Old 12-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #1

Class C Leveling Question

We have a 3170DS, and have taken it out once, camping at a level drive through site. We didn't even use the rear jacks. Upcoming we will be at a number of parks, and are wondering about leveling the coach. We only have rear jacks, the salesman said we probably wouldn't even use them??? Certainly we will, but are leveling blocks something we need for the front wheels. Should we also chock the front wheels too? Thanks for the insight.

LTRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #2

We seldom use anything to level our C. Most campsites will let us get level enough with some selective positioning. IF we do need a bit of help we have a couple of 2x10 stepped boards that give ~1-1/2 & 3 inches and a shovel that will let us pile dirt/gravel. One does not need to be dead level as long as the slope is not much and in the direction that keeps us in bed instead of sliding out. ;-)

Old 12-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

I have auto levelers and use them all the time. Just not for leveling. Also stops some of the movement of the coach. Main reason for leveling is for the fridge.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRVing View Post
Should we also chock the front wheels too? Thanks for the insight.
Yes, you should definitely chock the front wheel(s). When you put the vehicle in Park, and set the Park brake, both of those actions only affect the rear wheels. It is unlikely you would roll forward if your rear axle was raised off the ground with your rear levelers / stabilizers but chocking the front wheels removes the possibility.

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #5

I think you have stabilizers not jacks you don't level with that its only to firm up so not to rock when walking or moving in Rv
Old 12-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #6

FWIW I do not think I have ever seen anyone use front wheel chocks. On basically level ground with the parking brake on and the transmission in park I would wonder why one would.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #7

It's interesting that the original poster only has rear jacks. The Sunseeker and Forester coaches sit about 2 inches lower in the front. Many times we have only had to put our Lynx Leveler blocks under the front tires.

And yes, you need be very alert and avoid lifting the rear wheels off the ground. A friend who had levelers on his Forester mentioned the scare he had when this happened. Front chocks are a good idea.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #8

I too use the Lynx blocks up front and my jacks are snug in rear and up front where the entry door is. This brings up the front when being in one spot for a while. I like the coach as level as possible. I use a one foot level and check several areas when leveling. I also like that the movement is at a minimum.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:20 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
My take is if you are in private campgrounds the pads are almost always near level. If you are in state or national park campgrounds you are lucky if the site in near level. I have a set of the Lynx blocks that make leveling fast and easy.

As far as chucking the wheel, unless you are at a very steep angle the parking break is good (for motor vehicles "park" must hold the vehicle stationary on a 30% grade by law - from memory).

My lyn blocks have cracked a far amount, and today my Son gave me a set of Camco blocks so I will get to compare them. Possible future post.
=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRVing View Post
We have a 3170DS, and have taken it out once, camping at a level drive through site. We didn't even use the rear jacks. Upcoming we will be at a number of parks, and are wondering about leveling the coach. We only have rear jacks, the salesman said we probably wouldn't even use them??? Certainly we will, but are leveling blocks something we need for the front wheels. Should we also chock the front wheels too? Thanks for the insight.
The s
Sizzor Jacks are strictly for stabilizers I use leveling blocks then crank down Sizzors. I also have them on.front to take movement out.

Tags
class c, leveling