Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

Chevy Recall - Reprogram TCM

Has anybody taken their Chevy in for the following recalls. And if so did you find any difference after the reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module?
RPM vs Speed, or Gas Mileage Change?
Thanks for for your reply.

Bulletin Number: 14745
Bulletin Date: 01-01-2015
Component:
101000 power train:clutch assembly

Summary
General motors 2010-2014 chevrolet express gmc savana: information on torque converter clutch wear vehicles equipped 6.0l flexible fuel engine and 6 speed automatic transmission. *lj see document search button for owners letter*lj

Bulletin Number: CSP-14730 Bulletin Date: 11-01-2014 Component:
103700 power train:automatic transmission:torque converter
Summary
Chevrolet/gmc: driveline vibrations or shudder feeling are due to friction material wear on faster torque converter clutch when pulling trailers and/or vehicles and exceed target energy input. model 2010-14 express, savana. *pe

Old 07-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #2

I had it done on a 2013 SS 2300 with the 2012 Chevy G4500 chassis. Did not notice a problem before or after. Could not tell a real difference except that I have the feeling that transmission lockup may be occurring more noticeably.

Was a PITA to get it done. NOBODY within 350 miles would agree to look at a Chevy chassis RV. Finally called the Chevy folks (# in the Chevy Chassis Manual) and explained this lack of willing service providers. He said he would locate one, and after a day of trying, called back to acknowledge that NO CHEVY DEALER within a day's drive would agree to service an RV. Told me to go to my local dealer and get a "service reimbursement form", whatever that is, and then take it to my local mechanic (We have a retired GM service guy who runs his own backyard part time shop) and have him call to get approval and agree to GM reimbursement rates. That I did, and when I told my dealer that I was having another guy do my warranty work, he said that they would do it at the dealership as long as the RV could fit into one of his reprogramming work areas. So they did it, but not until after about a month of tooth pulling agony.

My overall feeling about the recall is that I would definitely do it. Not sure if coincidence or not but got a letter from GM extending my transmission warranty AFTER the reprogramming was done. I would worry that if left undone there might be a warranty denial later on - that is if you could find someone to do the work.

As for performance, no noticeable difference - still pulls great. MPG was about 10.5 before. Last trip, last week, of 1800 miles averaged 10.8 driving 65 on I-10 & I-75, so don't consider the difference as meaningful of anything. Have 43,000 miles on the odometer. We enjoy traveling.

Hope this helps.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberNail View Post
I had it done on a 2013 SS 2300 with the 2012 Chevy G4500 chassis. Did not notice a problem before or after. Could not tell a real difference except that I have the feeling that transmission lockup may be occurring more noticeably.

Was a PITA to get it done. NOBODY within 350 miles would agree to look at a Chevy chassis RV. Finally called the Chevy folks (# in the Chevy Chassis Manual) and explained this lack of willing service providers. He said he would locate one, and after a day of trying, called back to acknowledge that NO CHEVY DEALER within a day's drive would agree to service an RV. Told me to go to my local dealer and get a "service reimbursement form", whatever that is, and then take it to my local mechanic (We have a retired GM service guy who runs his own backyard part time shop) and have him call to get approval and agree to GM reimbursement rates. That I did, and when I told my dealer that I was having another guy do my warranty work, he said that they would do it at the dealership as long as the RV could fit into one of his reprogramming work areas. So they did it, but not until after about a month of tooth pulling agony.

My overall feeling about the recall is that I would definitely do it. Not sure if coincidence or not but got a letter from GM extending my transmission warranty AFTER the reprogramming was done. I would worry that if left undone there might be a warranty denial later on - that is if you could find someone to do the work.

As for performance, no noticeable difference - still pulls great. MPG was about 10.5 before. Last trip, last week, of 1800 miles averaged 10.8 driving 65 on I-10 & I-75, so don't consider the difference as meaningful of anything. Have 43,000 miles on the odometer. We enjoy traveling.

Hope this helps.
Yes your answer helps me in that my decision to have my 2014 reprogrammed was most likely correct. Just had it done last week but did not experience any problems at the local Chevy dealer 5 miles down the road. They were very happy to do the job.

My first trip (before the reprogram) which was 7,900 miles over 4 months showed absolutely no problems with the transmission or shifting. Gas mileage was a solid average of 13.1 mpg. I do not tow any trailer or vehicle.

With only 5 miles driving home from the Chevy dealer any change was impossible to detect. And then the thought of allowing the reprogram to be done starts to hunt you because it appeared just fine before.

In a couple weeks another trip is planned to the North West and back thru the south this time. Including what may be some larger mountain ranges. The entire trip may include 15,000 miles. Obliviously after making this trip I will be able to answer my own question and desire it to be the same as yours. Your driving is slightly faster than mine which probably explains the difference in mpg.

I also agree that after being told about the recall it would be best to comply if only just for the warranty issue. And also that the driving will be more demanding on the transmission then my first trip.
Thank you for your reply, I was hoping not to hear “I was sick afterwards and should have never had done it."

