Old 09-12-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Cold weather camping in a Sunseeker MBS?

Does anyone have any actual experience of cold-weather camping in an MBS using the Artic Pac tank heaters? I see the heat pads on the black and grey water tanks but I don't see one on the fresh tank. This seems like a problem. I see some older posts on the topic for Solera owners but I'm hoping to hear something current.

ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
We have the tank heaters but not much experience with them yet in cold weather so I'll monitor this thread. I'm wondering at what outside temperature we need to turn on the gas heaters to warn the basement with the tank heaters. My experience with the RVs we've had without tank heaters was that we could get along for not more than two hours and not colder than 28 degrees without worrying about water freezing in the basement if we use a 100 watt bulb by the water pump and docking station.

StoneyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Not sure about the MBS, but my Sunseeker doesn't have the tank heater on the fresh tank either but it is in the bedroom under the bed. So I don't think it is in much danger of freezing there. Check where your fresh tank is, it might be inside as well.
2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
2012 Solera
We like early spring and late fall camping. As a result, we have awakened to snow several times (up to 4 inches) and have camped - both with and without hookups - several times with overnight temperatures in the 20's. We disconnect our water hose on expected cold nights (if with hookups). Again, if with hookups, I will turn on the "Artic Pac" sometimes. Without hookups, I avoid both the "Artic Pac" and the furnace, as both are heavy battery users. Without hookups we use a portable "Buddy Heater".
No issues to date with plumbing freeze ups. I believe by keeping the living area "comfortable" - mid 60's - the radiated and conducted heat sufficiently protects the plumbing from outside temps in the mid 20's.
2012 Solera "S".
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #5
My experience last winter with my Solera: I live at 7,000 ft. But wanted to delay winterization and use it for frequent trips to LA to visit family. I was told: the plumbing runs inside, not underneath and pretty well protected. Along with Arctic Pac, I would some turn on furnace or small space heater( a lot quieter.) I filled the skylights and vents with the padded inserts they sell, or I cut foam core, also used on windows and side door. A heavy blanket was used between the cab and coach( most heat losss is from cab.) I cracked open the cabinets and cover under the bed to let the heat warm the plumbing. Weather got down to low 20's at night without any problems. This insulation also works great in reverse for hot weather too. I just stack the foam core on the bunk during the day.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
I have a Sunseeker 3010DS and my freshwater tank is completely inside the coach under the bed as others have said. Unfortunately, they didn't allow any way for heat inside the coach to get into that cabinet under the bed, so I'm not sure how long it would be good for and at what temp. I'm thinking about figuring out where I could drill a couple vent holes into that space from the bedroom itself so that the heat from the furnace could get in there better

jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, sunseeker