Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

CO detector bleep and bonus brake light question

Hi All,

First post \0/

2015 Sunseeker 3100SS

So our Safe-T-Alert CO / propane detector started going off this weekend about 5 mins after turning the furnace on. The first morning, we turned off the furnace and opened the door and vents in case there was a genuine CO problem related to the furnace. 2nd morning, exactly the same deal again.

The thing is though, the control panel shows a red/green flashing LED for CO and emits 1 bleep every 15 seconds. According to the manual, this means low voltage or a fault of some kind. However, I'm guessing it must really be detecting CO as it only happens when the furnace is on...so why not the "proper" CO alarm instead of the fault warning?

The unit is around 3 years old. I checked both the external exhaust ports (spotless) and the inside extraction vent, which was also clear. Any ideas? It's a pain to get our RV to the shop as it's some distance away and we only just got it back from the last issue.

Next issue. We had a tire blow-out (rear, inside) which punched a hole from the wheel well into the RV. Didn't do any internal damage, but took out some wiring that ran under the RV in that area. The shop said it was for the outside utility light, so they fixed it up. However, I now notice that one of the brake lights isn't working. There are 2 on each side. The top one of the passenger side stack is not working. Could this have been from the wiring damage when the tire blew? Or maybe just a dead bulb? I actually have no idea if it was out before the tire went, to be honest!

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookiecat View Post
Hi All,

First post \0/

2015 Sunseeker 3100SS

So our Safe-T-Alert CO / propane detector started going off this weekend about 5 mins after turning the furnace on. The first morning, we turned off the furnace and opened the door and vents in case there was a genuine CO problem related to the furnace. 2nd morning, exactly the same deal again.

The thing is though, the control panel shows a red/green flashing LED for CO and emits 1 bleep every 15 seconds. According to the manual, this means low voltage or a fault of some kind. However, I'm guessing it must really be detecting CO as it only happens when the furnace is on...so why not the "proper" CO alarm instead of the fault warning?

The unit is around 3 years old. I checked both the external exhaust ports (spotless) and the inside extraction vent, which was also clear. Any ideas? It's a pain to get our RV to the shop as it's some distance away and we only just got it back from the last issue.

Next issue. We had a tire blow-out (rear, inside) which punched a hole from the wheel well into the RV. Didn't do any internal damage, but took out some wiring that ran under the RV in that area. The shop said it was for the outside utility light, so they fixed it up. However, I now notice that one of the brake lights isn't working. There are 2 on each side. The top one of the passenger side stack is not working. Could this have been from the wiring damage when the tire blew? Or maybe just a dead bulb? I actually have no idea if it was out before the tire went, to be honest!

Thanks in advance!
Can't help with the CO detector. They are a PITA. The brake light has nothing to do with the blowout. Only one wire goes back. If one light is good the other is a bulb or just loose blub.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Are you plugged into shore power?
The furnace is somewhat of a 12v power hog. Maybe the battery voltage is dropping enough with the furnace running to activate the low battery voltage warning in the detector.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Team

X2 Blower motor is likely drawing the battery voltage down and triggering the low voltage alarm in the CO detector. If you have a volt meter, measure the battery voltage with furnace blower motor running.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #5

Thanks all - I'm guessing you're right...we were on battery power when using the heating. We only wanted it on for a few mins as we woke up to the first frost of the season and had cold toes

I'll also take a look at the bulb for the brake light then.

I wish I had discovered this place sooner
Old 10-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #6

Just as a tip, mine went bad in under three years. Check everything else, but be aware it could be the dector.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #7

bye bye 60$

Got just shy of 60 months out of ours. Easy replacement, but they could be out there for less..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

Check the instructions on the front of the CO detector. The beeps every 15sec may be end of life warning. The detectors have a 5 year life. Just because your RV is only 3 years does not mean your detector is only 3 years old. I think there is a date sticker on the back. Easy to change, 12 volt 2 wires. Can be found on Amazon. Some of them are CO/Propane combo units.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

On your tail lights, if you are running bulbs not LED"s, need to get a few extra bulbs as the lens are not very water tight. Bergman makes replacement plug and play LED lens which, after the last trip, I plan to change my bulbs to the sealed LED's.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #10

CO2

I had a similar problem w/ CO2 sensor. I was towing and it started going off. I checked battery w/ amp gauge and battery was below 12 volts. New battery fixed it. On the tail light, change the bulb and try it. I would put Entherbond on hole where wheel blew in wheel well.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #11

Our 2015 had one go bad after 2 years. Very easy to replace.
carol108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #12

Ours went bad after two and a half years.

Tags
light