Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #1

Dealings with the Forest River Customer Service Department in Elkhart, Indiana

Has anyone had any direct dealings with the customer service department at the Forest River in Elkhart, Indiana? We were summoned there at the end of March and told our RV was complete only to return to NY without our RV because next to nothing was done. We are now back in Indiana and hoping that we will be able to pick up our Sunseeker with all warranty repairs complete. We are looking for a positive outcome to a year + long fiasco.
Dthibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #2

I see this is your 1st Post and you have owned your Sunseeker over a Year! You have Nothing good to say about your Unit? Who have( You) talked to at F/R? What did your Dealer (Say/Do)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthibault View Post
Has anyone had any direct dealings with the customer service department at the Forest River in Elkhart, Indiana? We were summoned there at the end of March and told our RV was complete only to return to NY without our RV because next to nothing was done. We are now back in Indiana and hoping that we will be able to pick up our Sunseeker with all warranty repairs complete. We are looking for a positive outcome to a year + long fiasco.
They told you it was done and that it was time to pick it up? You then drove there to pick it up only to find out it was not done? What happened when you tracked down the individual that said it was done? How did they respond when you showed the documentation saying it was done? How did they reconcile that?

Sounds like something got crossed up.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

My dealings with Forest River in Elkhart has been 100% by phone and 100% satisfactory. I actually said to myself....now there is a group who cares about their customers. I wish the same could be said for their authorized service providers
Scooter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
Tinkerer and Putterer

I have a post that details my dealings with the Forrester support folks in detail. Suffice it to say that they performed all of my requested repairs, found a few more that I had missed and made some functional updates to my rig to bring it up to date with the 2015 models all at no charge. They also delivered the rig to my home with a full tank of gas. I have nothing but good things to say about the folks up in Elkhart.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter81 View Post
My dealings with Forest River in Elkhart has been 100% by phone and 100% satisfactory. I actually said to myself....now there is a group who cares about their customers. I wish the same could be said for their authorized service providers
yea, i've been having a problem with my A/C. I called FR and left a msg, they actually called me back later that day and called the dealer to look into my problem. As ticked off as i am about my camper right now, I really can't say anything bad about the people at FR.

dave
buffett2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

I've had nothing but bad experience with Forest River and written about this several times in the past so won't repeat myself here. However, I'm heartened to see some folks have had good experiences. It seems that FR has a Jekyll and Hyde personality.
2ramblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #8

We have had WONDERFUL interactions with the Elkhart folks. Calls / emails answered quickly and responses were more generous than we anticipated.
Special shout-out to Travis Bird & April Conner.

2014 FR3 30 DS
Nanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

I too have nothing but praise for FR in Indiana. Had a problem with a used trailer bringing into Canada. They assisted me with customs clearance etc. Thanks Forest River!
mcmilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

we had issues with grey water tank fitting snapping off our 2012 Salem. Called Tony and he checked into the issue. Resolution - i would have to repalce teh entire tank.
Resolution from IN was we will send you out 12 feet of piping and the connectors. Actual respolution was i got 3 feet of piping and one connector plus the piece that fits into the tank which we had to modify.

Issue with the roof and something that looks like a male groin...
its most likely insulation and sawdust that was swept up and left before they rolled the rubber out trapping it.
Resolution 1. leave it there and have it inspected by dealer making notation and have my warranty in tact once recorded or
Resolution 2. have a huge hole cut in the roof and remove the whatever it is and patch.

we left the mass under the roof whereas its not poking through.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter81 View Post
Same here. They towed my 5th wheel from Utah to Ind. and back for some structural repairs. The repairs were actually made by a shop that FR contracts with which is right next door from the impression I got. Great communication with not only FR but with manager of repair shop who id'd some additional issued with the Frig that we hadn't even noticed and they repaired them for free. They even sent pictures of the repairs as they were being made.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #12

I don't have a problem with the customer service people. It's the quality of the "Chinese stuff they use. Such as Captain Seats, Sleeper couch, and the Euro Chairs. Terrible quality.

Nights Out: 2010=104, 2011=118, 2012=96, 2013=114, 2014=120 & 2105=112
Flnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #13

I had great service at Elkhart. They had to rebuild the complete body frame and replace all walls. Did everything and some extras and returned it to me at a nascar race I was attending. I delt with jerry and give him a thumbs up.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #14

Forest River customer service

I have mixed interactions with the customer service. When we first looked at our Sunseeker 25TS and sat at the dining room table it was much too high. The dealer said no problem they can cut the post to make it the correct height. The part they cut off was tapered so it no longer fit in the table recess. Dealer said they could do no more.

I contacted FR customer service they were very friendly and said they would send the to correct post. In about 10 days the new post was received. It was completely the wrong post. Contacted customer service again and they sent me a new post. It was the right diameter but they also cut off the tapered end. I finally decided to taper the end myself which was a great deal of work but it now fits OK.

I tried to have the the motor home keys copied, but no one had the correct blanks.

I contacted customer service and they quickly sent me the several blanks so I could have new keys cut.

I told them about the abominable service I received from the dealer. My unit was not checked out at all before it was delivered to me.

One wheel cover was rotated so the valve stems were inaccessible.
The wheel covers were broken and needed riveting.
None of the tires were at the correct pressure, two of the 40 lbs under. These where the rear inside ones.
The Sunseeker came with two defective coach batteries and had to be replaced.

Unfortunately I live a little more than an hour from the dealer and he would not authorize anyone else to do the work.

I reported all of this to Forest River and received no response to these problems.

Papakilo
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #15

FR Service

I have had excellent service both from my dealer and from Forest River. Forest River has replaced the entire side of my 20SS Trailer and have done additional work both locally and in Indiana.

I have nothing but good things to say about Forest River and will continue to buy Forest River products.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #16

My dealings with FR factory service is the only way my coach was ever fixed correctly! I have a 2010 Cedar creek that had a list of warranty issues, and after dealing with 4 of the local dealers trying to fix my coach (and not even close to my satisfaction) I took it back the factory, and not only was my list fixed better than any local dealer by me they did a ton of little things to just make things better for all. I have also dealt with my cousin with his Fleetwood MH and have been back to that factory a number of times and they are the best also. All factory people know the coaches inside and out, they have all the parts right there, they can do work most any dealer would never touch. If you can always go back to the factory!
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #17

Forrest River customer service

Customer service is a difficult issue for any company because it's "ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE". They need feedback, both good and bad, so they know who is doing the job right and who isn't. Every company tries to put their best foot forward (even though it sometimes doesn't look that way) but they are only as good as the contact point. If you have unsatisfactory dealings with one person, ask to speak to his boss. Keep going up the chain until you get the right answers and solutions. The right person will always work with you and their dealers to make things right for you.
There is never a reason to accept poor workmanship or misleading information.
Your situation is outrageous but there is somebody there who cares about the company and its reputation. You just need to find that person and deal with him or her. The squeaky wheel gets the grease! Always!
vinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #18

Seems like a lot of warranty issues. When I spend a lot of money on a piece of equipment I don't feel I should have to deal with Customer Service on quality issues. Build a Quality product and I won't need to call Customer Service.

Nights Out: 2010=104, 2011=118, 2012=96, 2013=114, 2014=120 & 2105=112
Flnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #19

Called FR today and talked to Mitch in the Berkshire DP division. He answered all my questions I had, and he even followed up with an email. Great customer service and very much appreciated.
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flnomad View Post
Seems like a lot of warranty issues. When I spend a lot of money on a piece of equipment I don't feel I should have to deal with Customer Service on quality issues. Build a Quality product and I won't need to call Customer Service.

When you're following a thread about warranty issues you will hear from people with issues! That doesn't mean there are a lot of issues. I've had two issues in three years--one was a control board on the AC. Dometic replaced it--end of issue. The other was a problem with the radio. Magnadyne replaced it--end of issue. Both contacts started with FR customer service and they were excellent (specifically April Conner). My experience is that FR has built a quality product and provides excellent customer service.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

Tags
customer service, forest river, service