Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

CO Detector Problem

Writing to get some help with false (I believe) CO alarms.

2013 3100 Sunseeker.

Was getting some lights & beeps on the alarm during our last trip. The lights & beeps pattern did not match anything in the detector owners manual. I chalked it up to a bad detector. I replaced the detector with a new one. The production date on the new detector is last month.

So I figure I’m good with a new detector.

Last night, it went off again. This time, the lights & beeps pattern clearly matched a CO alarm per the detector owners manual.

Here’s some background info what was going on last trip & this trip when the alarm sounded:
  • 7th night out last trip, 3rd night out this trip (so not right away after parking).
  • Plugged in. The only thing on in the coach was the fridge, a couple night lights. Neither the generator nor furnace was being used (so I don’t think there was anything on that was kicking off CO).
  • The coach had been closed up both times the alarm sounded. We weren’t in it. We came back to the alarm sounding.
  • Both trips, we opened windows & ran the fantastic fan. But the alarm came back shortly after closing the windows some & turning off the fantastic fan.
  • Eventually, because it always happens at night, I pulled the fuse (felt comfortable doing this because, as I said, it’s random & I don’t believe there’s any appliance actually kicking off CO).
I’ve read on this forum that it might be due to the coach batteries in the step not having enough water. I checked this morning & while the water wasn’t overflowing right up to the top it was full (maybe only a ½ inch below the cap if that).

So - new detector, random CO alarms, nothing kicking off CO that I know of, batteries have water - any ideas?

Thanks!
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I can only offer two possible: 1) 12v Battery isn't holding a full charge, 2) the CO alarm is failing early. Mine failed last year, "they" say life span is only 5 years and then they will start failing. Not sure why and they are not cheap...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post

2013 3100 Sunseeker.

Was getting some lights & beeps on the alarm during our last trip. The lights & beeps pattern did not match anything in the detector owners manual. I chalked it up to a bad detector. I replaced the detector with a new one. The production date on the new detector is last month.

Last night, it went off again. This time, the lights & beeps pattern clearly matched a CO alarm per the detector owners manual.

Here’s some background info what was going on last trip & this trip when the alarm sounded:
  • 7th night out last trip, 3rd night out this trip (so not right away after parking).
  • Plugged in. The only thing on in the coach was the fridge, a couple night lights. Neither the generator nor furnace was being used (so I don’t think there was anything on that was kicking off CO).
  • The coach had been closed up both times the alarm sounded. We weren’t in it. We came back to the alarm sounding.
  • Both trips, we opened windows & ran the fantastic fan. But the alarm came back shortly after closing the windows some & turning off the fantastic fan.
  • Eventually, because it always happens at night, I pulled the fuse (felt comfortable doing this because, as I said, it’s random & I don’t believe there’s any appliance actually kicking off CO).
I’ve read on this forum that it might be due to the coach batteries in the step not having enough water. I checked this morning & while the water wasn’t overflowing right up to the top it was full (maybe only a ½ inch below the cap if that).

So - new detector, random CO alarms, nothing kicking off CO that I know of, batteries have water - any ideas?

Thanks!
Battery containing water does not let it off the hook. The problem doesn't occur with low water, it happens with water being broken down to hydrogen and oxygen during the charging process, esp when over charging. The gas given off during the charge process occurs more when the battery begins to age. That's why its happening while 1. Charging, 2 Coached closed up, very common problem. If you place a small fan pointed at the detector, it will stop alarming.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post

2013 3100 Sunseeker.

Thanks!
Sounds like you think the fluid in a battery should be right to the top. There should only be enough fluid in each cell of your battery to cover the plates; not topped off. Maybe I read it wrong.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Sounds like you think the fluid in a battery should be right to the top. There should only be enough fluid in each cell of your battery to cover the plates; not topped off. Maybe I read it wrong.
The battery fluid level should not be all the way to the top of the cell. There's a marker about half way between the top of the plates and the top of the case. It looks like a tube stuck down into the cell with slots on each side. Add water to bring the level up so it just touches the bottom of the tube.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
2012 Solera

In our 2012 Solera, the detector in the stair well is a combination CO and propane detector. The propane side is sensitive to any organic fumes (most any spray, e.g. cleaners, lubes, deodorants, perfumes, hair spray, etc.) And of course propane. If you also have a combo detector, have you tried turning off the propane at the tank to make sure it isn't validly detecting gas?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #7

These Co/propane detectors are an area that needs a HUGE improvement. Search this forum as well as others and you will find thread upon thread of false alarms from these things. Mine too. Lots of theories and lots of solutions that just shouldn't be. Blow a fan on it? Really? Then shouldn't a fan come stock with the trailer? These detectors are crying wolf so much people are unhooking them. In my book this is insanity. Can't someone make a unit that works? Are these detectors that are installed dirt cheap like other parts of the RV? Is that the problem?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

CO Detector Problem

30 bucks for a detector with a digital read out. You can get them at Walmart. Every camper should have one, that way there is no guessing. You can actually see the number and know if your in danger or not.

I know it doesn't fix the problem you are asking but I had so many problems with ours I disconnected it and went digital.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
30 bucks for a detector with a digital read out. You can get them at Walmart. Every camper should have one, that way there is no guessing. You can actually see the number and know if your in danger or not.

I know it doesn't fix the problem you are asking but I had so many problems with ours I disconnected it and went digital.
Does that also have a Propane sensing side to it? I think that is the cause of the problems in that our Propane detecting technology must be needing a development spurt. Does yours 'alarm' if levels too high?
Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #10

Mine originally came with the 2 detectors separate. I have actually never had a problem with my propane detector. I tried several replacement CO detectors and always had a problem with them going off in the middle of the night. Without knowing for sure if there was a problem I had to wake everybody up and send them outside, open all the windows, and wait an hour. At least with the digital one I can see the number and know if there is a problem. Plus you can see it climbing and try to fix the problem before it gets to dangerous levels.

Like others have stated, the propane detector can be sensitive to many things. But if your all asleep it shouldn't be going off either unless there is a problem.

Do use your generator at all?
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotocrossCamper View Post
Mine originally came with the 2 detectors separate. I have actually never had a problem with my propane detector. I tried several replacement CO detectors and always had a problem with them going off in the middle of the night. Without knowing for sure if there was a problem I had to wake everybody up and send them outside, open all the windows, and wait an hour. At least with the digital one I can see the number and know if there is a problem. Plus you can see it climbing and try to fix the problem before it gets to dangerous levels.

Like others have stated, the propane detector can be sensitive to many things. But if your all asleep it shouldn't be going off either unless there is a problem.

Do use your generator at all?
Don't have a generator, small 23 ft. trailer. Mine appeared to be going off when we started colder weather camping. But went off last weekend when it only got down to around 50. Could it be overreacting to carbon DIOxide not MONoxide? Our is a combo unit.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #12

Hey paulmlac, what type of beeping noise did you hear? Constant, consistent beeping, four beeps and pause? We had beeping for about a minute in the middle of the night last weekend and before we could identify where it was coming from, it stopped.

RVFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Commercial Member

OK, we mentioned this to the supplier and asked what they were doing about false positives...their response was that they have had ZERO returns. Without testing they have no way to know what is broken if anything.

I am trying to get a number...but what is happening in the field? Is everyone just replacing them with a store bought unit? taking it to the dealer? Unplugging them?

They need to get a few bad ones returned before we will see any corrective action.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #14

I hate my dealer sooo much I do anything I can to NOT have to deal with them. I take care of anything I can without going to them. I guess I will remove mine and bring it in.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Hold that thought. Supplier asked me for a link to this site. I think they were going to pass an engineer over to take a look. Stay tuned.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #16

LP/CO Alarm Return to Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
OK, we mentioned this to the supplier and asked what they were doing about false positives...their response was that they have had ZERO returns. Without testing they have no way to know what is broken if anything.

I am trying to get a number...but what is happening in the field? Is everyone just replacing them with a store bought unit? taking it to the dealer? Unplugging them?

They need to get a few bad ones returned before we will see any corrective action.
CO Detector Problem

Mr. Clemens,
I didn’t return my LP/CO alarm because it was out of warranty when I gave up on it. It had been giving false alarms since it was less than 18 months old, by the date stamped on it.

If you will post or PM an address and contact name at the vendor, I will send the original LP/CO alarm, which is now four years old, to the contact for testing.

The identical replacement alarm started giving false alarms almost as soon as I installed it. I know the alarms were false because they occurred several times a full day after the LP gas was turned off and the batteries were switched off, so there could not be an LP leak (I bled the gas down at the stove when I turned the tank off) or offgas from the batteries. The newer one is now two years old.

Since we will not be using our Sunseeker for about six weeks, I will also send it to the contact for testing if he will send me a working new one.

As always, thanks for your help in solving another problem.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
Commercial Member

I'm not sure we're using the same supplier that we were using 4 years ago. I think we had this issue before which is why we switched.

That and there was a high pitch hum that only dogs and myself could hear. (not sure what that says).

Old 05-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #18

Thank you bclemens for getting involved with this. Should I take mine to the dealer or should we shortcut that route and send directly to someone else, maybe to the manufacturer. We bought our trailer a year ago so it is the current model you might be looking for.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Let's see what the supplier says. I'd rather skip the dealer and make sure we get it into their hands.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #20