Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

Compost vs Black tank OPINIONS

After reading about all the problems with black tanks (Plumbing issues, odors, hazardous waste, having to find and drive to dump stations). Why wouldn't you think Compost toilet? Does it void any warranties? Will the dealer install? Give us your opinion (or lack of) on good or bad? I'm really considering this for my 2500TSF. Need your input.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #2

One opinion: disgusting

2014 Sunseeker 3010DS, 2001 Jeep Cherokee toad
tmhyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Infractee

Never have had any problems with black system. If I did I would fix just like any other system on the unit. I agree that it is not the most pleasant chore associated with camping but I get it done with zero drama and move on. What is the alternative? Use the terlets at the CG (if they even have) or go in the woods like an animal?
It's not a big deal, certainly nowhere near enough of a problem for us to even contemplate doing something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

There was quite a long thread on this not long ago. Can't remember where it was though. It has been done. There are pros and cons to both. Not something I would do, but something that some have done. I don't really see where there are that many issues with any of the things you listed. If you learn what to do, and not to do, you shouldn't ever have any trouble with the existing toilet or black tank. Boondocking long term is the only time I could see any advantage to a compost. Here's a link to one couple that did do it. Click on the videos.

Composting Toilet | Gone With The Wynns

I would say that most dealers would not install one for you. Just a guess. I don't see where it would void your warranty. All depends on what and how you modify.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
There was quite a long thread on this not long ago. Can't remember where it was though. It has been done. There are pros and cons to both. Not something I would do, but something that some have done. I don't really see where there are that many issues with any of the things you listed. If you learn what to do, and not to do, you shouldn't ever have any trouble with the existing toilet or black tank. Boondocking long term is the only time I could see any advantage to a compost. Here's a link to one couple that did do it. Click on the videos.

Composting Toilet | Gone With The Wynns

I would say that most dealers would not install one for you. Just a guess. I don't see where it would void your warranty. All depends on what and how you modify.
Interesting videos, actually... But some strange birds...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

They are definitely a "unique" couple.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #7

The biggest problem with the black system is what it holds. People flip out and a minor issue is approached like a nuclear spill.

I've been doing this 12 years now and not had a problem outside of one sensor issue. 1/3 tank of water and 20 pounds of ice in the tank fixed that right up.

You'll occasionally hear about an issue, everything has problems but it's a simple system and easily repaired.

I wouldn't change but it's up to you if that's a direction you wish to go.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

I did not watch every video but my take is why is it such a big deal to empty the black tank. Like above in 10 years of RV camping never had an issue that is worth mentioning...

Never had a plumbing issue but I let the tank fill before emptying.
Never had a smell from it unless I left the b-room fan on high when sending it down the tube, then it might suck some air up from bellow. But I would think even the composter would smell under that same circumstance. I do not know how they could not say it would smell, it is #2.. The blower requires power so when your battery dies and no fan I guess it will smell. My black tank does not smell with or without power (or a fan).
Not sure about the hazardous waste... It is still #1 and #2 whether in a black tank or composter. It is still human waste which is, I would guess, inherently hazardous to your health to play with.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #9

Thank you all for your feed back. I have no problem with the black tank idea. I had done it for years. It's just been awhile. We sold our old motor home and have been doing tent trailer camping since. Now we have a motor home again and was wondering if any one else had thought about going or has gone the compost route. Apparently some have a strong opinion (which I asked for) on the subject. LOL I just wanted to get away from finding or having to pull up camp to go to a dump station. It seems that composting toilets have evolved over the years with RVs, boats, homes. Surprised I didn't get any "positive" responses though. I might have to re-think this.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #10
Site Team

i don't get all the hoopla about black tanks and their maintenance.

i've never had any issues with smell, dumping and everything else it requires.

i guess it's just the aversion some people have to the whole process.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMPDK View Post
Thank you all for your feed back. I have no problem with the black tank idea. I had done it for years. It's just been awhile. We sold our old motor home and have been doing tent trailer camping since. Now we have a motor home again and was wondering if any one else had thought about going or has gone the compost route. Apparently some have a strong opinion (which I asked for) on the subject. LOL I just wanted to get away from finding or having to pull up camp to go to a dump station. It seems that composting toilets have evolved over the years with RVs, boats, homes. Surprised I didn't get any "positive" responses though. I might have to re-think this.
I do not know enough about them to have a set opinion.. I am sure there is a reason to have them (or they would not exist! LOL). I guess my thoughts above are simply because I do not like to fix what ain't broke or what already works just fine as is! I have never had an issue so why change and risk an issue and like Bikendan said, some may just not like the process of dumping but I do not care either way. Not a big deal IMO.

For you they might be better I just do not know your specific circumstances or needs. If it was my reasoning and I wanted to do it because it was the hip thing to do today, I would pass. If those videos (which were actually very informative) fit your needs go for it. Its your trailer do what you want with it, you do not need our blessing to live in it how you wish because, really, we al may have an opinion but I have yet to see someone really say they had it and hated it....

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
black, black tank, forester, sunseeker, tank