Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Corner fiberglass crack on Sunseeker 3170

We own a 2013 3170 with 8000 miles. A few weeks ago the gaskets on the sofa slide dropped down when I opened the slide. I guess they have a tendency to come loose. While fixing that I noticed a small crack in the lower corner of the slide on the fiberglass wall.

What to do?

Just a few days ago I saw a thread on this and it made me remember the crack I saw a few weeks ago. I initially figured it is just cosmetic, but how does one tell? Looking underneath all the supports disappear into a wad of that blown gray foam. So I cannot see any of the mechanical underpinnings that are up against the RV wall as they are all covered. I can't tell if the mechanical structure is in any way compromised.

Ideas? What is a reasonable next step? Regardless of who does it, is the next step to peel back foam until all the concealed elements of the mechanical underpinnings are again exposed?

If anyone has lived through this, can you share how it all went down, what the steps were, if you would do anything differently?

ofranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Here is picture...Click image for larger version

Name:	3170_couch_slide_crack1.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	41516

ofranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Assuming that you're the original owner - I'd contact your dealer to try and start the warranty ball rolling (even if you're out of warranty- I'd still try that track first since it is so new).
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Definitely need to contact the dealer, but you need to get the crack stopped from propagating. One way to do that is to drill a very small hole right at the end of the crack. Then you can check YouTube for different ways of filling the crack permanently but you have to get it stopped. A small hole will relieve the tension at the end of the crack.

Unless you can tell you have a slide problem, I wouldn't tear anything apart.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Drill stop the crack, cover the crack with clear silicone. The crack probably started at the screw or ring nail holding that slide gasket....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
I agree to drill a small hole at the end of the fracture. It should equal the thickness of the material, 1/8" or a touch less. Fill the opeming with putty, similar color to the glass. Any fracture needs attention, i would also take pics and report to your dealer. I've seen them run 4' in posts of this forum. Yours doesn't seem that serious, keep an eye on it of course.
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Love My Sunseeker
Re: warranty...... a lady from Forest River (I saved the message she left me) said that they sometimes don't hold real tight to the 12 months, sometimes they will let you slide on, oh, month 13...... well, she said something to that effect. Like someone else said, try the warranty route.
JJ only, my cat went to Rainbow Bridge July 2015

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Unhappy We have same crack

We have 2012 3170DS as well (bought end of 2011), when bought there was a crack in same exact spot. RV dealer repaired it on behalf of Forest River. Flash forward to current day and its back in shop with SAME crack. We are past 1 year warranty and onto our 3 year Cornerstone warranty which I have been told will NOT cover this. To say I'm upset would be putting it mildly. RV dealer feels Forest River should cover costs and also told me that apparently this cracking is more common with these units than is publicly known. Does anyone else know of this issue happening? Since this has now happened twice the cosmetic repair is not gonna cut it, something is causing this structurally and I'll insist they fix that no matter how intangible it may be.
CSU_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
I have a crack since I bought mine, but in the rear corner near the bumper. Covered it with white silicone leak. No offers to fix it from the dealer.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
White silicone caulk that is.. Not leak

4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote

3170, sunseeker