Old 10-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Success w/ Apple-centric video setup

Folks, here's an update. I just returned from a 5 day excursion, and had a chance to test out an Apple-centric setup.

1. 3 year old iPad w/ latest IOS release
2. 2 year old Apple TV (NOT the recently announced model)
3. Go Power 150w inverter (cigarette lighter plug)
4. HooToo Tripmate Titan travel router
5. Sunseeker ('16 3170DS) equipment used:
- Cigarette lighter style plug under the dinette
- Front TV
- Battery power (no shore power, no generator)

Plugged the inverter into the dinette socket, plugged the ATV into one of the inverter's 110 ports, ran an HDMI cable from ATV to the HDMI2 port of the TV.

Configured the Tripmate as an ad hoc network (i.e. no internet connection just a standalone wireless network). Configured the iPad and ATV to connect to the Tripmate. All this configuration was dirt-simple network setup stuff. Both the Apple devices and the Tripmate make it very easy on you.

Fired up the iPad's Amazon Video app, selected one of the films I had previously downloaded, turned on Apple screen mirroring, and there you have it...watching good quality movies on the TV, in a place that I suspect has never seen an internet signal.

Really like the Tripmate. It is fairly inexpensive (60 bucks on Amazon), has its own battery supply (I watched 4 hours of video using the router as the sole network service, and it had plenty of juice left), and kept up just fine w/ the transmission demand of a single device streaming a high quality video.

The Go Power is also a nice device. Never got hot, or even warm. Simple setup using a cigarette lighter adapter, so no actual "install" required. FYI, the draw on the house batteries was negligible, from what I could tell.

I'm not an Apple fanboy by any stretch, but I have to say, their devices are very easy to configure and use.

Finally, kudos to the Amazon Video service, especially its new Prime Download feature. Hopefully one day Netflix will catch up on this feature. Would be nice to plug into their more extensive library.

I'm going to test out a Google-centric setup some time in the future.

GDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
FYI the tripmate on amazon can be had for $39 using D4EG538B at checkout at [CNET's PICK] HooToo Wireless Travel Router, USB Port, High Performance, 10400mAh External Battery Pack Travel Charger - TripMate Titan: Computers & Accessories. Thanks to CNET Cheapskate. Yah I bought one

Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote