Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #21

We installed the Atwood driver's swivel seat in our 2012 3170 last year. There are two things which made our swivel seat base so hard to operate. One is that the swivel mechanism uses four wheels each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter around which a disc revolves. The seat is attached to the disc. The disc is about 15" in diameter if my recollection is correct and the wheels are at 90 degrees to each other inside a round cutout about 12" in diameter, again as I recollect, in the center of the disc. The wheels keep the the disc in place as the disc rotates. The wheels rotate on bolts through their centers which were so tight on our base that the wheels would either not turn or only turn with difficulty and, consequently, the seat was almost impossible to rotate. Loosening those bolts so the wheels would turn easily and lubricating the disc where it bears against and rotates on the frame of the base allowed the seat to rotate much more easily. In addition, the mechanism has a pin which goes through the disc into the sliding part of the base which keeps the seat from rotating when the seat is in the forward position. The pin is 3/8" in diameter and goes through a sleeve through both the seat base and the disc. The pin is drawn down out of the hole on the rotating disc as the seat is pulled back away from the driving position. The pin is drawn down by the pin mechanism sliding along a sloping rail as the seat is pulled back. Our pin rusted in its sleeve after installation, would not draw down, and our seat would not rotate at all. The pin has never seen water while the seat base has been in our possession and I don't recall any dampness when we opened the box. The pin mechanism would come off the sloping rail as the seat was pulled back. It took a punch and a hammer to drive the pin out of the disc down into its sleeve. We removed the pin mechanism and replaced it with a 3/8" bolt dropped through the holes in the disc and the seat base so the seat won't rotate when the seat is in the driving position. The bolt is removed when the seat is moved back and the seat is to be rotated. I intend to obtain a replacement pin assembly to replace the bolt to avoid the possibility of forgetting to reinsert the bolt when the seat is forward.

We like and use the rotating seat now.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c