I am looking forward to another great trip, it is fun to travel the US.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

We had our 2014 Sunseeker 2300 done. I did not see any difference. It is possible that it does not quite hold 6th gear quite as much against the same head wind. But I'm not even sure about that. Overall, nothing that 99.5% of people would detect. MPG seems about the same, before and after.

I'm not getting what you got, though. I like to say I average 10, but that is in neutral conditions. At 70 MPH. If there is any head wind, it's <10.

BTW, the first letter we got from Chevy recommended having it done. After we had it done, another letter came that said don't have it done unless problems are suspected. Whatever.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

FYI.... Just a shout out to Hardy Chevy in Dallas (Ga) they are my chevy go to place for the 2300. I dont work there, but I have yet to find a better shop.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #6

I had mine done about a year ago at a local Chevy dealer, and I didn't have the the rv long enough to tell the difference. I bring my Chevy back their for oil changes. Mines a 2015 with a 2014 cutaway and Chevy pays for 2 years of oil changes with a few bucks more if you use Mobil1
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
I'm not getting what you got, though. I like to say I average 10, but that is in neutral conditions. At 70 MPH. If there is any head wind, it's <10.
Well I think the difference partly could be speed. I rarely go over 60 mph if the traffic will allow. Trying to stay off the fast highways, but if not then I try to blend in better if it is a must. Probably takes me more gas to get from point A to point B then you because I do avoid some roads and like to see the country side and get into taking the long way. I just do not have any scheduled to keep or time limit to meet. Thank you Lord.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #8

I have not had the update. Will do at the next oil change. I do run with traffic up to 70, above that the mirrors go "dumbo" and start to flap a bit..
Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

Snowman9000 and Hoglou,
You both have more skill in driving than I do. You both are probably 100% safe in driving those speeds on the highways; you have the experience to do so. But I feel it is over my head to go 70 mph in the RV and would only get me in trouble. So please beep in a friendly way when you go by me, I’m doing the best I can. After all it is better to pass me then to be held up in traffic because I have the road blocked with an accident. 60mph is good enough for me and I will stay off the roads where the minimum speed is over that. Happy Travels
Old 07-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #10

I posted my mpg (10.6) and speed (65) and noted that was on I-10 and I-75. I don't normally drive that fast, as 55 to 60 is most comfortable to me and I get 11.0 to 11.5 driving that speed in good conditions. I've found that when driving into a headwind I do best driving 55 in 5th and still get 10.5 or better. If I don't do that and let it run in 6th the mpg drops to barely over 10, ie, about .5 mpg less. We always run heavy, about 2500 of CCC, ready for most anything most anywhere, and occasionally tow a 2007 Malibu, about 3200#, 4 down. The Malibu is barely noticeable except on mountain grades, and generally cost us about .5 mpg if I drive the same speeds.

I will say that after changing to Bilstein shocks, getting FE alignment, getting weighed in "as running conditions" and adjusting the front tire pressure (down to 60 psi but 50 psi would match the tables) I'm MUCH more comfortable with the higher speeds and have driven in the Interstate Races at 70 and 75 to keep from getting run over. Mpg goes to 9.5 to 10, so don't do it unless traffic is heavy and fast.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

It would be an interesting exercise to drive a chevy and ford in like style coach... Our 4500 coach with the chevy wishbone frontend (16" tires) seems to be a stiffer (very low sterring wheel input) straight line with the only telltail of increasing speed being the dumbo ears with modest bodyroll. What speed effect occurs with the e350/e450?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #12

I didn't know about the recall until I read your post this morning. I followed up with a call to Chevy Warranty right away and after visiting with a couple of people on the phone was referred to my local GMC Dealer. Said they didn't work on RVs, but if it was just a computer system update they would check it out and do it if they could. Set an appt for 2 hrs later. Went in and in less than 45 minutes the system was updated and I was on my way. I only wish getting service work done on my RV was as quick.
stickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post
My first trip (before the reprogram) which was 7,900 miles over 4 months showed absolutely no problems with the transmission or shifting. Gas mileage was a solid average of 13.1 mpg. I do not tow any trailer or vehicle.
Well I should have proof read my second post more accurately.
I stated 13.1 mpg and while I did have the right numbers they are in the wrong order. The mpg that was averaged on my first trip was a solid 11.3 mpg.
Looks like I need to type slower just like I need to drive slower, sorry for the confusion and misrepresentation.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #14

That's great , I have 10,000 miles on my 2015 2251slc and never got better than 9.6 miles per gallon. Next week I start towing so I expect I'll be getting less
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #15

I find the Chevy handles nicely at 70, as long as the wind and traffic are OK. I enjoy going slower also. It depends on the situation. I am very conscious of safety while driving it.

When we first bought it, I was determined that I would never accept less than 10 MPG in an RV. Now I can see us in a bigger MH some day. Then I'll have to replace 10 with 7 as my goal.

Tags
recall