Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Digital TV Antenna

Does anyone know how much better, if at all, the new fixed mast digital antennas are as compared to the "old" winegard crank up one's. Has anyone switched over? Easy to retrofit?
rbetzwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
CCRVOC

I installed the new bi-directional Winegard Rayzar Air antenna. Installed in minutes and went from 10 channels to 16 channels where we were camping at the time, including low band vhf, which is supposed to be questionable with this antenna. HD quality, and looks as good as the Batwing. (Kept the batwing just in case !)
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #3

Did not even know this existed. Might have to get one of these! Thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Commercial Member

We're running Jack Digital Antennas as our standard antenna now.

Fixed mast, no crank up...but it does swivel to maximize the signal. Built in meter tells you the signal strength before you ever scan for channels. Seems to work as well if not better then the Wineguard (at least our testing, mileage may vary) without the hassles.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #5

Fellow camper where we have a seasonal site has one on his new camper. Works great!!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Fixed mast, no crank up...but it does swivel to maximize the signal. Built in meter tells you the signal strength before you ever scan for channels. Seems to work as well if not better then the Wineguard (at least our testing, mileage may vary) without the hassles.
I'm glad that FR seen the light, a year ago I was told that FR was debating and testing the Jack antenna. Why don't you guys check tires? I will be glad to drive the test unit around for you to see how they wear...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

Will the jack antenna retrofit easily where my winegard is now?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
I installed the new bi-directional Winegard Rayzar Air antenna. Installed in minutes and went from 10 channels to 16 channels where we were camping at the time, including low band vhf, which is supposed to be questionable with this antenna. HD quality, and looks as good as the Batwing. (Kept the batwing just in case !)
Does this bolt on to the existing base? So I can retrofit without removing screws in the roof and having to seal a new base to the roof of the MH?
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #9

I put a Jack antenna on the Winegard mast. Works great and pulls in many more channels--- some of which I don't get with FIOS at the S&B. It is direction sensitive.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst3 View Post
Does this bolt on to the existing base? So I can retrofit without removing screws in the roof and having to seal a new base to the roof of the MH?
Yes, It bolts right on to the existing batwing mast. Remove the existing antenna from the mast, and bolt the razor onto the same mast. Took about 10 minutes. No need to touch the roof mount.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Old 10-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Do you have a part number for this antenna?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbetzwieser View Post
Do you have a part number for this antenna?
Winegard Rayzar Air Amplified TV Antenna
Old 10-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #13
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If were talking about this one,

It can be seen at:

Jack Aerial Mount HDTV Antenna — 12 1/2in.L x 16in.W x 12 1/4in.H, Model# OA8200 | TV DVD| Northern Tool + Equipment Goods + Toys-_-Electronics-_-27672

Two cousins have had them installed (04 Sunrise coach and a 04 coachman coach) with a slight increase in reception. But have good sleep not worrying about raising or lowering it. A series of lights inside the coach tell the strongest signal. Fits right where the standard crank goes. Just have to drill an slightly larger hole. Now hears the rub. The third cousin had a metal roof (Travel Trailer) and after three days of installing not one, not two, yes three of them it was determined the metal roof causes a ground. Who would of thought.
Attached Images

donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes, It bolts right on to the existing batwing mast. Remove the existing antenna from the mast, and bolt the razor onto the same mast. Took about 10 minutes. No need to touch the roof mount.
Perfect! Thanks. That's going to be my next mod. I've been having troubles picking up some stations. They'll work for a while but the signal is weak and they cut in and out.
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #15

There is an app called TV Towers that helps me to turn my antenna, at least in the general direction, of the strongest stations. It works on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of installing a jack digital antenna on my sunseeker 3170ds I believe it is a fiberglass roof. It sounds like I will have to make the original hole larger. What will be the best method to enlarge the hole. Thanks for all your great information you provide to the site.
scoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #17

Quote:
When you say batwing, which antenna system are you talking about. The old Wineguard Sensor IV or the King Digital?
amishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Just to remind everyone...instead of going through all the trouble installing a new antenna...All new Sunseekers come with the Jack Digital Antenna - Standard.

No work...just more paperwork to sign

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #19

Sure now you tell me. Mine was just in your shop. Could of had them install it.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #20

digital

I just bought the 337 BAR and am having problems getting channels thru the fixed antenna. Not a fan of the new antenna. Does anyone have ideas of troubleshooting to get more channels? I am picking up more digital channels on the bedroom tv, but when I run channel search on living room tv, very little digital and/or analog channels. The cable feeds appear not bad in quality also.
hateuserenames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna