Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 AM   #1

Considering replacing dinette

I've got a 3010DS with the huge (I think) U-shaped dinette. While it's very nice and comfy, it eats up an enormous amount of space and means I can't have a full sized couch. And that means my only choice to lay down or recline and watch TV, read or whatever is to climb up into the over-cabin space.

Does anyone else have one of these and considered doing anything similar? I would pull the whole dinette out and replace it with a free standing table and chairs a-la many fifth-wheelers, and then get a "real" couch or couple of recliners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	142380855256949 (1).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	100532  

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

What's under the dinette?

There is a double recliner option on the 3010, replacing the sofa. If you search this site for 3010, you'll find threads on that retrofit.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

Just finished installing a Lazy Boy reclining love seat in place of the couch in our 3010. Love the full recline feature of lazy boy.
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips...I did read a couple of the threads on this, and it seems the biggest issue in the recliner retrofit is the fact that the floor under the current couch doesn't really have anything to "attach" the recliners to. I'd be curious to see how others have accomplished that without a much larger project than I want to get into. Also there were some mentions of the weight of the recliners detracting from the amount you could tow behind.

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 02-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post
Thanks for the tips...I did read a couple of the threads on this, and it seems the biggest issue in the recliner retrofit is the fact that the floor under the current couch doesn't really have anything to "attach" the recliners to. I'd be curious to see how others have accomplished that without a much larger project than I want to get into. Also there were some mentions of the weight of the recliners detracting from the amount you could tow behind.
Our recliners were strapped to floor rings. No need to have a lot of stress, just enough to keep them from moving.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

I was reading the same threads recently. The way I read it, if your model year had the option for the recliners, your model has the proper structural backing support for you to retrofit. I think 2015 had the option.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

You only need them anchored in case of an accident or if you will be sitting someone in them while driving.
I left one set of seat belts for the rearward recliner and I can tie the front recliner to it if needbe. I never do though- it leans up against the bulkhead in our rig anyway.
They really do not move around during normal travel.
You can use rings on the floor and tethers as CapnJohn stated.

I yanked my dinette and love it- my thread is in the Forester section.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #8

Total Loss: Just looked at your thread with all the pictures...great job! Gives me motivation to give my own even more consideration

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 02-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post
Total Loss: Just looked at your thread with all the pictures...great job! Gives me motivation to give my own even more consideration
Thanks.
We love ours.
Took my first nap in the chairs....priceless...
Old 03-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekwiat View Post
Just finished installing a Lazy Boy reclining love seat in place of the couch in our 3010. Love the full recline feature of lazy boy.
Hello Rver, what model # lazy boy did you get, were thinking of doing the same to our 2014' 3010DS? thx goots
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots View Post
Hello Rver, what model # lazy boy did you get, were thinking of doing the same to our 2014' 3010DS? thx goots

Goots, we got the James LA Z Time reclining love seat. Can't find the model number but the James collection should get you there. This size fit well within the space of the old couch. Had to add more floor to the slide so that we could get "full recline". Was not a bad mod. Had to make additional adjustment for the wife due to her disability but that's just for us. Go for it they are very very comfortable. Just can't beat Lazy Boy for comfort😄
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote