Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
Coach Battery Charger

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 2860, since I dry camp about 90% of the time, keeping my coach batteries at an optimal charge level is a prime concern. I realize 6 volt batteries in a parallel/series combination is the best way to go, but I have four 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel.

1) Does anybody know where the coach battery charger that runs off of the coach generator is located?

2) I read about "smart chargers", these chargers will not overcharge batteries and cause what's known as "sulfation". Does anybody know what charger is used in a 2013? Is it a smart charger?

3) Is the stock charger that comes with the Sunseeker 2860 sufficient to charge 4 batteries in parallel?

4) It seems that the engine alternator charger does a quicker job of charging the coach batteries than the coach's generator's charger.

As an example, I ran the 4 parallel batteries down to 12.0 volts last week as the heater was running during the night. Starting the Onan generator and running it for 2 hours didn't seem to fully charge them to the 12.6 volt level I was looking for. Driving home for the hour on the road with the engine alternator/charger charging them, did.

Thanks for any input.

KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
1. not sure, I'd have to ask.
2. The convertor uses the 3 stage charging which is good. We rarely see suffocation.
3. Yes
4. Correct. I will sometimes run the engine instead of Gen.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote