Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Damage to Roof - Factory Repair?

I had some damage to my roof on 2014 2650 from storm when branch fell on it. The branch fell mostly on the side cap that connects roof to side wall, and it busted the vent over the fridge/range area. Also, bent the awning tube.

My local dealer I purchased with was very busy, so, I took to another dealer. Now I am getting uneasy with what this dealer is telling me about the repairs. i.e. the entire roof needs replaced.

Is it possible to deal directly with the factory for this kind of repair ? Or do I have to work through a dealer to get to FR factory ?

My inclination is that if the entire roof needs replaced, I really would rather have that done at factory.

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks.
bubbleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

How much is the repair? Wouldn't that "total" it with such an expensive and involved repair.

I may be wrong but I'm not sure the factory does repairs like this since it is not a defect or warranty claim ( I do not know for sure so I may be totally wrong on this). I'd also try to get a second opinion on the damage, if you have insurance I would definitely get them involved.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

SS, thanks for reply ...

The repair includes some parts and the awning tube, complete total including roof replacement is $7300

The coach is 2014 with 9500miles, so, I don't think that would total it.

I do have insurance, they were just sent the estimate. I am planning to call my more local dealer back to arrange for second opinion.
bubbleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #4

Oh ok. I don't think that amount would total it either. I'd still get the second opinion from someone or dealer you trust. Since you have insurance I wouldn't worry too much.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #5

Mine is a 2014 CC 29RE....Underpass damaged my roof and front vent....Insurance claim was just under $8000.00.....Repair or replace??? You have to look at your trade in value or resale value down the road I did not want a half seam running across the roof or patches..................
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #6

If the roof sheeting was damaged. I would have the dealer replace the whole thing. Like Jim in Halifax said I would not want patching. A good dealer repair shop should be able to replace the entire roof, if rubber roof. It is not that difficult. The roof comes in a single sheet and cut outs done for the A/C, vent, etc. I had a neighbor replace his roofing sheeting and some of the wooden beams after a similar damage. He did not have insurance. If aluminum or fiberglass roof, that is another story. Based on your estimate and damage, the estimate sound about right but I would get a second opinion especially if the insurance adjuster wants to pay less which sometimes they do. I have it happen to me twice - on a home roof and car damage. They did not want to pay for going labor rate and tried to cut corners on parts. Lot of hassle with insurance paying. I guess that is why insurance companies make so much.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Rvroof.com. That is where i am going if anything happens to my roof. For that price, you could drive to Fl. Get the roof done, have a nice vacation and still be cheaper.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

rvroof.com deals with rubber type roofs Sunseekers have fiberglass roofs.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #9

repair replace on my 40ft.Sanibel was right at $12000. Definitely replace the whole roof...... Have a great guy just outside of Tallahassee FL work was done in a week !! !! Great guy and fantastic work
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
rvroof.com deals with rubber type roofs Sunseekers have fiberglass roofs.

Do a search for roof cracks. 4gcamper had a problem with his sunseeker roof back in 2013. Got pictures.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #11

Get better results searching for 4gcamper
Old 07-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

I asked a question an resurrected the thread. Just for FYI.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
Director, FROG

Try calling Mike Jankowski at the Forest River Class C Warranty and Parts Center. While this obviously isn't a warranty issue, he can advise you on the availability of service at the factory.

You can reach Mike at (574) 206-7625, or by e-mail at mjankowski@forestriverinc.com.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #14

Yes, I had some defects in my fiberglass roof after the purchase. After it was all said and done, I was able to get my roof repaired by RVroof.com. They deal with all types of roofing, from fiberglass, to TOP, rubber, metal.. You name it. This replacement would be much more cost effective than having the dealer replace the original fiberglass. What you will get though, is a permanent worry free roof able to withstand just about anything. Pine cones, hail, 20" of Rain, Snow..I think you get the point. The material is so much stronger than anything on the market, and now included a Lifetime transferrable warranty. In addition, to having a tough material, you will never have to walk on your roof again with a caulk gun as the roof material is permanently bonder to every square inch of the roof, and end caps. I have been extremely pleased with my new roof. I was skeptical at first and stressed about not having a "factory roof". Well 14K miles later and I'm still very pleased, and would do it again. In fact, If I ever bought another motorhome, I would probably opt for something with a cheaper TPO roof, and drive it straight over there to have a Flexarmor roof installed. The folks at RVroof.com are great...and no, I'm not getting kickbacks
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, repair, roo, roof