Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

So I am a newbie, heading out on my first long trip today (Saturday). Thursday night I went out and started the fridge up. Friday morning everything looked good. We loaded it up and I even ran the generator for a hour to recharge the batteries. Saturday morning I came out and everything was dead. The batteries must have given out Friday night, because the fridge was now warm. Shouldn't the batteries last longer than that? Any ideas what I did wrong? How long does the generator take to recharge the coach batteries?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

Yes the batteries should last much longer. Were they fully charged after the generator run? Using the generator to charge the batteries is a very costly and inefficient method. Can't you run a simple extension cord to plug in? Don't need much current to run frig and charge batteries.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPJG View Post
So I am a newbie, heading out on my first long trip today (Saturday). Thursday night I went out and started the fridge up. Friday morning everything looked good. We loaded it up and I even ran the generator for a hour to recharge the batteries. Saturday morning I came out and everything was dead. The batteries must have given out Friday night, because the fridge was now warm. Shouldn't the batteries last longer than that? Any ideas what I did wrong? How long does the generator take to recharge the coach batteries?
You haven't said how old the Coach/batteries are. If its 3-4 years old then the battery has probably reached its useful life. If its relatively new when the last time it was charged? The generator powers the converter for DC bus and small battery charger. A couple of hours would not bring a weak battery back to life. Charging all day and night would make it useful. The fridge on propane and battery takes very little power, lights and other loads take much more. The battery will last a couple of days with reasonable care, with heater running its down to overnight for most folks.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #4

My coach is brand new, it just rolled out of the factory in January. I checked my batteries before I turned on the fridge and it was reading 2/3 charge. I thought that would be enough for two days, but I still ran the genorator for a cushion. I guess it was not enough. I was a little worried about plugging in to a house outlet. I guess if I don't run the A/C or heater I should be ok to plug into my garage?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPJG View Post
My coach is brand new, it just rolled out of the factory in January. I checked my batteries before I turned on the fridge and it was reading 2/3 charge. I thought that would be enough for two days, but I still ran the genorator for a cushion. I guess it was not enough. I was a little worried about plugging in to a house outlet. I guess if I don't run the A/C or heater I should be ok to plug into my garage?
By all means yes, use your garage A/C . Just make sure the water heater is off or breaker open on electric. That pulls probably 12-14 amps by itself. As you mentioned with minimual loads, converter, some lights and alarms you'll probably draw no more than 6-8 amps. Of course that will include the fridge for a few more amps, plenty of room on a 15 amp circuit. I've done it for years in various coaches. The converter running this way will charge the batteries in 1-2 days or less depending on their condition. As Herk says the 2/3 charge really means in on the downside and fast. Better to go by voltage or hydrometer of acid level. The "gauge" really should be used to confirm "charging", not condition. Have fun this year, we got a good start, just finished 3 months in FL, great weather. Next year you should consider a trickle charge or periodic charging of your battery. Left in cold for months can only shorten its life dramatically.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

You could leave the unit plugged in especially in cold weather to keep the battery charged. The converter is supposed to be a three stage unit and you could leave it plugged in all the time. I prefer to use a Deltran battery tender Jrs, actually two, one on the coach battery and one on the chassis battery for the winter. I have my unit stored in a garage but if you are in a really cold climate and outside it might be good to move the batteries to the basement or more temperate location.