Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #1

Chassis battery choice - Starting battery or dual purpose deep cycle

Ok, so the cat is out of the bag and I think I may have damaged my OEM chassis battery due to inactivity over the winter/ AND my aftermarket alarm system drawing it down over time. I am away from home for long periods of time and my new Sunseeker 3050 sits in storage a month at time in between check ups.
If I cannot restore the Motorcraft, what kind of battery should I replace it with? Starting battery or a dual deep cycle?

Or someone answer this question- If I'm able to plug in to power at my storage, will that keep my chassis AND house batteries charged through the BIRD? And if so, do I turn off the isolator switch, or keep it on while I'm plugged in?

Solar battery tenders- Ok, I know about Deltron and Battery Tender, which one to I get to keep the chassis battery functioning? 1 Amp? 5 AMP?

Once I get this battery / storage problem solved I'll be on the way to Happy RVing .

Thank you in advance for some input here

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Ok, correction here,,Deltran and Battery Tender is the same thing,,,and what I need to know is what wattage to get. 5-10-15W?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

Your (Truck) battery should last and keep a charge for well over a month (If within the 3 yr batt life)! Now your (House ) battery should be (Turned OFF or Disconnected) while (Not plugged in ) LOTs of hidden Elect. draw in a RV! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

Since you have decided to replace; Best deal currently on a batt is advanced auto. Use this coupon code (expires soon) and get $50 bucks off a purchase > $125. Just replaced my vehicle battery. By the way, if you drive it in they will swap it out for you at no charge. Get Coupon

Always replace the chassis battery with a similiar one, never switch it to a deep cycle. Your needs are CCA's not deep cycle capacity. Besides, they readily recover better from those short high amp draw starts, much quicker than a deep cycle will.

Oh, one more thing. There are only about three lead acid batt mfg. in the US who make most of the batts to spec for the labels. So, go with the warranty, that will give you your best bang for your buck. IMO
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #5

Can I will assume the engine will charge the house batteries while in flight?
Next, will the house (while on shore power) charge the coach battery?
I leave the shore power on 24/7/365 so I can easily harvest 120v for a battery tender for the chassis if needed. Is this needed?
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

While in flight, with the house disconnect switch in the on position, if so equipped, yes. Ditto to your question under shore power as well.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #7

Hoglou,

Download the Intellitec BIRD manual from this forums library. It's under Power and Electrical.

The chassis battery should be charging while on shore or generator power and the coach batteries should be charging while you are driving.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #8

thanks gentlemen!
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery