Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

Convex Mirror Options for 2014 Chevy 4500 MH

Have need for a larger add on convex mirror for a 2014 Chevy Express chassis motorhome. Does anybody have experience in selecting a good set and what was used? Were there any problems mounting them? Thanks.
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #2

I am interested also.
Looking for something I can attach to the lower portion of the mirror housing.
Typical auto parts stores don't seem to have anything.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Guess most are happy with the stock offering on mirrors.
I am a retired toolmaker so the need to put my skills to work again is most likely needed. Thinking the same place as you mentioned. The housing seems to be some sort of plastic.

Will be making plans for most likely a 6 inch round convex mirror. Will need to make an aluminum bracket to hold the new mirror and attach bracket with 2 threaded bushings and screws for proper strength. Will keep you up to date on progress and plans. First thing to check will be if the electric main mirror will tilt far enough up to expose the bottom area better.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #4

The mirror on the far right on the Bus/Transit page would have been my preference:
Bus / Transit | Velvac

Even on our new 2016, we still have the same Velvac mirrors as those that were on our 2000 Four Winds. If anything, I can replace the heads with this new style, but I'm not ready to toss the money at them just yet...

Ryder Fleet Products carries Velvac mirrors - here's a link to their page:
Velvac Mirrors, Convex Mirrors Rear & Side View Truck Mirrors

The one on the right is only $87, each.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post
Thanks for your reply. Guess most are happy with the stock offering on mirrors.
I am a retired toolmaker so the need to put my skills to work again is most likely needed. Thinking the same place as you mentioned. The housing seems to be some sort of plastic.

Will be making plans for most likely a 6 inch round convex mirror. Will need to make an aluminum bracket to hold the new mirror and attach bracket with 2 threaded bushings and screws for proper strength. Will keep you up to date on progress and plans. First thing to check will be if the electric main mirror will tilt far enough up to expose the bottom area better.

Good idea.
I have some alum laying around also.
I also have some textured black plastic sheet to make it blend in.
May do the same if I cannot find anything.

Right now- I have a big fab project to start- 2 additional receivers for the rear frame/bumper for a motorcycle rack. Cut/hack/weld in my future.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

Total Loss -

So you will have three? Interesting. If the outer two were above the bumper I could still blue ox the toad and my DW can continue planning hub and spoke excursions .. (wow, we have our own language!)
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Total Loss -

So you will have three? Interesting. If the outer two were above the bumper I could still blue ox the toad and my DW can continue planning hub and spoke excursions .. (wow, we have our own language!)
Thats the plan.
I decided to weld them to the underside of the square bumper and bolt them to the frame using the existing bumper bolts and one other lower frame bolt tab. 3/16 plate should do the trick and grade 8 bolts.
The M/C rack will still be above the stock hitch height enough to use the towbar beneath the rack for towing the toad.
And then the bumper will unbolt with the 2 outer receivers if need be.
If I don't take a toad along, I can still use the center receiver for a bicycle rack. 1 motorcycle and 2 bicycles with about 525 lbs on the rear frame.
The 4500 springs should be able to handle that. If not- some air bags next.

I have built these before and they work great.
You can even set the rack up to allow the bike to "float" on the rack where the suspension still works.
I used to have a setup on a prerunner truck I had where I could jump the truck with the dirt bike on the back rack.

May post up when done.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #8

Well my mirror project is done. If you care to see the results check the pdf file.

http://users.snip.net/~mogul/MH/Mirror.pdf
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #9

That's pretty cool! I was thinking of something similar to give the passenger a decent mirror as the main passenger mirror is adjusted for me (the driver). All the passenger can see is the side/front corner of the coach.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Racer View Post
Well my mirror project is done. If you care to see the results check the pdf file.

http://users.snip.net/~mogul/MH/Mirror.pdf

Great job...and great write-up.
I may copy you.
It looks as if you removed the spot mirror attached to the factory mirror.
Seems that will give you a lot more visibility down the side of the box.
Looks like my next project when I am done with the motorcycle rack.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #11

C-betr cb2020 for the class c velvac model 2020 . Nice separate convex mirror. We had c-betr's on a f250 that were awesome. $56
Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #12

I am trying to learn how to post correctly with pictures added to the post. Instead of linking to a pdf file. So this is just a repeat of the pdf file. Thanks for understanding. 17Racer

My question really did not yield much in the way of results. The Chevy 2014 came with side mirrors that look like this.

The convex mirror is kind of small at 3 inches. So searching was done on the internet but just could not find a 5-6 inch convex mirror with an offset mount. And that was what was in mind for me to use. So we have Pep Boys, Auto Zone and Advance Auto and they all had the same 5 ½ inch mirror with the last store having 2 in stock. They have an 8 mm offset mounting screw. And cost was under $10 per mirror.

Now some brackets needed to be made to hang them just below the flat regular mirrors. Made out of some angle aluminum and shaped and drilled to fit. Used all stainless steel fasteners and painted the parts white. Used a piece of shelving liner to help in the mount to have good even contact. After making the mounting brackets and clamping in place to make sure the convex mirror would position ok, the 2 holes were drilled in the main mirror housing for the two 10-32 screws with fender washers and lock nut.

Here are 2 pictures with the mounting bracket installed.

The new 5 ½ inch convex mirror gives me a much better view on both driver and passenger side.

And the arm still closes without touching the door. Also gave it the door slam test and it looks rock solid. The mount and convex mirror only have a total weight of less than 8 ounces so the mounting is plenty strong. Well there are probably plenty of ways to get similar results but this is how I got what I wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	96361   Click image for larger version

Name:	m3.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	96362   Click image for larger version

Name:	m4.jpg
Views:	90