Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant
unfortunately, as Triguy said, this is pretty standard behavior from RV dealers.
don't assume the RV world works like the Auto world.
the only thing they have in common is dealerships and things on wheels.

out here in Calif., the 3 dealers that sold our trailer, were 40% higher than dealers in the Midwest. i was told the same thing by all three, that if i didn't buy from them, they would NOT do the warranty work. and this was back in 2006.
i contacted FR and they found other local dealers more than willing to do the warranty work, one being in my hometown.
so we bought ours from a dealer in Chicago and never had any issues getting the warranty work done, back at home.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Don't spend a dime at that place. They don't want your business, only you money.

Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Average Joe
I'm watching this one closely... Since I'm buying my MH from a dealer many miles away. It's disappointing that Leo's is acting that way. I tried to get pricing from a sales kid there, but he didn't respond. Good grief...
Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Funny... I just posted a service review here. I purchased a distance away but finding service locally sucks. Period. Barrington Motor's Sales (
Cumming, GA
2013 Georgetown 351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Originally Posted by ejkkj View Post
We have a Forest River Sunseeker 2014 2500TS, bought new in May from a dealer in PA. There is a local dealer in MD, only one in MD, who we went to last Thursday. We are looking to have several options added, maybe 5k dollars in cost. Since we would be leaving the 2500TS there for that work we asked about having some minor warranty work done. Door latch bad, 1/3 led light does not work on control panel, maybe 30 minutes work. I even offered to install myself if they could get me the parts. First answer we got was they would NOT do any warranty work since we did not buy it there. Service manager then said only if we had other options added work done they would take care of the door latch and led, but they had to get FR approval first, nothing could be done in less than 4 weeks, and the kicker was if FR paid them less than their normal service charge rates, we would have to make up the difference. Needless to say we were shocked, walked out of the place, and said I would let FR know, they said go right ahead and tell FR.
So much for nationwide FR warranty service. Anybody know where I can the parts?
CALL FR they will tell you the dealer does not have to perform any warranty work and honestly for what FR reimburses for the work any dealer that is busy with paying customers will turn away a non-customer. read the back of most of the factory advertisements it spells out why they encourage local buying.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
In most areas there are mobile RV mechanics (independent guys, but approved by suppliers like Dometic, etc.) who will happily repair your RV.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
In most areas there are mobile RV mechanics (independent guys, but approved by suppliers like Dometic, etc.) who will happily repair your RV.
I have two that I know about. One of them is a non-FR dealer who wants the service work.
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
I guess with RV sales booming this year dealers can be picky. In general I always do my own work including warranty work. I have had decent luck with warranty work on new vehicles in convincing dealers to give me the new parts to install and I return the old ones. I assume they just charge the manufacturer as if they did the work and get 100% profit. No problem with me as I know the work was done right and nothing else got broken or damaged in the process.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
I agree with you there. Frankly I just hate the inconvenience of it. If I take it in to a shop...I need shuttled back and forth, its a hassle. If they come out...I'm waiting around for someone to show up between the hours of 8am to 4pm.

Get me the part, I'll fix it at my leisure.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
I generally agree- but there are parts and aspects that I'm not comfortable wrenching on... ESPECIALLY if I had a driveable/MH. At the end of the day, there are a lot of times that you have to take it to someone else for them to do the work.

I think this dealer is being incredibly shortsighted in their decision. YES- it's their right and how the RV industry commonly works, but I still think it's a bad "bidness" decision.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote

dealer, warranty