Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #21

I'm currently trying to get my heat pump control board replaced under warranty without traveling 300 miles to the dealer I bought from. Two dealers who handle Dometic warranty work flat out refused. A third finally has agreed because my daughter bought a 5th wheel from them. They made it very clear they are only doing it because of that. Dometic would not send the part to me, even though I could easily have replaced it myself.

One of the dealers is in my small town. He doesn't sell class C units of any brand so he should not be offended. He has a pretty good parts store but I have purchased the last thing I ever will from him. This winter when I look for what is needed to set up for towing a dinghy there are a couple nearby dealers who won't get a chance at my business.

Maybe manufacturers should rethink who gets to be an authorized repair shop. Even though it is not their "fault" that dealers act this way, it reflects poorly on them and their brand name. In many industries (like McDonalds for instance) you can be independently owned but if you display their name you must meet the corporate standards for quality and service or you are out.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #22

Quote:
What is happening, is that the dealer is exercising their "option" to help you with the warranty work or not. You can read this in your Sunseeker brochure where the last page states that dealers are independent and do work at their discretion; especially with customers who haven't bought from them.
Scott's correct- read the last page of your brochure.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #23

I read it before buying and understand it. I'm not upset with FR (or the dealers for that matter). Just suggesting a more customer service focused business model might benefit all--manufacturers and independent dealers.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #24
MI Camperz

Too bad warranty work is an "option". I find that hysterical and that is putting it nicely! Imagine the opportunity for a MFGR. to set themselves apart by guaranteeing and supporting true nation-wide warranty work. It's a market opportunity for a quality and ethical leader.
Considering they are travel vehicles, one could be at the Grand Canyon needing warranty work, while their dealer is in Georgia. Then what? It's an insulting notion.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Too bad warranty work is an "option". I find that hysterical and that is putting it nicely! Imagine the opportunity for a MFGR. to set themselves apart by guaranteeing and supporting true nation-wide warranty work. It's a market opportunity for a quality and ethical leader.
Considering they are travel vehicles, one could be at the Grand Canyon needing warranty work, while their dealer is in Georgia. Then what? It's an insulting notion.

I don't disagree. It's unfortunate that's how the industry conducts itself.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #26

If Leo's RV has more business now than he knows what to do with, more power to him. But he better also realize that this business practice may come back to haunt him in the future when he loses business from anyone who might read this thread and goes somewhere else more consumer friendly.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
I don't disagree. It's unfortunate that's how the industry conducts itself.
We should rally with other RV groups and get our Senators to propose a bill to outlaw this practice. It could literally strand someone while traveling, the very thing they are sold to do. I believe campers and general consumers would support it. It's that obvious a flaw!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #28

For those of you who didn't read my review, there's a few "flaws" in my logic being a new RV'er. I approached purchasing a Class A like a car and went with the best price for the features I wanted. I didn't know at the time that RV dealers don't work on "other dealers" coaches because I figured it's like Ford or Chevy... something is wrong and you bring it to the nearest dealership to fix under warranty.

The 2nd thing that I did with my approach was to not only do warranty work but to do additional work as a "paying service customer". Such that, oil changes on the coach and generator, install vent covers and such. Thus, I'd be paying for work out of my pocket as well.

As I explained it to the owner of the service place I brought it into, "I cannot change or fix how I purchased my coach however I was attempting to build a business relationship moving forward". He just stated that one of the selling points to customers who are purchasing coaches from them is that they get priority. I told him that putting my MBA hat on, I believe he'd be killing his service work in the long run with his short term actions. Warranty work only lasts a year or two... I was looking for a relationship with a dealer/shop for the long haul. For me, he lost that opportunity.

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #29

Never pay money for poor service. That's my motto. Folks who do spend money on poor service, are the ones who keep poor service in business. Take your $5K and go to the next stop. Perhaps there is business there who will appreciate your business. I hear complaints all the time from visitors who have run into problems trying to get things done with their RV in a timely, professional manner. I know who the best RV dealer in Southern Nevada is when it comes to sales, and service after the sale, regardless of who sold the rig. PM me if you are ever in Las Vegas,(NV) needing something for your RV. I will give you their phone number. No, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just know they take good care of folks. Ironically I did not buy my rig from them, nor have they done any work on my rig. Just sold me stuff, and gave me great info to understand, and how to do my own repairs.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Difference with cars & RV dealerships is that car dealerships are franchise locations. RV's not so much, independently owned and operated. Monoco tried the "franchise route" a while back. It did not work well for them. They then went bankrupt (that's certainly not the cause...but no long term example of whether or not it would have worked)

I have to say though...this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. This is an example of one dealer not providing service. Just call the our service/warranty number and we can get you 4 other locations that can service the vehicle. No one is going to get stranded at the Grand Canyon.

I personally know lots of dealers that will provide service no matter what, hoping they can earn your future business. Certainly there are some bad apples... but its also the heart of the season and RV techs are in short supply...so a lot of guys do need to pick and choose. They just weren't prepared.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I have to say though...this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. This is an example of one dealer not providing service. Just call the our service/warranty number and we can get you 4 other locations that can service the vehicle.
Thanks for your response. It's not raising the flag on FR, just to be clear. However, living just south of Milwaukee, I'm pressed to just find one dealership in the Chicagoland area. Hard to believe but from Chicago and north, I haven't found any. I'd love to take you up on the "4 other locations"! LOL I'd love to have options!

In the grand scheme of things, the coach is only under warranty for a year and then I'm thinking I'll be going with Good Sam Extended Warranty. Then I can bring it to Camping World or where ever. For now, I've been working with April Conner at FR where I'll be driving into IN from WI to have it addressed at RecSpec. Sort of that short term solution to get my warranty work done. Again, I'm open for ideas though! Thanks!

https://curban.smugmug.com/Urban-Fami...rgetown-351DSF
ChrisMSNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #32
Commercial Member

April is the right person to talk to. We're also signing Camping World stores...so not sure why they couldn't do warranty work now.

I know someone on here takes it to their local service center (not set up with us) and was reimbursed by FR. There are always options.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #33

Try Camping World. We had a similar experience. We bought a 2013 Sunseeker 3010 at the Hershey PA show from a dealer in NY. We live outside of Philadelphia PA and called two local dealers who refused to do warrenty work. Luckily we did find a dealer that would. Called Forest river and as stated in another post the dealer is not obligated to perform the work. We also spoke with reps from Camping World and said they would perform the work in the future since they sell Sunseekers,
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #34

I'm new to RV'ing and had no idea getting warranty work done would be so difficult. We took ours back to the dealer we purchased from and it took them seven weeks to do some minor repairs. I called for an update near the end of the seventh week and they said there were still a couple of units ahead of me (same thing they said each time I called). So I told them I was coming to get it that Saturday regardless because we had a big trip planned and I would do the work myself. Somehow they managed to get some of the work done before I got there to get it. From now on I plan to do repairs myself. I also do not plan to return to that dealer when we are ready to upgrade. I may also look at buying used next time since (the more I read) it's starting to seem as though getting warranty service is difficult in general.

Such a shame to spend hard earned money on something that is a toy and not a necessity only to be left with such frustration with getting warranty repairs.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #35

Cool Warranty Work

The wife and I did some research before we purchased our 3010DS and found that this is somewhat prevalent in the rv industry. So we purchased from a local (60 miles away) dealer. I guess the wife and I looked like we were ready to buy because after getting back from the test drive the manager informed us that the price on the tag was incorrect and that the coach was $3,000 more then what was on the tag. I guess it was worth it because if we need to get work done it only takes a day or two.
Chas69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #36

I have some thoughts.

I found an RV parts and service center who works on anything. I need warranty work on my ONAN, looked on their web site for a repair center and found http://tonysrv.com/ in Lexington, SC. spoke on the phone for a bit to get that feel good vib. They stated that is all they do is RV service work. The work on all brands and employee a person full time that deals with the warranties from RV manufactures to extend warranties and all appliance warranties. No warranty, no problem. First appointment was 3 weeks out. I will drop unit on Saturday, diagnosis on Monday, parts arrive on Tuesday, I pickup on Wednesday. As we leave the following friday, no problem if parts are not there. just reschedule upon our return. We will see.

With mobile service and box store repair centers starting to come of age, I can see an entire repair industry evolving to support the RV and TT owners.
Let us hope that that is the case. And yes I did check with my dealer and was told to take it to an ONAN service center as they do not work on generators. Not what I was told.

We need a sticky for recommended service centers by the forum folks. What a resource that could be.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I have some thoughts. I found an RV parts and service center who works on anything. I need warranty work on my ONAN, looked on their web site for a repair center and found http://tonysrv.com/ in Lexington, SC. spoke on the phone for a bit to get that feel good vib. They stated that is all they do is RV service work. The work on all brands and employee a person full time that deals with the warranties from RV manufactures to extend warranties and all appliance warranties. No warranty, no problem. First appointment was 3 weeks out. I will drop unit on Saturday, diagnosis on Monday, parts arrive on Tuesday, I pickup on Wednesday. As we leave the following friday, no problem if parts are not there. just reschedule upon our return. We will see. With mobile service and box store repair centers starting to come of age, I can see an entire repair industry evolving to support the RV and TT owners. Let us hope that that is the case. And yes I did check with my dealer and was told to take it to an ONAN service center as they do not work on generators. Not what I was told. We need a sticky for recommended service centers by the forum folks. What a resource that could be.
As stated I had my Onan repaired. Tonys did what that stated. Picked up RV on the afternoon promised. I was impressed in the friendliness and the customer orientated focus of the folks at Tonys. The repairs were fully explained and documented..This place is a full service repair center. They work on all from pop ups to full class A's. Collision to full body paint. At this time I would recommend them and will be back for service.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty