Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #1

Coach radio power 3170ds

I have read a lot in the forum stating the coach radio is wired to the coach battery When ignition on, and to the chassis battery or shore power when off. Well my radio does not work with the ignition off. I have to move it to accessory to use the sound of the radio for the TV. Can someone please let me know how to be sure my radio is working off of shore power or how to make it work off of shore power? I just don't want to kill my battery. Thanks!
desant89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:56 AM   #2

I also have a 3170 and when the ignition is off the radio plays only if the rear power dial is in the on position.
bdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 AM   #3
Wait till next year...

x2 battery switch would have to be on
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #4

With my 2860, the radio does not work with coach power, only with the house battery. So I have to turn on the house battery while driving to have my radio on. Seems odd, but I usually have it on while driving anyway.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

I have tried it several different times including just now as we are at a site. There is no way to turn my radio on without turning a key in the ignition. Coach battery switch is on, and I am plugged into shore power. So everyone else can just press the power button on their radio with no key on ignition, and it turns on as long as the coach better switch is on?
Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
Citrus County, Fl.

I believe it depends when your unit was built. As I recall, FR made the change sometime during the 2015 model year. My 2016 gets power from the chassis battery when the engine is running and from the coach batteries when off. This is indicated by a red light around the on/off switch when parked.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

I probably should have specified, mine is a 2013. So if my ignition is on accessory, Am I using my chassis battery? Would be really weak of there is no way for me to use that stereo for TV sound without killing my battery as the TV has the weakest volume I have ever heard.

Of course add a leak to the top of the bunk house popout now.... I will save that for another topic.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #8

Of course add a leak to the top of the bunk house popout now.... I will save that for another topic.
Just a quick reply on that. We had the same problem. I took off the slide topper and ran Dicor along the seam toward the front of the slide. That should fix the problem.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
Just a quick reply on that. We had the same problem. I took off the slide topper and ran Dicor along the seam toward the front of the slide. That should fix the problem.
Thanks! I will do that when I get home. Does that topper come off easily?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

You could add a switch to choose power source or a relay to auto transfer with ignition off.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by desant89 View Post
I probably should have specified, mine is a 2013. So if my ignition is on accessory, Am I using my chassis battery? Would be really weak of there is no way for me to use that stereo for TV sound without killing my battery as the TV has the weakest volume I have ever heard.

As was mentioned earlier the radios have been wired differently depending on the manufacture dates. I have a 2012 and the radio was wired to use the chassis battery and required the ignition to be "on" or "accessory". I believe FR determined how stupid that was and sometime during the 2013 model year run the radio was changed to be powered by the coach battery. The other reason that was bad is the chassis battery is not made to deep cycle (which will quickly shorten it's life) like the coach battery system.
I revised my wiring and installed a selector switch on the dash so I can power my radio from either battery system which I would recommend you do. End answer is "Yes" you will be depleting your chassis battery unless you are plugged in to shore power or operating the generator, either mode will keep both battery systems changed.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #12

We have a 2013 3170 and can run front radio and DVDs on coach batteries with ignition off.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #13

My 2012 can run off either battery. FR added a little circuit in the power line to the radio that switches power. When chassis power is present (key in on or accessory) it provides power to the radio. When key is off, coach provides power (assuming the battery disconnect is in the on position). The circuit (I assume probably some diodes) is covered with a bundle of tape right behind the radio.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 08-21-2015, 10:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
As was mentioned earlier the radios have been wired differently depending on the manufacture dates. I have a 2012 and the radio was wired to use the chassis battery and required the ignition to be "on" or "accessory". I believe FR determined how stupid that was and sometime during the 2013 model year run the radio was changed to be powered by the coach battery. The other reason that was bad is the chassis battery is not made to deep cycle (which will quickly shorten it's life) like the coach battery system.
I revised my wiring and installed a selector switch on the dash so I can power my radio from either battery system which I would recommend you do. End answer is "Yes" you will be depleting your chassis battery unless you are plugged in to shore power or operating the generator, either mode will keep both battery systems changed.
Where did you pull the coach power wire from? Can I grab that from the seat switch?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by desant89 View Post
Where did you pull the coach power wire from? Can I grab that from the seat switch?
I brought a wire down from the 12v power port for the TV. It runs down under the panel behind the seat, under the door step panel, then up behind the kick panel to the dash and over to a rocker selector switch I added in the blank spot next to the dash power port.

I believe the switch under the seat for connecting the batteries together just operates a relay to do the connection. If the relay power comes from the coach batteries it seems possible you could connect there. If you disconnect the chassis battery and there is still power at the switch then you should be able to use it. Don't know what amperage the circuit is fused for but it probably would be enough to power the radio if the radio doesn't have a high power amp.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, power, radio