Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Coach Battery Charger

Have a new Sunseeker 3100SS. Being that schematics, coded/colored wire bundles, and system descriptions are lacking, I am wondering about battery charger. With switch on in coach, I understand that the charger is powered anytime AC power is on. The big question is - does the battery also charge when the truck engine is running? If so - does the switch position make any difference?
I am a boat/airplane person and am used to having a complete schematics and system description manual. My learning curve is a little flat here with nothing but subsystems descriptions and not how fluids, electricity, and air move around in the coach.
Thank-you in advance!
captainflavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

From my understanding, when the engine is running, the alternator will charge the coach batteries once the chassis battery is charged. I believe this does require that the coach battery disconnect switch must be in the position where the house batteries are NOT disconnected.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainflavius View Post
Have a new Sunseeker 3100SS. Being that schematics, coded/colored wire bundles, and system descriptions are lacking, I am wondering about battery charger. With switch on in coach, I understand that the charger is powered anytime AC power is on. The big question is - does the battery also charge when the truck engine is running? If so - does the switch position make any difference?
I am a boat/airplane person and am used to having a complete schematics and system description manual. My learning curve is a little flat here with nothing but subsystems descriptions and not how fluids, electricity, and air move around in the coach.
Thank-you in advance!
Contact FR and ask for the wiring diagram. They will email it to you

On mine it does not matter if the coach disconnect is on or off. The batteries are being charged off the chassis at 14.1-14.3V

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #4

Just came back from a weekend trip before we departed the camp site (where we dry camped for 3 days) the panel read 1/3 charged on the batteries. Drove 2 1/2 hours to the house checked the panel again when we arrived home and it showed fully charged. Yes the house battery switch was on the entire trip.
jjfmd2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery