Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
CO/Propane Alarm Scare

The CO-propane alarm just inside the door step of our 2011 sunseeker 2300 went off twice yesterday... Once in the morning and again just after we went to bed.* The first time we thought it a fluke...the second time we turned off the propane valve, opened windows and door and slept with the exhaust fan on. No further alarms.* We turned off the hot water heater, have the fridge turned to auto (we have an electric hookup... 50 amp with borrowed 30 amp adapter if that is relevant).. And i'm afraid to use the oven or stove for the remainder of the weekend.
** Other related info... we just had our propane refilled the day before this started happening... and my husband and I both had nagging headaches all day yesterday.
* How worried should we be?* Should we cut our weekend stay short (we have no cell phone or internet service in the campground).* Should we be worried about starting up the engine to drive home?* Should we try turning the propane back on to cook dinner? (we are driving into town this morning in our tow vehicle for breakfast and phone service before deciding next steps).

Scott and Carol
2011 Sunseeker 2300
Life is an adventure!
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
Our CO (only) detector in the bedroom went off last night at 3 am.
Careful search showed nothing.

Reset by removing and replacing the battery; nothing so far.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Ours went off - scared the daylights out of the wife and kids.

She was spraying the kids down with an aerosol sunscreen - some use propane/butane as a propellant/solvent. Will set the thing off like nobody's bidness!

Had to put a fan on it to clear out the fumes.
Jill & Chris, Wills (15) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 36
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
a low battery will also set it off

Hair Spray will also set it off too.

The headache could be a fluke - if you step outside and breath the air outside the camper for a few minutes - does the headache start go away?

I would hit the reset button on the detector give it a few to reset and turn the propane back on and see if the alarm comes back
2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 - Matt
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Qaud Cab 4x4 with 35" tires and 3.92 gears, Dynatech Longtube Headers & Fabtech 6" lift + Superchips with shift Tuning
Nights Camped 2011 (37) - 2012 (16)-2013 (2) -2014 (5) -2015(0)
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
According to what I've read, methane will also set them off.
Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Was using-----------

Was using 409 to clean the stove and floor right in front of the stove when the alarm activated, scared the heebeejeebee out of me. I read all the warnings about the alarm, says that some cleaning solvents will activate it!
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Appreciate all the replies... No cleaning solvents or other sprays/chemicals being used... Will check for batteries, although the manual said that would create a different alert sound for CO, malfunction, or low battery... This has definitely been a propane alert. Manual said if it went off twice in 24 hours to evacuate and call the fire department... I'm just glad it hasn't blown up yet... Headache could be from restless sleep!

One thing comes to mind besides a leak... The rubber covering the entry steps is glued down to the metal plate beneath with some adhesive that tends to "melt" and dribble down the front of the stair when it gets hot..I've had to use solvent to clean that up before, but it hasn't been that hot lately (has happened more while sitting in the driveway for days in heat)... seems like that could contribute to the problem though. Anyone else have this issue?

Most recently the alarm sounded again....with propane valve off.

Not sure if this unit has a removable to check
Scott and Carol
2011 Sunseeker 2300
Life is an adventure!
new to us RV owners April 2012
2012- 100+ days camping + Panama cruise
2013- 60 nights in our RV so far (as of Aug 1)
cllecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Mine would go off out of the blue all the time. Sent it back to maker. They said nothing wrong with it. Well have had it back in camper for almost a year now and it has only gone off hen wife uses hair spray. LOL
2016 Forester 3171DS
Work 28 and 28 around the world.
Camp every chance we get

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
ours made a very high pitched noise from new, sent it back and eventually ccrv (1year) sent us a new one which has worked fine every week. we regulary test it on each trip to to make sure
Coupey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Too old to be too smart
First time out, first night out, the carbon monoxide alarm went off. Scared the wife, but I just turned on the bathroom ceiling exhaust fan for a couple of minutes, and left a window open. Did not re-occur.

Since ours didn't originally come with one, I added it, and mounted it adjacent to the propane detector, reason being that home units are plugged in at about eighteen inches off the floor. I suspect it didn't like the mounting location, as they are supposed to be mounted high, not low. Turns out, CO is slightly LIGHTER than air.

It's now been removed, and awaiting a high re-location before the next outing.

2004 Terry 250RKS, perfect for the two of us and the pups. It recently replaced our Flagstaff 21FB.

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3:73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote