Old 05-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #1

Do it yourself 20,000 maintenance

Thinking of doing my first 20,000 mile service myself due to cost from Mercedes dealer. Is that a bad idea? Any hints or links would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mikeee

Mikeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 PM   #2

I don’t have a Sprinter but I do tow a baby Daimler. Service B is A and brake fluid. So if you have the KSA’s to change the oil and the brake fluid I would say go for it. Mine requires manual trans sauce change at 30k intervals as well. Time consuming but doable. I just replaced the cooling fan for under $200. and 14 hours of my time. MB wanted $1,400 plus the cost of the fan to do it due to my tow plate.

Edit: Dont forget the DEF

Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #3

I do not own a sprinter. Out of pure interest, I did watch some videos. I would recommend watching some ahead of time to give you an idea of what is involved. This one seemed pretty good...
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Not sure if Mercedes changed design or interval since, but a couple observations from our 2012 experience/learnings:
First, on ours 20,000 maintenance includes changing the fuel filter. To get to the fuel filter requires removing the fresh air inlet hose to the turbo. That hose is fitted with a "compensator ring" at the turbo end. Removal and proper re-installation (believe Mercedes says replace the ring each time) is critical. Mercedes has a special service bulletin on proper procedure, including hose clamp torque specs. Improper installation can cause the compensator ring to go into and destroy the turbo.
Second, I understand Mercedes uses some unique hose clamps on the fuel filter that require a special tool. Believe some on the forum have procured the tool from e-bay and/or Amazon.
Third, be sure to use the Mercedes approved oil for you vehicle. Check the Mercedes spec # and verify. I think it is something like Mercedes spec MB229.52.
Fourth, check some You-Tube videos on how to prime the fuel filter.
Fifth, be careful on oil fill level. The computer will sense a slight overfill and trigger a dash warning.

I haven't tried myself yet, so these are from the forum - or, in the case of the compensator ring and the oil overfill, a result of a "qualified" shop errors on my vehicle.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Not sure if Mercedes changed design or interval since, but a couple observations from our 2012 experience/learnings:
First, on ours 20,000 maintenance includes changing the fuel filter. To get to the fuel filter requires removing the fresh air inlet hose to the turbo. That hose is fitted with a "compensator ring" at the turbo end. Removal and proper re-installation (believe Mercedes says replace the ring each time) is critical. Mercedes has a special service bulletin on proper procedure, including hose clamp torque specs. Improper installation can cause the compensator ring to go into and destroy the turbo.
Second, I understand Mercedes uses some unique hose clamps on the fuel filter that require a special tool. Believe some on the forum have procured the tool from e-bay and/or Amazon.
Third, be sure to use the Mercedes approved oil for you vehicle. Check the Mercedes spec # and verify. I think it is something like Mercedes spec MB229.52.
Fourth, check some You-Tube videos on how to prime the fuel filter.
Fifth, be careful on oil fill level. The computer will sense a slight overfill and trigger a dash warning.

I haven't tried myself yet, so these are from the forum - or, in the case of the compensator ring and the oil overfill, a result of a "qualified" shop errors on my vehicle.

All very correct, Mobil 1 ESP 0W/30 meets specs ($5.99 per quart at NAPA right now). Oil change is easy, going to do mine every 10K miles due to towing. Haven't done the Fuel Filter yet but plan to. MB dealer charged me $376 to do it at one year service. I called MB Tech Support and they said it needs to be changed every year or 20K miles whichever comes first. I will change mine every year. Can get all the parts including the Filter, Compensating Ring (Turbo Inlet Seal), and clamps at Europarts of San Diego online for about $138. They have stainless fuel line clamps that do not have the "worm gear tracks" (hose clamps) that should replace the MB Click Clamps no problem. If you want the click clamps you can get them in a kit on Amazon.com and buy the tool separately there. I plan on doing the fuel filter myself also.

I am actually more concerned with the Transmission and when to change fluid. Mine runs hot when towing a 4500 lb jeep up hills. Can get as high as 232 deg on my Ultragauge Blue monitor. Still considering that one, I think you get a AT Hot light at about 240.

My 2016 Isata3 has just over 20K miles now.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:00 AM   #6

I NEVER go to the dealer due to the insane prices they charge. Instead, I use an independent Mercedes specialty shop. They too are Mercedes experts, it's the only brand they work on. They have the same very expensive Mercedes service equipment (like the computer to update your software), etc. And they charge about 50% what the dealer does.

I do my own oil changes with on-sale Mobil 1 ESP every 10,000 miles. But for the critical fuel filter, and the brake fluid, etc, I leave it to the experts who have done it 100 times.

bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance