very little space when stowed (kept it under the seat of the truck) . Used only during winter storage (I don't have to remove the battery). Don't have to change anything and works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Tender.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	68372  

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

Charge wizard

I could be wrong, but I think according to the sales brochure you show, the charge wizard comes as standard equipment on the Sunseeker. Maybe BClemens can confirm that. Not sure.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
GM

Yes, the charge Wizard is nothing more than the intelligent circuit installed on the Progressive Dynamics convertor.

Hoglou, all you would need to do is replace your WFCO convertor with a Progressive Dynamics one. We do not offer the "pendant" that shows a read out of the status...but I do think you can get one of those after the fact. It just plugs in.

Convertor: PD9200 Series RV Power Converters

Pendant: Converter Status Remote Pendant
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The charge wizard let's you manually select the rate of charge.
And shows what the current charge rate is by a flashing led.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #6

Anybody else want one or am I just overwhelmed by a glossy pdf? I wonder how (signifcantly) better this is over the WFCO.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Anybody else want one or am I just overwhelmed by a glossy pdf? I wonder how (signifcantly) better this is over the WFCO.
Hands over fists better then a wfco.
I recommend progressive dynamics 100 %
Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #8

My factory converter (WFCO) died at around 2 years old. We have a third party extended warrenty on the coach, so the dealer replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics 9200 60 amp model. The Progressive Dynamics brand is far better built, it doesn't look like a cheap computer power supply like the factory WFCO brand. With the factory unit you could hear the house battery bubbling as it put out a steady voltage, needed or not. You couldn't keep it plugged in for more than 2 weeks straight without having to add water to the batteries. Now with the Progressive converter I plug the coach in when return and unplug it when we roll out. I can truly plug it in now and forget about it.

Very nice to see Forest River making these factory standard.

Oh, forgot to mention when boninedocking its suppose to charge the battery upto 90% capacity a lot faster with the "bulk charge" mode. All fully automatic.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:07 PM   #9

Hoglou...It is way better to have a multistage charger (i.e. charge wizard) in your converter rather than a traditional one. Even better is the EQ cycle which can extend battery life if your unit sits plugged in a lot.
If you boondock a lot it is even more important to battery life cycles and retention of capacity. You'll find yourself charging to 100% more quickly and watering far less.
Progressive Dynamics has their charge wizard built into their 9200 series... and available as a plug in module for their 9100 series if someone already owns a 9100 series converter.
You might also want to look at the IOTA DLS series with their IQ4smart module as they are also excellent chargers and the IQ4 module is essentially the same thing as the "wizard". If you do buy a new charger/converter...get one sized 20-25% of the rating of your battery amp hours.... (i.e. a pair of batts @ 200 amp hours would do well with a 50 amp charger). No sense in getting larger than needed as the batteries cannot take that much current...unless you are planning on adding batts.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:18 PM   #10

Did they just start this on the 15's?