Old 03-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
Custom Dash Pod to tame add-on jungle?

I currently have 4 'add-on' aftermarket electronic devices on or near the dash in my 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS (on Ford chassis).....GPS, Scanguage2, TPMS monitor, and time/temp gauge...

While it all works, I don't like the jumbled mess and all of the cords hanging around. And...I don't really want to hard wire everything as I may want to swap things out over time.

I had this dream of a custom dash pod that would match the tan interior and sit on the dash right above the spot where the upfitter switches could go. Then I would feed the various cords to power supplies, sensors, scan guage cable, etc behind the upfitter panel and down to where they needed to go. In addition to having a clean, OEM look, it would also avoid all of those cords hanging around.

So....does anyone know some place that makes something like that...I realize it would be custom and likely costly but that is ok. An extensive search online hasn't resulted in much.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
We have the chevy chassis and I made a wooden insert to house the XM and an additional rear camera screen. This method deals with the wires. I dont know the ford dash well enough to comment, got any cubbies on the dash?

Hoglou westGA
KM4HQQ 146.640mhz
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Site Team
You could try a local car stereo shop. And I don't mean a best buy type shop. One of those places that does nothing but car stereos. They should be able to build you something.

On the other hand, I hear it's actually not that hard to build your own fibreglass enclosures. I once looked into it online and there's some pretty easy directions. Not much different than paper mâché really, just different materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
What Kaadk said, and I will add that any marine boat upfitter does custom fiberglass work of this style too. It's also a good DIY project, and now with the internet there's a tone of instruction out there! Another option, if your shapes and profiles aren't real complex and you can make a reasonable skeleton is to use kydex as the finish surface. Can get it with various texture/grains to approximate your dash, and any automotive paint supplier can mix up paint to match your interior that'll stick to the plastic with proper prep and adhesion promoter. Good luck!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Thanks everyone....Those are all great ideas...I plan to explore each one in more depth and then do some planning..
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote