Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Unhappy Door Issue on 2013 3170DS

We had an unfortunate experience with our Coach. Apparently there was a rash of break ins in our neighborhood. The gang was stealing the batteries and propane tanks from the Travel Trailers in the area. They, of course could not steal ours, being inside the coach, but did try to pry open the door the with a craw bar. Good news is that the bolt in the door is a lot better than I thougt, and they could not open it. Good job there, Forest River. However the did do some considerable damage to the door and the frame. Luckily, they did not do any damage to the coach's panels. Here is the problem though. I took it to the dealer about a month and a half ago. One story after the next I was told that the door have been changed for the "new model" and that they would have to custom made the door which is why is taking this long. My question is what "new model" ? I thought 2013 was the new model. Is this accurate or I'm I being taken?
Cjhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

Contact the factory, I've looked at units that were new and the door was the same as mine....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Thanks! Will do!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Don't know why something as simple as a door warrants so many posts, but it sure is a troublesome item. Just before we left on this trip, I couldn't get the door to close. After tweaking, measuring, and twisting, found that the 'studs' that mate into the latch needed to be screwed out a half turn. The only thought I have as to why is that it was a 20 deg morning.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjhernandez
We had an unfortunate experience with our Coach. Apparently there was a rash of break ins in our neighborhood. The gang was stealing the batteries and propane tanks from the Travel Trailers in the area. They, of course could not steal ours, being inside the coach, but did try to pry open the door the with a craw bar. Good news is that the bolt in the door is a lot better than I thougt, and they could not open it. Good job there, Forest River. However the did do some considerable damage to the door and the frame. Luckily, they did not do any damage to the coach's panels. Here is the problem though. I took it to the dealer about a month and a half ago. One story after the next I was told that the door have been changed for the "new model" and that they would have to custom made the door which is why is taking this long. My question is what "new model" ? I thought 2013 was the new model. Is this accurate or I'm I being taken?
2014's are just coming out, may be part of your problem.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

This happened in January. Were the new 2014 doors out then?
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Just had mine replaced a week ago. They had one in stock at the service center for my 2013. They all look the same. Very standard door and used amongst many many manufacturers in Indiana. Very simple change out, provided you don't have to paint the door to match like mine. Mine looked a little better before the swap out, but I can live with it.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #8

So I'm assuming that took care of the latch gap? I'm up next I guess if that worked for you. Now I just have convince my dealer. Driving from FL to Indiana isn't really an option unless last resort.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

The gap is not as small as some I saw posted on here, but the striker plate is now covered. My old door closed a little better, but after some tweeking I'll get this one to close the same. I wouldn't hesitate letting a good dealer / service center do the work. It's the paint / body shop that really makes or breaks the deal for me. Neither the FR service center nor myself was satisfied with the paint job on my door, but I was on such a time crunch to get back to work, I just had to leave with it as is. Forest River did tell me before I left, if I didn't like it, find the body shop of my choice around home to redo it, let them know and Forest River would pay for it. Just the gesture lets you know what kind of people they are. I've done some touch up and polishing / buffing on it and it looks about as good as the original now. Good thing I worked in a body shop before offshore as I have a little skill with the paint stuff.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Plain Old Member

Shouldn't even mention this, but I went to Nexus while up there out of curiosity, and they use the exact same door. Every one of their units had a perfect gap, latch covered and so on. My honest opinion, it's all in the installation. Though the door is pre-hung, the sides can be moved a little / shimmed to adjust that gap. I looked at a LOT of doors in different places up there. Some had the left side of the frame shimmed in with some small shims on the striker plate, some had no shims. So, bet you I could take a new one and make it right the first time, by just taking a little time and making minor adjustments. The are a little flimsy until screwed into the opening.

One other problem door related that I have, is the bedroom sliding door. The walls are crooked in my unit, and the service center agreed and said there was nothing they can do about it. The door has to hang crooked on the track to mate up with the wall and latch. When slid back into the stored position, the bottom sticks out past the wall (bathroom side) about 2". I verified with a large square, and indeed the exterior wall is nowhere close to square with the floor or ceiling. Guess I'll have to post a picture. It's just something I'll have to live with. I'm not tearing a whole motorhome apart just for one door. It functions, but cosmetically looks bad. No offense to FR, but I think mine was built on a monday. As long as they're human made, mistakes like this will be around. If I show up to work in a bad mood, my work will more than likely be affected. I'm sure it happens there.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #11

Hello, I sent you a PM about the door issue. Thanks!
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #12

Finally after 2 months, got the coach back today!! Time to go camping with the fam!!! They did a pretty good job.