Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
DC volt meter install?

Has anyone here installed a DC volt meter near the disconnect switch? I was thinking I could wire it so that it only displays when you push the battery status button on the display panel. Having status lights doesn't give enough info on battery charge state.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2014 Sunseeker 3050S
Honda CRV (TOAD)
wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
If you want battery charge state...a voltmeter is a POOR solution. What you want is a battery monitor. Shows volts, amps, amp hours remaining, % of use, # hours remaining at present draw etc.
Volts is only an instantaneous reading and if something is ON or if the battery has been recently charged or in will not be accurate.
It will however...confirm your battery is dead!
Something like this or the trimatic version is a much better choice.
Victron Energy BAM001004000 BMV600S Battery Monitor
Trimetric 2025RV

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
All you need is something like this one.
You will have to have a switch to turn on and off unless you want it on all the time. I installed one inside my motorhome near my control panel.
New Mini Digital Voltmeter 4 2 30V Red LED Vehicles Motor Coltage Panel Meter G6 | eBay

$4.19 and free shipping.
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
I just installed a TriMetric 2025RV on the wall above and to the left of the disconnect switch. This is very close to the batteries and the install worked out great. FR even left us a split negative battery terminal wire so the installation of the shunt was easy. You are right about needing more info on the status of the batteries. The % of charge digital readout funtion takes the guesswork out of battery monitoring. Go to the co's web site to learn more: You can't buy from there so I purchased from Best Converter: Very good to work with. They also sell converter/charger upgrades if you need one.
TomG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Or, for a few bucks plug this in to your coach hot 12VDC outlets. It will give you a pretty good idea of your batteries state. When the voltage drops off to where things don't operate very good, its time to start the gen or engine. the accurate way to measure a battery state of charge is to check the cells with a hydrometer A PITA and even at that will tell you the condition of the battery. 12VDC systems are what they are. getting to know your usage and watching the voltage under load. Even with your emergency switch to start your engine, I wouldn't ever boondock without a portable emergency battery pack and or a small (like Honda 600 Watt) AC?DC generator, and some good jumper cables! It only takes once and you'll never be without one or all again. Just my 2 cents, been there! INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor: Automotive
asparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
As iggy did I made and installed a small panel at the entrance control panel It's just a voltmeter but it will show if the battery is being charged and will show battery voltage which can be used to identify if charge is needed. I just paralled off the awning switch +12 volt power wire (it's fused directly off the battery) and used a momentary push button switch for the meter. I think it will come in handy someday troubleshooting the electrical system. Any way it can't hurt.
Attached Images
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
Bubbles, I can't see you pics.

Ok, I can see them from the web. Where did you get the parts? That looks like what I had in mind.

2014 Sunseeker 3050S
Honda CRV (TOAD)
wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote