Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

Class C Engine Mainenance

OK buying first Class C...Sunseeker GTS 2430S...Unit sits on a Ford F450 V10. My question is where do I take it for regular maintenance like fluid changes and oil air filters, etc.? RV dealer or a Ford dealer auto place?
fritzg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #2

What a coincidence! We'll be picking up the same unit in 3 weeks, can"t wait! Do you have yours in your possession yet? I'd love to hear more about it.

I plan on doing all of my own maintenance, been doing it all my life. The only thing you should have to worry about in the first year are oil changes, and from what I've read, the Ford E450 is about as easy a vehicle to change oil in as anything. Many places can do an oil change for you, though you may have to look around a bit for one that can take a bigger vehicle. There are lots of maintenance threads that can lead you through a DIY oil change, including disposing of the used oil.

Air filters these days only take about a minute to replace, so just look up the instructions in the owners manual, pick up a filter at WalMart, and swap it out yourself.
RDJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #3

Congrats..Picking up ours in about a week or so..Is actually a used 2017 with 3400 miles on it. Owner bought a C and a B at same time and after a few months decided just needed the B so we think we got an awesome deal. Thanks for input on maintenance will see what book says on when and I will try to find a where. Cheers FROG International Rally August 2017
fritzg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Site Team

I take our GTS to my local Ford dealer. It was a whooping $31.00 for an oil change and chassis lube. Not all Ford dealers can handle a motor home so call ahead first...

BTW the E-450 has some fittings that require regular greasing on the front suspension. The first time you lube them you have to remove the plugs and install the zerk fittings...
2021 F-150 4X2 SuperCrew Lariat 502A, 3.5L Powerboost Hybrid, 3.55 gears, Tow Technology Package, Tow Mirrors, 1,840# Cargo, 7,000# Tow, 7.2KW Pro Power, Sumo Springs, A.R.E. Z2 Topper

It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I do the local Ford dealer also.
Call around and look at reviews, all dealers are not equal.

I bought an older (2006) motorhome and wanted to do the 25k service early (had 14k miles but 10 years old). Tried to get a quote from 3 dealers, only one would give me the price than asked about the MH and walked through the 25k service and suggested a few areas where I could wait.

-Bill
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #6

The only place I found for my motorhome service was a Ford commercial truck dealership and they are pricey and slooow. I do most of my own maintenance.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

I do all of my own maintenance, (oil & filter change on my E-450 is easy) but I have had it to the Ford dealer. Very good service with oil & filter change, new tires etc. I needed 2 new tires in Alabama and had a VERY hard time finding someone that would work on it, (Local Ford dealer said they couldn't lift it!!) I found a trucking company that did a great job!
Old 03-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #8

Not too hard to do yourself. Mine has a remote filter that is vertical and the drain plug is in the open. Only 4 grease fittings on the linkage. I made up two ramps that I drive onto, 2x8 two high with a stop at high end and have at it. I use motorcraft filters and oil.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #9

I found an independent automotive shop that does light trucks. They have about about 10 bays for cars 1 bay for motorhome/light trucks with a mechanic that is experienced with motorhomes. Very affordable. They've done brakes, suspension, exhaust & engine work. So if you look around you may be able to find something like that.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

I would find an independent shop that you like and trust. Check yelp or other places for reviews.

I do all of my own basic maintenance, but I have a mechanic that I trust that I take things to that I don't want to do. I'm 6'4" so bending over an engine all day sucks, so stuff like engine gaskets, etc, I take to him. I found the guy via word of mouth, and he treats me right. He did the head gasket on my wife's car for $250. I took my car to him because I thought the head was blown on it, turns out I had a leaking overflow line that came out of the top end of the engine. I'd have never known, but a $400 job went to a $20 job, and he won my business forever after that.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #11

Make sure to get the front end aligned. Pack it as you would going on the road and take it to a good front end shop to do the alignment. There is only one shop in my town that could do it because of the lift and the ceiling height required. Just happens that they have a very good reputation for doing good work.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kins83 View Post
I found an independent automotive shop that does light trucks. They have about about 10 bays for cars 1 bay for motorhome/light trucks with a mechanic that is experienced with motorhomes. Very affordable. They've done brakes, suspension, exhaust & engine work. So if you look around you may be able to find something like that.
I also have an independent to do what I can't. He also rents RVs and has given me lots of tips!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #13

We have a dad-son mechanic shop about a mile away that we take all of our cars and truck to for routine maintenance and repairs. They do a great job with working on our RV, as they both have RV's and know how to work on them. Find one, and it should work for you.

Tags
class c