Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Dometic Frig not cooling properly

2013 Sunseeker 3170DS and the Dometic frig is DM2652. The frig was working fine at home as I pre-cooled the unit before heading to NC outer banks. Once here both top freezer and frig seemed fine. HOWEVER, as it turns out the frig has gotten warmer over the past few days and now is barely cool inside.

I have tried it on gas with no different results and waiting for the local service guy to look at it. No ammonia leek or other issue that I can see with the outside cover off. Not sure what to look at next but there does not seem to be much cooling air moving.

So the question is has anyone added a cooling fan to the back side to draw more air out from the coils and how did you do it? It does seem to be fairly warm in the back and other than the few vents on the cover not much air flow going on. Thanks Patrcik
aydodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #2

Is your rig leveled? Make sure thermister did not fall out of clip on right fin.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #3

The vehicle is sitting on level concrete pad so that is not an issue. I think I need to investigate some additional air movement through the frig stack to help this tiny unit out on hot days. Just looking for someone that might have done that and how they did it.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Good info here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/extr...elp-94770.html

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
Site Team

I did a Search here on FRF (didn't have to go to another site) on the term "refrigerator cooling fan" (quotation marks included). That search produced some favorable results. If you don't get sufficient information, change refrigerator to fridge or Dometic or something else and search again. The info. is there. Several members here, including OldCoot and maybe TURBS have made this mod.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

This is the thread I bookmarked, regarding adding additional fans, haven't done it yet but plan to soon...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=108981
3.5L V-6 Ecoboost
Time-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

thanks for the info.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #8

Fridge not cooling

We encountered the same issue with our dometic refrigerator earlier this summer on a VERY HOT weekend. The trailer was level side to side, and front to back. It had worked well at home pre-trip, but once we arrived it got HOT. We found the small, factory installed cooling fan in the back was running periodically, but not sufficient to remove the heat from the back of the fridge. I installed two small 12 volt fans on the top exhaust grid blowing out, and put them on a switch vs the usual heat sensing device. Seems to work well, and it definitely pulls air up from the bottom grid over the cooling fins.
Safetntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Check out this website for parts.

http://rvcoolingunit.com/

He not only supplies the cooling units and control boards but fans, etc to help the fridges work better. On an earlier unit I had to replace the cooling unit and the board, but when I was done it cooled better than when it left the factory. The owner is also a wealth of knowledge on absorption refrigeration and he will readily talk with you on the phone.
Good Luck
Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydodster View Post
thanks for the info.
Please be sure to report back on your progress or resolution of the problem. All these knowledgeable folks offering advice really appreciate knowing the outcome the diagnosis and the solution after it is determined on your end

Thank you
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

Really appreciate the help.

Unit is still in NC while I had to run home for a vet appt. I plan on installing the 12v fan atop the vent chamber when I get her home next week. Once done, I will post a pic or two of the work. The assembled minds here are the greatest resource I can find and appreciate the many suggestions and links passed on. Thanks to all that posted suggestions. Patrick
Old 09-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #12

RV Frridge

I have the opposite problem with the fridge in our Flagstaff trailer: I can't make it stop freezing every thing. I have a battery operated small fan in place, have adjusted the slider thingy with no avail. The fridge has become a PIA, actually. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem? By the way, I have opened the outside panel, cleaned the backside with compressed air, etc. No obstructions are present. It freezes on 12v or 120v.
T True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by T True View Post
I have the opposite problem with the fridge in our Flagstaff trailer: I can't make it stop freezing every thing. I have a battery operated small fan in place, have adjusted the slider thingy with no avail. The fridge has become a PIA, actually. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem? By the way, I have opened the outside panel, cleaned the backside with compressed air, etc. No obstructions are present. It freezes on 12v or 120v.
According to the manual if the thermistor is bad the fridge will go into limp mode and continue to run on the last available energy source.

You can test the thermistor by unplugging it and putting it in ice water. Give it a few seconds and them read the resistance with an ohm meter. It should read somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000Ω.

ETA -- Forgot to mention. Make sure that the thermistor is in the plastic clip and it's about the center of it. It should also be clipped on the far right fin.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Suggest putting dual fans just above the burner at the bottom of the frig, not at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans 1.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	119657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual fans2.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	119658  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #15

simple things first

on the top right inside of the frid is a plastic slide. make sure the thermistor (the little tube with a fat top at the end) is stays put when you adjust the slide up and down. very small pieces of foam will keep it in place, a piece of electrical tape can be used at the end of the wire to show if it has moved.

not a repair, but this will eliminate one possible easy cause of high temps due to the thermistor is not being elevated high enough.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, dometic