Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 311
Charging chassis battery

Looking for some help solving a mystery (?)

On a 2015 3010DS, I had assumed that the chassis battery was completely isolated from the coach batteries/ and 12 volt system...the sole exception being when the boost switch is held.

Lately my chassis (not coach) battery has seemed week so I have been testing it with a volt meter under several conditions, at rest X hours after any load, when charging, etc., etc...

Over the weekend, I tested it 2 hours after shutting off the engine and it read 11.9 volts....weak....again this is the chassis battery

But, then after plugging in the RV overnight, it read 13.6 volts the next morning...which seems(?) to indicate that the RV charger/converter is charging the chassis battery as well as the coach battery.

Any thoughts? I am not sure how that is possible...or maybe my meter is bad or my assumptions were wrong or ??????
__________________

__________________
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 188
Yes, what your testing has revealed is correct. The coach has a BIRD system that will connect the two batteries (house & engine starting) together if it detects 13.x + volts from the house battery ( charging state)
__________________

__________________
2011 Sunseeker 3170DS - 30,000 miles explored
funfinder5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 188
Correction, the BIRD connects both together if 13.x + volts are read from either house or engine battery.
__________________
2011 Sunseeker 3170DS - 30,000 miles explored
funfinder5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfinder5 View Post
Correction, the BIRD connects both together if 13.x + volts are read from either house or engine battery.

Ok, great! I knew that the alternator would charge the house batteries going down the road but had thought it was a one way deal.. Didn't know that it was a two-way connection. But, glad to know it!

Thanks...I learned something new!
__________________
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
Looking for some help solving a mystery (?)

On a 2015 3010DS, I had assumed that the chassis battery was completely isolated from the coach batteries/ and 12 volt system...the sole exception being when the boost switch is held.

Lately my chassis (not coach) battery has seemed week so I have been testing it with a volt meter under several conditions, at rest X hours after any load, when charging, etc., etc...

Over the weekend, I tested it 2 hours after shutting off the engine and it read 11.9 volts....weak....again this is the chassis battery

But, then after plugging in the RV overnight, it read 13.6 volts the next morning...which seems(?) to indicate that the RV charger/converter is charging the chassis battery as well as the coach battery.

Any thoughts? I am not sure how that is possible...or maybe my meter is bad or my assumptions were wrong or ??????
The question is though why is your chassis battery dropping to 11.9 volts? The coach should not draw on the chassis battery while not running the vehicle engine.
__________________
2014 Forester 3051s
2016 Nissan Pathfinder SL
2012 Sonic toad
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by wana65stang View Post
The question is though why is your chassis battery dropping to 11.9 volts? The coach should not draw on the chassis battery while not running the vehicle engine.
Yes, a separate issue from my "mystery" above, the chassis battery is failing. The coach is not drawing on it, its just not holding a charge.

I had to use the boost twice now to get the engine started. I had it load tested and its showing a bad cell. I'll be replacing it shortly. Its less than a year old so Ford is replacing it under warranty.
__________________
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 29
I have the same question as the OP regarding my 2015 Georgetown 351DS. When I'm plugged into 110V at the storage place is my chassis battery being charged?
__________________
2015 Georgetown 351DS
JohnGalt1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
Yep. Modern MH's, RV's have a "battery control center" which monitors the batts (chassis and coach) and supplies current to both as needed from that device. The 110v feeds the converter, which then connects to the BCC. Im not familiar with your rig, but if you look around it is labeled as such.

The question you need to ask is; Who is John Gault! Kidding of course.
__________________
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
RETIRED
 
n-e-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Not camping in New England
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Yep. Modern MH's, RV's have a "battery control center" which monitors the batts (chassis and coach) and supplies current to both as needed from that device. The 110v feeds the converter, which then connects to the BCC. Im not familiar with your rig, but if you look around it is labeled as such.

The question you need to ask is; Who is John Gault! Kidding of course.
(sorry ahead off topic) Answer is Barack Obama
__________________
Mary and Me
2015 2650s "Finally"

2015 Jeep Cherokee
2016 Ford Race Car Red 350HD Cargo Van HR DRW EXT DIY Daytripper "My Little Red Corvette"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Yep. Modern MH's, RV's have a "battery control center" which monitors the batts (chassis and coach) and supplies current to both as needed from that device. The 110v feeds the converter, which then connects to the BCC. Im not familiar with your rig, but if you look around it is labeled as such.

The question you need to ask is; Who is John Gault! Kidding of course.
Thank you very much and yes that is the question I love when people ask.
__________________

__________________
2015 Georgetown 351DS
JohnGalt1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery, charging

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.