Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Design Flaws

Any design flaws on your units?

On my 2013 Sunseeker 3170, because of where the controller for the JACK antenna was placed, I can't open one of my cupboard doors more than 45 degrees if I can even get it that far. I'm guessing it's because the JACK had to go in a certain location on the roof and the controller had to be right beneath it. But it's still a royal pain. Someone just plopped the JACK on the roof without consideration of what the controller would affect.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

real deep pantries, you have to empty them to get what you want, cupboard doors that open to the ceiling
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

On my 2013 Sunseeker 3170, because of where the controller for the JACK antenna was placed, I can't open one of my cupboard doors more than 45 degrees if I can even get it that far. I'm guessing it's because the JACK had to go in a certain location on the roof and the controller had to be right beneath it. But it's still a royal pain. Someone just plopped the JACK on the roof without consideration of what the controller would affect.
Now that is a really dumb move on FR. It really makes no difference where on the roof they put it, just so it lays down. We need to start a thread about dumb things FR will do. I know on mine they put my sirius antenna under the roof so everytime the slide went out or in the top sweep ripped a whole in my roof. I made them move it outside on the slide wall and patch my roof. It really makes you wounder at times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sirius rip in roof 001.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	44052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sirius rip in roof 002.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	44053  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #4

Somewhat similar is: my FM antenna is right in the rotating path of the TV antenna. So twice around when I am turning the TV antenna I get a clunk when it hits the FM antenna. Since the FM radio is not that great and I don't really use it much, I am going to tie the FM antenna down. It will still pick up pretty much the same anyway.

As far as cabinet doors that open to the ceiling, I like that. You can have many doors open and they don't hit each other.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

I have the same problem with the antenna knob. Also add the stupidity of putting the black tank inlet behind the compartment door. Cant pin the door open when the hoze is hooked up. Also, the infamous crack by the livingroom slide. The engineers should have to live in a unit for at least a month before the design is finalized. Other than that, we love our 3170.
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
rip

Mine has to do with the antenna too... first they used an older Winegard antenna model this year instead of the current model IV with the improved digital channel reception. Saved a buck or two, I guess. BUT, then they just had to place the Winegard wall panel way back up inside a low cabinet... it's hard to tell when you have the amp switch turned on or off without getting on the floor and sticking your head in to see the upper side of that small cabinet, PLUS if you decide to upgrade the panel to the Winegard digital panel that measures signal strength or searches for best channel/signal, it's useless cuz you can't see the replacement panel's led display while you are rotating your antenna.

I really had to look hard to find at least this one design flaw. I really like the thought they put into setting up the many other conveniences and layout on my Windjammer.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
Average Joe

On my 2450, the drivers seat hits the slide when the slide is in. Limits the ability to recline even a little with the seat slide back. A bit cramped for taller folks.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Love My Sunseeker

To get around that one, I had to buy a bunch of those wire shelves. Sometimes I store things in those Sterilite drawers of various sizes stacked in the cupboard.

My pantry is narrow. Basically the width of a bottle. Not enough deepness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
real deep pantries, you have to empty them to get what you want, cupboard doors that open to the ceiling

Old 12-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
We need to start a thread about dumb things FR will do.
Actually, that is the purpose of this thread. I was just a little more diplomatic in what I called it.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan43 View Post
Also add the stupidity of putting the black tank inlet behind the compartment door. Cant pin the door open when the hoze is hooked up.
Yeppers, I've got that design flaw, too.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #11

Black tank flush location--can't pin open the waste water compartment and access the flush connection.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

If my antenna handle is turned towards the back of the coach, then yes, the forward cabinet door will hit the crank handle but when I turn the crank handle to the front of the coach, the same door makes close miss of the crank.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan43 View Post
Also add the stupidity of putting the black tank inlet behind the compartment door. Cant pin the door open when the hoze is hooked up.
I actually like the enclosed sanitary area but mine has capped port in the bottom of the compartment to slink the sewer hose through so the door can close. If your unit doesn't have one, they are easy to install. I can post a photo for reference if you like.

I agree with Bill on the black tank flush. You need the door open to operate tank valves along with juggling water hose to the city connection, the water hose to the flush and no access to the outside shower to wash-up. But from what Brian posted a while back - the flush connection has been relocated.

I still give FR two thumbs up on the build quality and features on their units.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #14

It's not so much the design flaws which are bothersome, but the shoddy workmanship, sloppy assembly and cheap materials that FR (and most other manufacturers) make use of in their travel trailers.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Black tank flush location--can't pin open the waste water compartment and access the flush connection.

My 2012 3120 had the black flush connection on the curb side of the coach. If it was moved to the proper side but behind the door on later models that would be even worse. There are 90 degree adapters that might give the room to pin open the door.

I relocated the black flush inlet to inside the sewer compartment, added a valve and coil of hose that I roll out to connect to the flush water supply. While there I added a gray water flush system as well.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #16

Sometimes they aren't design flaws but installation flaws. Engineers usually have a good reason why things are designed the way they are. I had a plumbing error on my coach that caused the water filter to be bypassed on city water. I reviewed the design drawings and confirmed it wasn't built as designed. FR agreed and would have fixed it free but I did it myself since it would have taken more time and cost on my part to take it to a dealer.

The examples of antenna crank and black water flush locations may be just an improper installation location. However that doesn't matter to the end user who has to deal with the issues.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #17

since this does not seem to be a discussion limited to MH lets talk about the Aviator. 1. upper cabinet designed so you cannot wash dishes without hitting your head. 2. built in spice rack, that after 9 months have not found a spice container that will fit in it 3. a pantry that you have to know which side you put things on so when its open you are on the correct side as it blocks the hallway. 4. an outside TV that transfers its sound to the interior so you can't watch the inside tv. 5. a thermostat in the bedroom that does not control the heat. 6. a dinette that converts into a bed but the circular cushion slides off when you try to sleep on it. 7. non ducted stove vent. 8. motion sensor for the outside lights that you cant turn off so even in storage the outside lights come on. 9. a front hood design that allows exactly one choice of hitch, as anything that sticks up above the frame will not allow you to raise the hood. 10. on a lessor note , interior materials that show every hand print as it its totally non porous and after camping for a few days when you turn off the ventilation condensation covers every inch of the interior.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
Love My Sunseeker

The 3170 has a "hamper." I like the idea, but it's a pain in the **** to use. I just use the hamper area for storage, and I put the nice little dirty clothes bag that came with it, in the bathtub. I have to remove it from the bathtub when I need the tub, but oh well.....

Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #19

Yeah, the hamper is a good idea that was poorly executed.
MountainMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
jdadoug

Design flaws

How about a cabinet door that opens into the ceiling fan
Yup that pretty "stained glass went into a thousand pieces........
I posted it on the Cardinal forum and they said
"Welcome to the club sonny"
jdadoug