Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Colored Fiberglass? What do you think?

Every year we look at doing colored fiberglass. Every year, we decide its not time.

Obviously it gives you a "painted look" at a lower cost...but its not free. So for just a little more, you get the benefit of automotive paint, clear coat, 3M paint shield and zero vinyl decals.

If we switch we would like to switch to one color and that means eliminating white. How many of you prefer white with graphics over colored glass or paint?

This may be biased since you are here, which means you bought white or paint but I'd like to hear your opinions...did you look at a colored fiberglass unit? What swayed you either way?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #2

You're right, I am biased. It gets pretty toasty in the Summer here in Texas and I find white is the only way to go.
It's amazing how just the slightest tint of color can cause the body to absorb heat.

I guess my vote would be to keep white as an option however that works out.

As a side note: our dealer told us the Forest River had a better paint/body decal setup than the Winnie, I can't recall why he said that now though.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #3

IMO alight earth tone with some graphics would be nice. I personally would not pay for full body paint just because of scratches. Got more than enough on my SUV.
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
NELA

We could have purchased an 8528 in the tan/brown color. We opted out for two reasons;

1. heat here in the south
2. wasn't worth 1K added to the price

Wait...
3. Didn't match our TV as well.

edit: oops, just realized I posted "out of my own lane" here.

oh well (shrug)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #5

The outside color had very little to do with our purchase decision. The decals do have a few nicks and scratches after a couple of years. A finish (colored fiberglass) that is more durable than decals would be good. I would buy that.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #6

After the price quote for full body paint, white was our color. A lighter earth tone with or without strips would be a nice.. Colored fiberglass instead of paint has appeal. How much weight would it save? Would it be more durable? Would colored fiberglass be easier to match for patchwork?
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #7

Paint. My previous Vectra had 4 color paint and it sure
was easy to take care of. Waxed it once a year and
people couldn't tell it was a 2004, thought it was new.

Brian tell us about the graphic decals FR is placing
on their current rigs. How long will they last before
they start giving up the color and cracking? I'm
talking about average use.

Thanks
Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Weezer, you're welcome to post outside of your lane. At least you are "on topic" and that still helps me for my purposes.

phelpo, there is no clear cut number on that. The bulk of that will depend on where it is located. Seattle where it will never see the sun or Arizona where it will never see an overcast day?

For the last 5 years or so we have been using an egress vinyl (don't quote me on that name). The bane to any graphic is bubbles. When you apply the vinyl, the fiberglass can give off a gas. This egress vinyl allows the gas to pass through the film minimizing bubbles, improving the application, which prolongs its life.

Howzball. Yes. Winnie last time I checked was still using filon fiberglass. This has more of the fibers on the surface. Filon, being a rougher surface will dull and yellow over time (very quick time). We use Vetroresina which is a gel coat. No fibers on the surface and it is clear coated. When painted, we are painting over a smoother base so better paint appearance (shinier, then we clear coat that). Even when not painted, it is a higher gloss finish. The gel coat finish will not dull or yellow like filon, it is also easier to repair.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

No white on mine. I like the beige fiberglass with black decals.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #10

White for Florida sun seems like the right choice for me
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #11

I am out of my lane too....but white all the way in the South! And to me it just looks cleaner...

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #12

I did look at the colored unit and was it very nice. We liked it until we saw the price. As I recall it was $8000. Wife says it was even higher then that. Gel-Coat has worked on our boats so we stuck with that.
DrJMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
Plain Old Member

I prefer the white as an option, mainly due to heat in the south. Had our run with 2 painted motorhomes, darker colors, and won't do it again. Our SB has the colored fiberglass with gel coat, but it's a very light color, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I think if the colored glass was a very light color, it'd be fine. Otherwise, I'd stick with white. A lot of people still like function over bling.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
We also like the earth colors of the Rockwood but bought the Wildcat for the larger tanks, carrying capicity and the 2" walls.

A friend just got a new 42.5' Raptor Toy Hauler in Black with sliver/white decals. I'll bet this summer those a/c's won't ever shut down.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #15

Here in west Texas, white to keep cooler. Love the looks of full paint schemes though.
----------------------------
Nights camping:
(31) 2014, (18) 2013, (62) 2012, (57) 2011
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #16

We ordered our XLR in gray. Can't wait to see it. I'm not a huge fan of white, but then, I live in the northeast where the blistering heat isn't really a factor (maybe for a month or so.) I liked the idea of a color NOT like everyone else's, plus it blends in out in the yard better. Maybe. We'll see.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #17

Paint please

I like the look of the paint with a clear coat. From a manuafacturing perspective, filler and paint can hide some minor imperfections, i am not sure you have the same latitude with colored fibreglass

I personally like the clean look of the white and not sure I like having that option taken away.

One thing I have never understood is why FR (or the industry) needs to up-charge for a color other than white. Almost every paint shop in the world can accomodate different colors....I assume the upcharge is because the unit is painted white and then re-painted in the darker color...Twice the material twice the labor....because other than red.....there is not a lot of difference between the cost of white paint and tinted (in fact zero comes to mind).

Can you imagine our response if we were told a white car will cost you 15K but a blue one will cost you 19K.....We would have a LOT of white cars on the road....You can have any color you want ....as long as it is black
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Color is more expensive, because white comes white. its not painted.

For us to do color...the glass has to add pigment (not as high volume as white so a tiny more there), but also all the rest of the parts come in white or black. So you either deal with the parts being black or you paint them, which adds cost.

Even on automotive....custom or special colors "pearl" always cost more than the regular.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #19

BC, I looked at both Thor and Jayco C's with colored glass before ordering a Sunseeker with FBP. I liked the color on the Thor better than the Jayco, but really wasn't that impressed with either. I think I like white just as well, as long as it's clean, and that of course, is the problem with white. It will show dirt easier than, perhaps, colored glass.

I'd like to see you offer skirt paint like the Forester, only with more color options.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #20
Average Joe

If colored glass were an option, I most likely would have ordered it. I didn't opt for paint since I was worried about upkeep. Looking out at my gelcoat PU cap, it still looks great after 15 years....

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote