Old 09-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Chevy Ford Sunseeker 2300

Hi,
I'm a newbie here. I'm ready to purchase a 2016 Sunseeker 2300 and have the option of buying one with the Chevy 4500 chassis or ordering one with the Ford 350 chassis. I've seen some of the postings discussing the pros and cons of each, but am looking for some real-world experiences similar to what I expect to encounter. Although I drove the Chevy and it seemed adequately powered, the drive was limited to flat land and no dinghy. I plan to tow a Chevy Sonic (a little less than 3,000 lbs.) and spend time in the mountains. I was wondering if any of the Chevy chassis owners would share their thoughts if they drive in the mountains and pull a dinghy. Do any owners of the Chevy wish they had gotten a Ford instead? The cheaper cost, extra cockpit room, and reputed 1-2 mpg advantage in gas mileage make me favor the Chevy, but I wonder if the lesser torque or some other negatives should change my mind. Is finding places to work on the Chevy an issue since most motorhomes are Fords? Also, I wonder if the gas mileage advantage would disappear and even favor the Ford if the Chevy has to work harder than the Ford when towing or climbing. The lower cargo carrying capacity of the Ford doesn't bother me since I will be the only occupant.
Thanks,
Roger

Old 09-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

I don't tow. However, to me the Chevy I own is:

- more comfortable
- better visibility
- better fuel economy
- better ride and handling

I have nothing against Ford at all. Just my opinion. Love my Chevy 2300 and it has plenty of power even on some very steep terrain. I have not towed but have no fear of power when it comes time (given a reasonable TOAD).

Old 09-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
I don't tow. However, to me the Chevy I own is:

- more comfortable
- better visibility
- better fuel economy
- better ride and handling

I have nothing against Ford at all. Just my opinion. Love my Chevy 2300 and it has plenty of power even on some very steep terrain. I have not towed but have no fear of power when it comes time (given a reasonable TOAD).

x2. Lots of reserve power. Performs well in the Ozark mountains (my only mountain experience thus far). Excellent shifting, and tow/haul mode makes it even better on steep grades up or down. The 6 speed tranny is a gem.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #4

Assuming the two previous posts haven't driven a Ford chassis, I'd love to hear from someone that has actually driven both, otherwise there is no way to compare.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockando View Post
Assuming the two previous posts haven't driven a Ford chassis, I'd love to hear from someone that has actually driven both, otherwise there is no way to compare.
- For sure: I recommend driving both as well. Everyone is different.

- I have not driven the 2300 in a Ford Chassis. I sat in the Ford chassis and instantly didn't like the seat comfort, seat position or visibility with the dash configuration.

- I've gotten as high as 12.7 mpg and as low as 10.2 mpg. I average an easy at 11.7 mpg almost every trip through varied terrain. The power from the Chevy on a 4500 chassis was plenty for what I do. Even in the mountains.

- The ride and handling issues on the new Ford units has been beat to death on the forum although I don't think everyone has all the issues that were mentioned. Just something to consider.

Like I said, everyone is different and those were just my opinions. As a company I like Ford just as much as Chevy. Just giving my 2 cents.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #6

Thanks to all who replied.
Roger
Old 09-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

I chose the Chevy (2251- similar size) 2015 chassis- 2016 box.
Drives and pulls good.
Only complaint I have is the steering is slow.
I think the Ford (used to own a big F150 4x4) has a lighter steer.
May try about 75-78 lbs n the front tires to lighten that up.
So far- I like it. 9.5-10 mpg so far- no pulling yet.
Pretty basic unit which is what I wanted.
No traction control. stability control, etc.
Just ABS for electronics.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #8

I drive a 2010 E450 on a 32ft Sunseeker and have never driven the Chevy. I shop for a MH first and a chassis second.

Nice
- v10 power, which should tow better than v8 although I haven't towed yet
- Seats are extremely comfortable, IMO.
- Steering seems easy for a 32 ft rig but don't have anything to compare to. I can one hand it going down the interstate but will go 2 hands when getting passed by a large truck and/or high winds.

Bad
- I think people call it the Dog House but the big center console make it difficult to get out of the driver/passenger seats to the back of the coach. By no means impossible but just a little difficult.
- I like to put my foot down in the inside step sometimes but the door storage compartment completely fills this up, annoying.
- Maybe a little lower MPG but that is just from what I read.
- Driver seat position is restricted by the living room slide out, not sure in a Chevy

Other Observations
- I probably average around 10 mpg (8.2 - 11.5 on last trip to Black Hills) and would classify myself as an 'easy' driver. I don't floor it at a stop sign, I back off the speed on hills and try to keep RPM down.
- 65 mph cruise speed running around 2500 RPM
- Uphills around 55 mph it will jump between 3500-4000 RPM, you can really hear the engine speed up too
- Got above 4000 RPM in the Smokey Mtns a few times
- Regardless of RPM I have not noticed heat in the cab area and the temp gauge stays the same
Old 09-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

I've got a 2015 Forester 2301 - twin to the Sunseeker 2300, on a Chevy chassis and I love it. I just got back from a grand tour of Maine and it handled all the hills with no problem at all. You probably won't even notice a Sonic behind you. I'm thinking about getting a Chevy Spark or Fiat 500 for a toad for mine.

I picked the Chevy over the Ford as there feels like more leg room for the driver and passenger in the Chevy. Also I have a relative who's got a Class C with a Ford chassis and they complain about the noise and heat coming out of the doghouse. He's got an upscale brand motorhome so it's not a stripped down basic unit. Read up on Ford front end issues too...some people say it's not an issue and some do.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb - Bridgewater, NH & Delray Beach, FL
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #10

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy chassis and tow a 2007 Malibu LT. NO PROBLEMS. Have made a couple of trips to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and the Blue Ridge Parkway towing the Malibu. About half of the 33k miles to date were towing. You will know the tow is behind you when climbing 7% grades, but I didn't have any Ford "C" chassis passing me with their toad either. I've had several "C's" and had to travel over 900 miles to find this one on a Chevy 4500 chassis. Ford chassis were all around. All the previous pro-Chevy posts are pretty much straight on. If you do get a 2300, either order it with a passenger swivel seat, or as I did, buy an after market swivel. Makes a huge difference being able to lounge inside. You can do a "2300" search and find other posts I've made about functional modifications to handle the corner bed.

Tags
ford, sunseeker