Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

City water connection heat

So far this winter, I have habitually disconnected my hose from my Sunseeker city water connection anytime there is potential for freezing weather and rely on the fresh water tank supply until temps return above freezing. I am considering using a heated hose and insulating the tap (source). The city water connection on the Sunseeker is plastic, but it may still freeze despite using the heated hose. Suggestions please?
black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Love My Sunseeker

I bought one of those heat tapes, but haven't used it. I heard you can't put the heat tape on the hose. You can wrap it around the faucet.

I do like you, just use freshwater tank when temps are freezing. Easier.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

They do not recommend using the heat tape on a hose but I have done it for three winters and have not had a problem. Do not wrap the tape around the hose but just install on one side using electrical tape to hold it in place. Then cover the whole hose with the foam pipe wrap. I use the red construction tape to seal the seam. I also triple the foam around the city inlet at the trailer. The censer for the tape I attach to the pipe at the supply line. It must be attached to a metal part. The CG where we stay supply 5 gal. pails that have Styrofoam sprayed inside. The pail is then put over the supply pipe. You could make a wooden box line it with Styrofoam and put over the supply pipe.If you can seal outside bottom with sand it will prevent a draft that will freeze the pipes faster then the cold will. This worked with temp. down to -5c or about 20f.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

Disconnect and use the water tank and pump system. Time to test the system. Fill FW tank, turn on pump and enjoy. I leave my pump on all the time. Just say'in.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water connection