Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
Dometic Frig not cooling properly

2013 Sunseeker 3170DS and the Dometic frig is DM2652. The frig was working fine at home as I pre-cooled the unit before heading to NC outer banks. Once here both top freezer and frig seemed fine. HOWEVER, as it turns out the frig has gotten warmer over the past few days and now is barely cool inside.

I have tried it on gas with no different results and waiting for the local service guy to look at it. No ammonia leek or other issue that I can see with the outside cover off. Not sure what to look at next but there does not seem to be much cooling air moving.

So the question is has anyone added a cooling fan to the back side to draw more air out from the coils and how did you do it? It does seem to be fairly warm in the back and other than the few vents on the cover not much air flow going on. Thanks Patrcik

aydodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
Is your rig leveled? Make sure thermister did not fall out of clip on right fin.

2016 Forester GTS 2801QSF
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
The vehicle is sitting on level concrete pad so that is not an issue. I think I need to investigate some additional air movement through the frig stack to help this tiny unit out on hot days. Just looking for someone that might have done that and how they did it.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
Good info here:
2015 T12RBST Flagstaff Hardside
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team
I did a Search here on FRF (didn't have to go to another site) on the term "refrigerator cooling fan" (quotation marks included). That search produced some favorable results. If you don't get sufficient information, change refrigerator to fridge or Dometic or something else and search again. The info. is there. Several members here, including OldCoot and maybe TURBS have made this mod.
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
This is the thread I bookmarked, regarding adding additional fans, haven't done it yet but plan to soon...

Dometic fridge wide temp swings
Linda & Paul
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8292WS
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercab,
3.5L V-6 Ecoboost
Time-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
thanks for the info.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
Fridge not cooling

We encountered the same issue with our dometic refrigerator earlier this summer on a VERY HOT weekend. The trailer was level side to side, and front to back. It had worked well at home pre-trip, but once we arrived it got HOT. We found the small, factory installed cooling fan in the back was running periodically, but not sufficient to remove the heat from the back of the fridge. I installed two small 12 volt fans on the top exhaust grid blowing out, and put them on a switch vs the usual heat sensing device. Seems to work well, and it definitely pulls air up from the bottom grid over the cooling fins.
Safetntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
Check out this website for parts.

He not only supplies the cooling units and control boards but fans, etc to help the fridges work better. On an earlier unit I had to replace the cooling unit and the board, but when I was done it cooled better than when it left the factory. The owner is also a wealth of knowledge on absorption refrigeration and he will readily talk with you on the phone.
Good Luck
Maurice, LA

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
1973 Layton 23' (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
Originally Posted by aydodster View Post
thanks for the info.
Please be sure to report back on your progress or resolution of the problem. All these knowledgeable folks offering advice really appreciate knowing the outcome the diagnosis and the solution after it is determined on your end

Thank you

Tom48 is online now   Reply With Quote

cooling, dometic