Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #1

Dometic AC Furnace issue

Currently our AC heat system when on the furnace setting, the AC kicks on, I believe fan mode meaning no compressor. Heat is gas, it also coming on, but thermostat will not shut off AC. If we turn the AC breaker off is the only way to get to not run at same time.

This unit is not a heat pump, so they should not be running together.

Any thoughts?

Bad thermostat or jacked up AC?

Thanks
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #2

Check the fan setting, it should be set to "auto". Not low or hi, just had this issue myself.
torino421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
Site Team

The system is designed to operate that way. Run Thermostat on AUTO

See page 9 of manual:
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...structions.pdf

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiemark View Post
Currently our AC heat system when on the furnace setting, the AC kicks on, I believe fan mode meaning no compressor. Heat is gas, it also coming on, but thermostat will not shut off AC. If we turn the AC breaker off is the only way to get to not run at same time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

As the others mentioned most likely your A/C is not coming on, just the fan. If you set the fan settings to auto or AU the fan will no longer run when the furnace kicks on.

As an aside, we leave ours on low (LO) while the furnace is running as we find that it distributes the heat nicely thruout our 5W, the intake for the fan is in the ceiling, heat rises, so it is taken and distributed thru the ducts to the entire camper but YMMV.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The system is designed to operate that way. Run Thermostat on AUTO

See page 9 of manual:
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...structions.pdf

Thanks, this helps!

Our manuals and packet of info that came with the unit, did not include this.

We did not realize there was fan settings, and must of accidentally changed from Auto, to the high setting.

Will double check settings, from looking at manual, probably working as designed, just threw us for a loop.

Appreciate everyone's comments.

Thanks,
Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Team

FR does a pitiful job of providing manuals and documentation which is one reason this forum is so valuable. It is very unlikely that someone has not experienced what ever problem you have and has found a solution. I did not receive the thermostat manual either, but found it on line. Many of the components used in FR products are manufactured by other companies as standard products. Get your model numbers ( may have to visually inspect components) and search for manuals.

Back to the AC fan, As heat rises having the AC fan on helps circulate the warm air near the ceiling. You can try both ways and pick the best for you,

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
TGR

My 5th-Wheel was delivered with the fan set to "Hi." Others have said the same thing. Either the thermostat starts out set this way or the factory checkout procedure sets the thermostat to this setting as part of their checkout.

I was initially concerned because I didn't know it was the A/C fan and I didn't want the fan on continuously when boon docking. Thankfully, I stumbled across the thermostat setting and resolved the problem.

I'm taking the trailer to Florida in less than 2 weeks. When there, I will try out Flybob's suggestion and run the A/C fan on "Lo." I reversed the ceiling fan and thought that worked well but the A/C fan may work well too if it doesn't add too much fan noise.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markiemark View Post

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Well mark mine will do the same if I don't have the fan mode in AUTO, reset the fan mode and it should be corrected.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
I was initially concerned because I didn't know it was the A/C fan and I didn't want the fan on continuously when boon docking. Thankfully, I stumbled across the thermostat setting and resolved the problem.
I know you got it figured out but for future reference the fan only runs on AC (110V) anyway so it would not affect battery life.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, furnace