Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #21

And the Plate being welded in.

The plate being welded in tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	44409  
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #22

More pics
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	216
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	44410  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #23

Another pic
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	221
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	44411  
Old 01-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #24

Last one
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	239
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	44412  
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 PM   #25

Mountainman, was it evident the the underlying frame was cracked? I'm curious if the corner (beneath the fiberglass) had evidence of something a little deeper failed.
I'm imagining the opening in the sidewall is welded frame. The crack in the fiberglass is a result of a crack in the frame (as ATVer mentioned).

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #26

They told me that was a pretty good sized crack under the fiberglass. The outer crack was just a symptom of the bigger problem. I wouldn't have even looked there except for this forum. Glad i caught it under the factory warranty.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #27

Good information. Hopefully Brian can add some input to this.

Thanks!

Bobby
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #28

Is the 3170 model the only one with this issue?
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #29

The Sunseeker sister Forester 3171 is prone as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #30

There are 3 more 3170's waiting for repair at this service center. They don't even sell Sunseekers.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #31

I am no engineer or welding expert, however I have spent 45 years fooling around in fiberglass boats. Brian Clemens said that motorhomes are designed to flex some. Flexing in some cases will cause gelcoat or fiberglass cracks. The first picture posted by Mountainman43 shows aluminum framework at the corner. It shows a clean space between what appear to be vertical and horizontal frame members with no jagged edges which I would think would result from cracking. If those frame members were not intentionally connected, and a solid piece is welded to connect them solidly. I would be concerned that this may cause rigidity in the frame not intended.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #32

All frames will flex a little welded even, but not to have a structure wall not welded at the seems to me crazy. At that point the fiberglass gel coat is only holding it together. The wall is 2" thick 1/8 or so on the outside compressed wood and gel coat, insulation and then another 1/8" or so on the inside compressed. No way that can hold a wall from separating or cracking. Fiberglass will show stress cracks just like on boats (spiders) this is a lot worst then spiders.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #33

Im just a retired AF cop, but I trust this service center to do the right fix. They have been working with FR and I think (hope) that should result in the proper repair.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #34

When I saw the photo I thought why was the corner aluminum frame not welded. I can't think of a reason you would not want the frame around the slide opening as rigid as possible. It seems like FR wants it that way based upon adding a gusset plate for the repair. Maybe some authorized (or maybe not) shortcuts were happening. I toured the factory and they told me the coaches are built piece rate so the faster the workers get done the sooner they can go home.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #35

I don't intend to get into an argument here, so this will be my last post on this thread. We have a 3170 with the crack. Mountainman45 said he was told that there was "a pretty good sized crack under the fiberglass". The picture does not show a crack. It shows two pieces of metal that do not appear to been previously connected. It may certainly be that they should have been connected but were not. It may also be that they were never intended to be connected. I'd want to know before I rigidly fastened parts of the frame of my motorhome that did not come that way. Forest River knows the answer and I'd be on them like a bird on a worm to find the answer. I'm way out of warranty and intend to dremel out a channel where the crack is, fill it with Marinetex, and see if it gets worse. If it gets worse, I'll go to Plan B, which I'll figure out if I need to.

By the way, we love our 3170

This is a wonderful forum and I value the opportunity to participate. I know other people have different opinions and I certainly respect them.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #36

[QUOTE=budblack;521281]I don't intend to get into an argument here, so this will be my last post on this thread.

Me 2. If you have a crack just patch it up per FR recommendations and move on. If FR has any issue with design or construction I'm confident they will take the appropriate action to remedy.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan43 View Post
Im just a retired AF cop, but I trust this service center to do the right fix. They have been working with FR and I think (hope) that should result in the proper repair.
I'm sure you will be happy with the repair they decide to do. and all this will just become a bad memory.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #38
Commercial Member

I'm sure the repair will be fine. As opposed to a crack, I'm guessing it was a missed weld, or they only got one side.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #39

I don't know about a missed weld, but there sure seem to be a lot of people out there with the same problem. As for the crack, the pictures were taken after they had done the prep work for the plate. My guess is that they cut out some of the cracked area. Getting the rig back tomorrow and will port some pictures. Thanks for the input everyone.

Tags
3170, sunseeker