Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman53 View Post
We are ordering a 2290s ford (same length as 2300 but w/ dinette slide) w/ swivel pedestals and NO DINETTE) . Swivel pedestals are only on ford.
I added a seat swivel to the passenger side on my Chevy.
It moves the seat inward about 2 inches and upward about 1.5.
A little strange at first but my wife loves the position now.
I debated putting one on the driver seat but I realized the steering wheel was already positioned a little towards the door so moving the seat inward 2 inches would not be good.
The driver seat swiveled would probably hit the dinette or recliner in our case anyways.
We will have permanent seating for 3 and enough room for a folding chair even without a dinette slide when I get the recliners and folding table in.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #22

It s only a Ford option,currently.
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
x2. Lots of reserve power. Performs well in the Ozark mountains (my only mountain experience thus far). Excellent shifting, and tow/haul mode makes it even better on steep grades up or down. The 6 speed tranny is a gem.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
I have a 2013 2250se on a Chevy chassis and I love it. better power than I expected, great handling and ride. I sat in but did not drive one with the Ford chassis and found it a little easier to get into the cockpit from the rear but not as comfortable in the seat and I didn't like the driving position as much.

We have two 2015 Ford escapes that we love so this is not a bias with Chevy vs. ford.

Bobby
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:58 AM   #24

Maybe I am wrong,,, again,,,
But are these Seats not aftermarket seats,,,
Installed by FR ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Maybe I am wrong,,, again,,,
But are these Seats not aftermarket seats,,,
Installed by FR ???
My Chevy seats appear to me to be stock high back Chevy bucket seats.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #26

In reply to Knockando, I run it at 2500 (66-67) on the Interstate, unless my DW gets in a hurry to reach somewhere, then I bump it up to about 2900-300 RPM which gives me a steady cruise of about 70 MPH, but it gets a lot thirstier! Tried to reply from my cell pone yesterday, but it didn't get through.
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #27

I only drive the interstates if I can not find an old road to take !!!
60mph is just fine with us,,, new favorite road is M22 & 109,,,
thru Sleeping Bear Dunes!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Jim View Post
In reply to Knockando, I run it at 2500 (66-67) on the Interstate, unless my DW gets in a hurry to reach somewhere, then I bump it up to about 2900-300 RPM which gives me a steady cruise of about 70 MPH, but it gets a lot thirstier! Tried to reply from my cell pone yesterday, but it didn't get through.
Same speed for me too. Sounds like I might be drafting you someday if we cross paths.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #29

Speaking of running gear. Has anyone ever installed a steering stabilizer.?
I understand that they eliminate a bit of road wondering and help maintain the tracking on the front end.

Brandon2
E-450
2014 Sunseeker 2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:13 PM   #30

Wolverine, it sounds like a path we must try sometime! Knockando, it would be fun to cross paths! Brandon 2, I would like to check into the stabilizer. Not that there is too much wandering, but admittedly there is some. It may be worth installing. You have to have a little wander due to inertia, but there are a couple of places that I think it might pay off. If anybody is heading over Donner pass toward Sacramento, there is about two miles or so of really wicked wear in the asphalt that was laid over the concrete at some time. Reminds me of a wagon trail, where the tires from the big rigs have made furrows in the road that are VERY squirrely to drive through. I tried to ride the ridges, but that was even worse, so I just slowed down and used the edge of the right shoulder to provide some stability. When there is lighter traffic on the weekdays, you can get over in the left lane where there is little wear. Just be careful!
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Jim View Post
Wolverine, it sounds like a path we must try sometime! Knockando, it would be fun to cross paths! Brandon 2, I would like to check into the stabilizer. Not that there is too much wandering, but admittedly there is some. It may be worth installing. You have to have a little wander due to inertia, but there are a couple of places that I think it might pay off. If anybody is heading over Donner pass toward Sacramento, there is about two miles or so of really wicked wear in the asphalt that was laid over the concrete at some time. Reminds me of a wagon trail, where the tires from the big rigs have made furrows in the road that are VERY squirrely to drive through. I tried to ride the ridges, but that was even worse, so I just slowed down and used the edge of the right shoulder to provide some stability. When there is lighter traffic on the weekdays, you can get over in the left lane where there is little wear. Just be careful!
Timmy Jim,,, If you go that way,,, Platte River Campgrounds is GREAT !!!
You can check it out on-line !!! Lots of very private spots !!!
Next time we get up there,,, I want to travel to the tip of the Leelanau peninsula !!! Lots of very nice Start State Parks in Michigan !!!
Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #32

Couple of 2 cents worth.

Don't think you will need a steering stabilizer on a Chevy chassis. Had a brief period of problems with my Chevy 4500 steering about a year after purchase. Took it to my local mechanic. First 4500 chassis he had seen. Looked underneath and said it was built right, couldn't add anything meaningful. Pulled front shocks and found one that was fully collapsed, open-close with no resistance. Replaced and all is good.

2nd. Chevy swivel seat is available as an aftermarket item. Don't think the federal certification was done in time to make it into the factory runs. It works well and I highly recommend it. Be sure to get the "factory" seat swivel, not the after market seat swivel. Different bolt patterns.

3rd. My understanding is that the pause in Chevy chassis is just that, a pause, because same facility is making the new small pickups, a higher margin product, and Chevy has backorders for the pickups.

4th. The Chevy 4500 is 14.2k GVWR, 19.5 GCWR. The Ford 450 is 14.5 GVWR, 22k GCWR. Don't know the Ford 350 GVWR off hand, but think maybe about 12.7k. In any case, the G4500 and E450 are basically the same haul, but not tow capacity.. The 2300 is about 10K empty and you are unlikely to overload any of the 3 chassis. Doubt anyone needs more than 5k towing, but could be a consideration in Ford's favor.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #33

Word is Chevy is discontinuing the 4500 series, Per GM Truck and Bus.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #34

We were camping in Oliver BC and parked next to a Jayco Motor Home, 29 foot. Drive train was a Ford E-450. The owner mentioned that he had installed a steering stabilizer at the time of purchase and it made much better tracking for the front end. This guy has been a mechanic for many years. Definitely something to consider and its not a big ticket item.

Brandon2
2014 Sunseeker 25 foot TS
E-450
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, sunseeker