Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Does the rear view camera have a night mode?

My rear view camera is worthless after dark. There appears to be LEDs around the camera so it looks like it has some kind of night mode. I played with the controls on the rear view monitor and there didn't seem to be any modes as such. There is a brightness level but I haven't tried that after dark though I assume that is for the LCD and not the camera.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #2

see in the dark

The few times I have driven at night I thought so... i will look this evening..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

The rear view camera on our 2011 Sunseeker works great at night. There’s little color but I can see fine. It's a huge help when I back into our unlighted storage splace. It's actually a big help in the daytime. I can't see inside it in the mirrors because the contrast from sunshine to the enclosed space is so great. I sometimes adjust the LCD brightness but that's due to the background light in the cab.

The first time we drove at night I set our toad's parking lights on so I could see it. That turned out to be unnecessary.

Of course, Forest River may have changed suppliers for the camera and monitor since ours was built.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Chief tinkerer

I can see our toad well enough to know its still back there and head lights approaching. I turn down the brightness on the monitor at night because it is too bright in the cab.
Oh, I did recently back into a site after dark at Myrtle Beach and when the backup lights are on you can definitely see where you're backing.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:33 AM   #5

The camera on my 2015 Forester has an infrared night mode. You have a couple units listed In your profile but if you are asking about the 2014 Sunseeker I believe yours has the same camera but I don't know for sure.

With the infrared camera, when it is dark enough it automatically switches over and the image goes into a night mode. If you have the same camera it sounds like your infrared is not working and you're only seeing what the camera sees without it. I think there's something wrong with your camera if you're not seeing a grayish infrared image when it is dark out.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #6

Most backup cameras made in the last few years will have some sort of IR capability. The problem is, you just can't see as far as you can in the day. The reason for this is two-fold. First, the LED illuminators just don't put out that much light. Second, there needs to be something back there for the light to bounce off of, and get back to the camera. So, when backing into a carport, or seeing your toad, you should be fine. But, since the illuminators only have an effective range of 20-30 feet unless something is very close, you just can't see it.

To address this I can think of a couple of options...

if your only concern is seeing what's behind you when you're backing, install a couple of driving lights off the rear bumper. Switch them on when you back up. My coach has a pair of rear-facing halogen "docking lights" that really help.

You can also look for a pair of IR Illuminators: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...in%2Caps%2C565

But, even with the best illuminators out there, you're not going to see at night, like you would during the day...

To test if your current IR LEDs are working, many digital cameras are sensitive to IR light. Check your camera by pointing it at a TV remote while holding down a remote button. If you can see the LED at the front of the remote flashing on your camera screen, your camera sees IR. Just use it to look at your backup camera (with it powered), and you should see the LEDs lit...

Good luck!
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #7

I have the same problem and found that it is a dirty glass on the camera that reflects the camera lights in the dark and causes a glare in the camera that makes it hard to see anything. Try cleaning the glass over the lens.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #8

We have a 2014 Sunseeker 2500TS and a cargo trailer that both have RVS (Rear View Safety) rear view cameras. Both work very well in the dark. Your IR may no be working and causing the problem. Give RVS Support a call at 800-764-1028. They are one of the best support teams on the planet.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #9

I also think there may be something wrong with your IR and would recommend giving Rear View Safety a call.
RV_Fan44 is offline   Reply With Quote